Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #4066
Korphoenix31
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Pete View Post
Aright after much reading and debate with myself on the NX250 pages here.
I have decided to post a pic of the clan at the Hondarosa! the blue one is the latest to make it home .
what can you tell me about this white nx 250 on the end it is the exact bike i just bought
Korphoenix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:52 AM   #4067
valvecrusher OP
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,711
Laugh what did your nx do today?

Mirror, Mirror on the wall,

WHO has the knarliest NX front knobs of them all?

~ " Greetings ADVenturer, i heed your call,
Why, certainly...it's valvecrusher, whose most knarliest of all.
His contoured front brake rotor is what the cool peep's rock,
it's a trick looking piece, and works better than stock"

~thanks, mirror.... VC......

(click to enlarge)

KT-9661 DOT 110/90-19 , Tusk wave rotor, Daystar #00058 fork boots,
new NMB bearings, Tusk brake pads, DOT4 Prestone brake fluid
It's got 5mm clearance between each fork tube...without the fork brace

This size tire is TOO BIG for the stock fork fender brace.
The tire rotated, but you could hear the knobs rubbing the fork brace, as well as the fiberglass of the low fender.
While prototyping a new 'low-style' front fender, it has already been a sharp reminder in the 'non-planted drunkish' steering feel of running without the fork brace...

The Shinko 244 lasted 14,000 miles with a brake pad(lockup) failure and crappy dragging wheel bearings. Traction was predictable and reasonable in dirt, gravel, woods, and kinda iffy in clay mud(what isn't?)..

The Shinko244 performed as expected, and will certainly going to ride 244's on my XRL, and KLR.(better size choice)....
and i might put a 4.60x17 or 5.10x17 on the REAR of the NX soon..... didn't worry about the Shinko when riding, confident after a thousand miles..

Overall, the skinny size being the only one offered made me look for options. If the 244 was available in 3.25, 3.00, or 3.5, would have gladly purchased another.
And when this KT dies, will happily go back to the 244 in 2.75, or maybe try something that's new by then?

KT-9661...Terraflex
This KT tire reminded me of a Terraflex rear, and was DOT legal. And I bought it for around $60 total to the door....

Durability is a question...off-road traction looks maximized, and the on road has already been tested to a decent lean at a moderate speed..

New low style front fender + fork brace and full writeup soon...

The Primary NX hit 34,000 miles and is on supercruise to 'the big flip'!
What did YOUR NX250, AX1 or XL 250 degree do today?

valvecrusher screwed with this post 04-12-2011 at 04:19 AM
valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #4068
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 719
Nice work Valve Destroying one

What did my AX-1 do today?

It came back to life

New throttle and clutch cables, new indicators, new switches for the throttle hand side, new radiator cap, new headlamp cowl (secondhand, repainted), fixed and repainted side panels with new stickers, straightened mountings for all front bits and plastic welded the rear fender mounts (again), new brake lever, new brake reservior and clamps & new mirrors.

Total repair cost =$180.

Tomorrow is shakedown day and get new handgrips day.

Then on Wednesday I, plus one more AX-1, one XR400, ONE xr250 and my DR ( driven by a friend) go for a five day ride
Jacl-Kampuchea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #4069
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,997
lookie lookie all the busy bees working on their old bikes

how nice

I will join the foray

VC that tire looks serious!

JK she looks as good as when you first got her

mine
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #4070
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 285
Custom Made Saddlebag / Panners frames

I just finished my latest addition to my NX250 Web Page.
http://powers31.info/Side_Luggage_Frames.htm
Scroll down and click on the text... " Building Instructions (pdf file) "

I hope there aren't to many errors in it.

Was a fun project that took about 2 weeks (part time) to finish.
I'm not real up on metric hardware. If there are any errors, feel free to let me know. l38p@comcast.net

Total spent, not counting the EMT pipe bender tool, was about $30.00/ bike.
( Factoring the bender, about $45.00/ bike. )
That includes purchasing all metric hardware to replace ones removed for added lengths where necessary.
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #4071
Huck369
Huckster

Oddometer: 84
Nice write up...

Thanks for posting it....
Huck369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #4072
ArthDuro
quarantined

Nice write up Larry, and the racks look great.
Thanks for taking the time to do such a detailed overlook of the fabrication.
I think you may inspire a lot of folks to try it out.

a big thumbs up
+ momento mori +
Old 04-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #4073
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Looking for engine paint

Thanks Huck & Arth

Any one know the color of the engine paint for my 1990 NX250.
It's a brownish color. I though of having my local auto supply store mix up a color but I need something to show them as a sample.

Thought of taking a pix and showing them, but when printing out, the shade may not look exactly same.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #4074
Jetson67
Packrat from Hell!!!

Oddometer: 5
Anyone have a factory rack for an NX250 they would like to part with?
I picked up a cherry NX with, get this, 340 miles on it. It has been in storage all its life. 1989 tag, 1989 gas(goo), 1989-2011 layers of dust.
Will post some pics once I get it reassembled from carb rebuild.
Jetson67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:53 AM   #4075
SaDoW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
for 6 months i am rebuilding my NX and now i am in the last 100 meters
1 month to go and i will be riding it ..!!!

now i want to ask something as you now our beloved NX doesnt have .. how do you say it .... the think that tell you how much fuel you have in your tank ( fuel gauge i think) is it possible to put something like that? Has someone done it ???
Thank you
Regards from Greece....

Shit ... my english are ...damn....
SaDoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #4076
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Fuel Gage

SaDoW

My NX has been quite consistant at going on reserve at about 140 miles ( road travel / averaging about 45 mph ) and slightly less with some off road. I have been getting between 75 & 80 mpg.

I don't know of any gas gages except keeping track of miles traveled.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #4077
RollingJ
The mud in your eye

Oddometer: 234
Once there was a nice little motorcycle. It had lived it's life pampered in a dry garage, thoughtfully cared for and maintained, and on the back of a motorhome. The first few years took Sweet Little NX to many campgrounds and small towns across the western states. The years past and the trips became fewer, until they stopped, and she stood still.

For a long, long time.

Then the owners got sick, and sold her off cheap to pay for more dialysis. Tearfully, she departed her owners company. Soon she came to a new garage next to house in which a family was growing, and that garage was full of intimidating gear and bigger bikes. They all teased her and called her names, but when it was time to break in the kids to riding, Sweet Little NX was there. She taught that a little fear is a good thing, and that knowledge, skill, and courage can overcome more than you had imagined. She was dropped a few times, but always picked right back up and brushed off thoroughly.

The bigger bikes liked the way the riders came to them, full of drive and ready to twist the throttle and fly through the woods, so they stopped laughing and let her 'ride the table' like the rest of them when it was time for fresh oil.

She was happy, but felt like something was missing. She was getting older and since the kids had grown she never got outside anymore, much less went on any adventures. Her second owners knew it was time to let her go, so an ad was posted, a transaction was handled, and a much longer-in-the-tooth Little NX was rolled onto a trailer and down the road.

Next to this house, there was no garage, carport or tarp. There was only a slab of concrete under a big red oak, with a white work truck full of tools to act as wind break.

The first few nights were cold and wet, sending chills through her antifreeze. Would this new owner let her rust?

When the rain cleared one night she could see through the blowing leaves of the tree thousands of stars shining down on her, like she had not seen in years.

Her new owner took the time to get to know her, and gently cleaned the parts that had been left alone for so long. He bought her a new CDI and dug into her electrical connectors. He dreamed of better dirt tires. He was getting her ready for something she was sure, but the short test rides among the pines thrilled her and brought back most of the youthful vigor she knew she still possessed. Even though she sometimes fell down, she felt alive again.

She wasn't breathing right, and as much as she was enjoying longer rides and tougher terrain than she had faced before, she had to hold something back. Her idle was very inconsistent, and sometimes would hang or race nearly out of control. Her owner lovingly cleaned her carb, but nothing seemed to help. She was getting dangerous to ride, and one day it caught up to her.

Coming around a sweeping gravel turn at about 35 mph, the rpms jumped, and the rider over reacted. Her front brake locked, and they both tumbled to a stop in a pile of broken glass and phalanges.

Sweet Little NX was badly damaged. Her faring was ripped off and thrown aside, her brackets bent and disfigured, the taillight was broken, the frame was tweaked, and her headlight...

...let's not talk about her headlight. Imagine the worst and you are very close.

She lay there with her ignition on, her life force draining away, while the rider slowly regained composure. He held his broken thumb and walked to her, reaching out to turn the key to off.

It was too late.

He lifted her to her wheels and steadied her against the tree they somehow avoided in the may-lay. He gathered her broken body parts and stowed them in the tailbag, he beat her pegs into usability with a rock, and he bent her rear brake lever to point in the right direction. He rested, and wished he had a partner on this ride.

He threw his leg around her, and squeezing half a clutch lever, he pushed her starter.

Silence. Deafening silence.

Then a jerk, a bump and twist on her throttle and she sprang to life as the concussed rider push started her back to consciousness and they limped out of the riding area and rolled slowly home.

Sweet Little NX was battered beyond casual recognition, and if she and the rider were to continue, drastic changes needed to be made.

Sweet Little NX died on the table that night, but The Six Million Dollar NX was born.

Exhaust removed and frame straightened...
Carb thoroughly cleaned, including the clogged right vent this time...
Air filter, oil, antifreeze, thermostat...
Carb to manifold o-ring...
Headlight bracket removed...
Mounting points ground from the steering stem...
Speedo/tach removed...
Custom wiring harness fabricated...
New battery...
Starter motor rebuilt...
Cr high bend bars, cut one inch on each side...
Tusk hand/lever guard...
Tank plastics cut down...
Polisport MMX headlight...
Acerbis SM front fender, stock fork brace...
Stock 19" front wheel with Shinko 244 2.75x19...
17" 84 xr350l rear wheel shod with Shinko 244 4.60x17 rubber...
License plate bracket fabricated with lights and markers from AutoZone...
Passenger pegs removed and stored in tailbag...
Stickers removed...
Parts acquired but not yet installed: 21" 84 xr350l front wheel shod with Shinko 244 3.00x21 and stainless steel front brake line with master cylinder fittings to allow more lever movement for standing.

Now she laughs as she flies down trail, re-born.

Life, and change, is good.

These photos are huge if you follow the links.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #4078
ArthDuro
quarantined

oh man
that was a fun read

what a way to bring'er back
great work Joel

and you forgot to tell people about your mirrors and pegs
+ momento mori +
Old 04-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #4079
RollingJ
The mud in your eye

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post
oh man
that was a fun read

what a way to bring'er back
great work Joel

and you forgot to tell people about your mirrors and pegs
Those were on before the big get-off.

Emgo enduro folding mirrors...
$18 ebay wide pegs, no springs...
Ugly but comfortable Sterns ATV seat pad...
Clutch and throttle cables...
Rear brake rod up top...

I'm about to throw down $225 for a custom SeatConcepts seat, and
if I find a fork brace I like I may go 21" on the front.

I had trouble with the 17" rear when I had a second hand 130/90-17 D606 on there. I had horrible head shake above 60, so it came right off. I attributed it to the height of tire changing the rake/trail/sweep geometry, but I was wrong. It was the tire. The 4.60-17 Shinko 244 rear feels GREAT with stock gearing and a 2.75-19 Shinko 244 front. I may not go through with changing the front, it's that good.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #4080
gusseman
nx 250

Oddometer: 8
Talking Problems with the speedo.

Hi I've searched the forum but havent found anything that was at any help to me (or I didnt understand it, Im not a good mechanic Im afraid)

The thing is the km. counter and trip meter in the dashboard has stopped working, but the speedometer is still functioning. Has anybody experienced the same problem? Do you think it can be fixed or will I need to replace the dashboard?

Hope you can help
Thanks!
gusseman is offline   Reply With Quote