Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2011, 05:35 AM   #4081
RollingJ
The mud in your eye

Oddometer: 235
It is most likely that a little plastic gear inside the meter has broken. It is very, very unlikely you can fix it. The meters were sold as a unit, a $400 part no longer in production.

I have a one with a crack on the edge of the faceplate I might sell.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:13 AM   #4082
Huck369
Huckster

Oddometer: 70
I also have one, but it is a MPH one, not a KM one that you would need in Denmark....
Huck369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #4083
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusseman View Post
Hi I've searched the forum but havent found anything that was at any help to me (or I didnt understand it, Im not a good mechanic Im afraid)

The thing is the km. counter and trip meter in the dashboard has stopped working, but the speedometer is still functioning. Has anybody experienced the same problem? Do you think it can be fixed or will I need to replace the dashboard?

Hope you can help
Thanks!
You should just look for another speedo assembly to put in there
it is almost impossibe to take apart and if you do I can see you having real trouble putting it back together as the speedo has a tonne of parts that are pressed and riveted together. It is possible that one of the gears has either broken or been knocked out of place putting it back will be a hard task indeed. If you open one you will see what I mean.

I suggest getting a used one off ebay, getting a quality bike speedometer, or switching to a vapour or something similar.
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #4084
gusseman
nx 250

Oddometer: 8
speedo problems

Thanks for your help guys. I do know where to get an used original speedo for the nx250, but the problem is that it says that it has gone 60.000 km., and mine has only gone 26.000 km, so it wouldnt look that good if I would want to sell it some day. Is it possible to re-adjust those figures?
And is it a problem that the unit comes out of a md21 and not the md25 like mine is, or will it fit right on? (they look similar)

bastropjoel: Thanks, maybe I will get back to you on that speedo.

Huck369: Yeah I will want to get one in km/h. But thanks.

ArthDuro: Maybe I will get something like the Vapor, lokks pretty cool (but not original) and should save some weight at the same time. Think it will cause a lot of problems to fit it on to the bike?

Any other good suguestions to a speedo that would fit the nx250? Has any done the conversion? (pics )
gusseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #4085
CurtW
Thumper

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusseman View Post
Any other good suguestions to a speedo that would fit the nx250? Has any done the conversion? (pics )
just velcro a Garmin Forerunner 201 right over the Honda plastic. It'll be more accurate than the original speedo, and includes a compass and a few more features (average speed, etc.). There's one on eBay right now, still under US$30.

CurtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #4086
gusseman
nx 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtW View Post
just velcro a Garmin Forerunner 201 right over the Honda plastic. It'll be more accurate than the original speedo, and includes a compass and a few more features (average speed, etc.). There's one on eBay right now, still under US$30.

Thanks for the idea but I need something to install permanantly.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:50 PM   #4087
Leo.G
Is still learning

Oddometer: 359
Hi!

I've already introduced myself in the "Let's see your bike" thread, so i'll copy that..
Jeje!

I'm Leo, from a little town in Córdoba, Argentina. I'm 17, and I'm still at high school, je

My bike may be a little small, comparing it with the ones you all are used to.. jej!

Mine is a Honda NX 150, it was made in 1993, it's Brazilian, and the design is VERY MUCH like the NX 250...

My bike is also similar to the NX 125, and I guess it is the same engine, but taken to 150cc.

It's a pretty agile bike, and its engine gives me 16HP, although it is a small engine, for me it is a really good bike, and of course, it has some details, like the cam chain (i have to change it) and also i have to change the secondary axis of the gearbox (i'll look for the correct name in English, sorry if it is bad written)...

Well, I guess it's time for some photos!

It's all for now...
I hope we will exchange info and so about the bikes, and enjoy a good time "talking" together..

Greetings from Argentina!
And sorry if i made mistakes, i'm just an english estudent...

Leo.G screwed with this post 04-21-2011 at 07:02 PM
Leo.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #4088
MotoRover
Yarr

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
Hi!

I've already introduced myself in the "Let's see your bike" thread, so i'll copy that..
Jeje!

I'm Leo, from a little town in Córdoba, Argentina. I'm 17, and I'm still at high school, je

My bike may be a little small, comparing it with the ones you all are used to.. jej!

Mine is a Honda NX 150, it was made in 1993, it's Brazilian, and the design is VERY MUCH like the NX 250...

My bike is also similar to the NX 125, and I guess it is the same engine, but taken to 150cc.

It's a pretty agile bike, and its engine gives me 16HP, although it is a small engine, for me it is a really good bike, and of course, it has some details, like the cam chain (i have to change it) and also i have to change the secondary axis of the gearbox (i'll look for the correct name in English, sorry if it is bad written)...

Well, I guess it's time for some photos!

It's all for now...
I hope we will exchange info and so about the bikes, and enjoy a good time "talking" together..

Greetings from Argentina!
And sorry if i made mistakes, i'm just an english estudent...
Welcome aboard Leo!
In looks the nx 150 is similar to the nx 250, and that is also where the similarities pretty much end. Enginewise they are not the same; air cooled vs water cooled.

I enjoy NX photo's anyhow!

Motorover

MotoRover screwed with this post 04-22-2011 at 06:35 AM
MotoRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:57 AM   #4089
Leo.G
Is still learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoRover View Post
Welcome aboard Leo!
In looks the nx 150 is similar to the nx 250, and that is also where the similarities pretty much end. Enginewise they are not the same; air cooled vs water cooled.

I enjoy NX photo's anyhow!

Motorover
Yes, of course, i guess that this engine doesn't need to be water cooled, it doesn't have so much power for that, but it goes pretty well, as I already said..

There was also a Brazilian NX 125, like mine, but the most that i've seen were white. And we had also the NX 200 from Brazil, it was just like mine but with different faring's colors, and a slightly bigger engine..

Also here we had another Brazilian one, the NX 350 Sahara, that looks like Transalp, not the new 650cc one, but like the older 600cc.

If you want me to, I could bring some photos to the thread, to show you your bikes's Sudamerican sisters, je.

Greetings!
Old 04-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #4090
mito-nx
Dutch Humor

Oddometer: 57
The NX has a coolant outlet underneath the carburator.
It is a aluminium housing with a chrome-iron pipe in it.
The seal is a rubber ring.
With the new 1993 and later it is a small ring, but with my 1988 it is a wide one of aprox 5 milimeter.
Well that is the ring I am surching for, but Honda does not suply it anymore..
Does anyone know a replacement part..?
mito-nx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #4091
Leo.G
Is still learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mito-nx View Post
The NX has a coolant outlet underneath the carburator.
It is a aluminium housing with a chrome-iron pipe in it.
The seal is a rubber ring.
With the new 1993 and later it is a small ring, but with my 1988 it is a wide one of aprox 5 milimeter.
Well that is the ring I am surching for, but Honda does not suply it anymore..
Does anyone know a replacement part..?
But isn't there where you live any store that could sell you that ring?
Haven't you got the size and measures of the piece?

I guess that if you go to a good hardware store that sells o rings, it may have some like that one that you need...
Or some ring like that one, and maybe with some little modifications, you could make it work there...

Leo.G screwed with this post 04-22-2011 at 02:25 PM
Old 04-23-2011, 05:14 AM   #4092
gusseman
nx 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
Yes, of course, i guess that this engine doesn't need to be water cooled, it doesn't have so much power for that, but it goes pretty well, as I already said..

There was also a Brazilian NX 125, like mine, but the most that i've seen were white. And we had also the NX 200 from Brazil, it was just like mine but with different faring's colors, and a slightly bigger engine..

Also here we had another Brazilian one, the NX 350 Sahara, that looks like Transalp, not the new 650cc one, but like the older 600cc.

If you want me to, I could bring some photos to the thread, to show you your bikes's Sudamerican sisters, je.

Greetings!
Nice to see your bike. Didnt know that they made all those different nx models. Wouldnt mind seeing some pics of the other models. Greetings from Denmark!
Old 04-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #4093
Leo.G
Is still learning

Well, I guess that maybe NX's are so good motorbikes that Honda made a lot of models with different engines, but, i know that most NX's were made in Honda's industrial complex in Manaus, Brazil, like mine..

Talking about models, we should start from the NX 125, and i've made a mistake, there wasn't a Brazilian one, the ones that i've found on the internet are all Japanese...
I've been told that this bike has the same engine as the old CB 125, but I don't really know..

There was also an NX 125 called "Transcity", that is more like the NX 250..
I guess these are Japanese, but I don't really know..

Then was the NX 150, like mine, i've already talked of them so y I'll put some photos of bikes with different colours to mine..

Then, was the NX 200, that shared almost everything with mine, but it had different colours too, and different engine obviously, it was also from Brazil..
I knew that this bike shared engine with the Brazilian XR and XL 200...

Also, we could find the NX 350 "Sahara" that is the one similar (for me, at least..) to the old Transalp, but smaller.

The newer NX 400 "Falcon", all i know is that it is very expensive here and that it's engine is based on Sahara's one..

And that is the family, except for the NX 250, AX-1, and the NX 650 dominator, that you all already know...
Greetings!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #4094
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 257
Chain Drive Parts

Any one have a link to the parts breakdown of the front & rear drive sprockets on the 1990 NX250?

All the parts breakdown's I've found don't show the chain or sprockets.
I'm looking for the sprocket detail.
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:45 AM   #4095
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
My NX runs really well, but it makes some funny noises under high-load conditions. When I'm going down the road and I nail the throttle, it makes a mechanical clattering/knocking that sounds kind of like piston slap. The motor is nice and quiet other than that. It doesn't sound good to me, but the bike runs so well that I'm inclined to think that nothing is wrong. Is this a normal noise?