Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #4396
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
Anybody have a front brake caliper? Jill's bike has the pin bolt for the pads totally frozen and stripped. Took me forever just to get the little threaded cap that protects the allen head of the actual bolt out, only to find that the bolt itself is phucked.

Don't stress, check ebay and see what is there. I had to get one a little while ago and a few folks helped.
I don't have one you can have but I know that you can get any other two pot caliper and get a bracket made up
for mounting on the cheapo.
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #4397
ArthDuro
quarantined

UCRONIANO welcome / bienvenido
thanks for the info.

The bash plate you got going is one of the better looking solutions yet and it looks like it would protect the water pump some.
However that is not what you find stock on a 85 xl250r here in North America or at least not on any of the ones I have seen. It is encouraging to see that other plates can be made to work.

How involved was it in terms of fitment? Cutting, drilling etc.
+ momento mori +
Old 08-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #4398
ArthDuro
quarantined

Speaking of electric problems. I had the headlight going out for a while.
It totally drove me nuts, as I like to ride lights hehe.
Tried to diagnose the problem for a while using all sorts of checks and yaddy yadda, nothing.

Then I started it one day and the light was on and I was like what the hell.
Pushed the start button again and the light went off. Turns out the starter switch was cutting the light as it is supposed to while starting to save juice but the button was not springing back far enough to engage the switch again.
Simple thing but can cause grief.
+ momento mori +
Old 08-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #4399
firecat318
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Thanks for the help with the GPS guys - I decided to just purchase a battery tender and a female cigarette lighter plugin - it worked perfectly and was very easy to install, even for me

However, I have another question - If I leave the charger of the GPS plugged into the female cigarette port, but have the charger unplugged from the gps, will this still drain the battery? I think the answer is yes because even with the key of the motorcycle off, the GPS charger still has a red light glowing on it, which means it's getting power. I say this because if it didn't drain the battery I could simply store the charger under the seat of the bike and keep it out of the rain, and then simply run the end that plugs into the GPS up under the gas tank and that would be the only thing exposed.

firecat318 screwed with this post 08-08-2011 at 12:51 PM
firecat318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #4400
UCRONIANO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
re

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post
UCRONIANO welcome / bienvenido
thanks for the info.

The bash plate you got going is one of the better looking solutions yet and it looks like it would protect the water pump some.
However that is not what you find stock on a 85 xl250r here in North America or at least not on any of the ones I have seen. It is encouraging to see that other plates can be made to work.

How involved was it in terms of fitment? Cutting, drilling etc.

Arthduro Hi, thanks for the welcome, this forum is very good.
About the skid plate, the bike here in Chile is very common xl250. You can use other similar off-road bike ... which I installed on my bike had to be cut and drilled in their ends in only two sectors for installation,had to be bent manually, I am very securely and protects the water pump to perfection, greetings!

UCRONIANO screwed with this post 08-08-2011 at 01:33 PM
UCRONIANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #4401
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post
Don't stress, check ebay and see what is there. I had to get one a little while ago and a few folks helped.
I don't have one you can have but I know that you can get any other two pot caliper and get a bracket made up
for mounting on the cheapo.
My back up plan is a DR350 caliper we have kicking around. It actually slides right on the NX mount bracket, but the DR pads interfere with the NX bracket and the DR bracket is missing materiel to drill a bolt hole.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #4402
s3it
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronhk_md View Post
Anyone know if these CDIs work for the NX, and whether they perform as advertized?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Deres...item4152ec11f1
Yes got one from china, same factory?, mostly felt with down hill or wind in the back much faster no breaking, Not at great invest for tuning
, but if you need a new one buy it.

s3it AX-1
s3it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #4403
PaddyJenks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
ArthDuro 08-08-2011 02:09 PM
Then I started it one day and the light was on and I was like what the hell.
Pushed the start button again and the light went off. Turns out the starter switch was cutting the light as it is supposed to while starting to save juice but the button was not springing back far enough to engage the switch again.
Simple thing but can cause grief.
I've had the same issue, I thought the bulb was out, ran all sorts of tests, then replaced it and nothing then went to start it and it clicked on for a second. Have to hit the button a few times for the light to stay on. I read somewhere that you can bypass the relay in the starter button but I haven't opened up that can of worms just yet. Maybe when I replace my bars and have to remove all the controls.

1988 NX250
PaddyJenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #4404
ArthDuro
quarantined

I actually like the feature. It is all about sorting out/ cleaning the switch even if you have to get a new one it is an easy fix. Just caused a bigger headache then it should.
+ momento mori +
Old 08-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #4405
muzcuk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
new project

Hello everybody!

I have been reading through the thread for a while now. I have recently picked up a nx 250 with clean papers for cheap (considering Turkish standards ~900$) but it is the sorriest little fella that I have seen, including those I have seen in the internet.

I am trying to put this one together to a proper ds bike for commuting and some fun in the forest. I won't push it like the famous greek guy, I just want the essentials running properly. Pics will come soon but I can't seem to transfer them at the moment.

Now I am at the point where I fix the electrical system that the previous owner had butchered, so pretty please, can I have that hi-res wiring diagram that ArthDuro has scanned..?

Thanks a lot.
muzcuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #4406
mattoehler
Largecookie

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by twcman306 View Post
Hey guys, I am new here and new to the dual sport world. I just bought a 88 NX 250 and have been having some problems. When I brought it home, the CDI immediately went bad. That was annoying....paid 270. Alright the bike is good to go hopefully right....wrong! I was at 7/11 and go out, hop on and try to start it. Turn the key and no power. Eventually get the idea to bump start it. Finally get home and look at the problem further. I put a meter on the battery, and it has plenty of power. When I turn the key on all voltage drops.... Now its not the generator because it runs with no power from the battery.

Now what could be causing this? Bad ground>???

thanks guys

I recently had the same problem, it turned out to be the starter relay switch, it is on the right hand side of the bike near the exhause and has a fuse in it. I replaced that and I was good to go.
mattoehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #4407
mattoehler
Largecookie

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoehler View Post
I recently had the same problem, it turned out to be the starter relay switch, it is on the right hand side of the bike near the exhause and has a fuse in it. I replaced that and I was good to go.

I should be more specific, I replaced the unit the fuse goes into, which would be the actual relay, not the fuse.
mattoehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #4408
getout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Shinko Tires

Hey all,

I'm finding conflicting information on Shinko Tires. Can anyone speak from experience on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastropjoel View Post

If you want a 50/50 tire, the Shinko 244 a very good tire and comes in 3.00-16 and 2.75-19. It is also very inexpensive.

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCrusher View Post

***Do NOT order the 3.00 x 16" Shinko 244 REAR TIRE for your NX 250. This tire is WAY too small for the rear rim.***

getout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #4409
amishmotorscoot
scared fresh daily

Oddometer: 72
I had the same glitch with my headlight, someone on this forum, I forget who, advised about the starter switch and its intent, to kill the light while starting, I just dismantled the switch, stretched that tiny spring and it was all good-I like a simple fix!
On another note: my carburetor has become problematic again- at takeoff it hesitates and sputters, (this is after a long warm-up) if I close the choke and start riding it works fine. My one troubleshooting act was to spray starting fluid on the carb while the choke was open- immediately the hesitation and stutter went away, it revved up and ran very smooth - it didn't seem to matter where I sprayed the starting fluid: on the boot between the carb and engine, on either side of the carb, anyplace I applied the fluid made it run well. So, is my carb full of holes? In need of new gaskets? Thanks for any thoughts or input.
A closing comment: thanks to all for the very constructive discussion on this forum lately, lots of helpful folks with lots of good info -
amishmotorscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #4410
amishmotorscoot
scared fresh daily

Oddometer: 72
getout,
here is a link to a chart posted in FAQ at the beginning of this forum - I don't know if it will be of any help in any answering your question about tire sizes - it does suggest that the Shinko tire may only work on the front
regards,

http://www.weeksmotorcycle.com/tire-...ion-chart.html
amishmotorscoot is offline   Reply With Quote