Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #4426
Almiscarado
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
4.000km on a NX250 - Pirineus or Bust

Hi there!
Next week I will start a nice 4.000km trip around the Iberic Peninsulae aka Portugal, Spain and a bit of France...
Although it is written in Portuguese, you can follow us on our blog: http://pirineusorbust.blogspot.com/
We'll be updating a facebook page too: https://www.facebook.com/PirineusOrBust

Any advices for the NX250? I have been driving it for one year without any problems..

Regards,

Sergio

Almiscarado screwed with this post 08-14-2011 at 01:22 PM
Almiscarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #4427
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,791
Freshen up your suspension:

I just had my NX up completely off the ground for about 2 weeks while waiting for my "AllBalls" bearings to arrive.

The thing feels completely different and even firm... For how long, I don't know.

With all the things I've worked on, Toyota trucks, Land Cruisers, and even my NX, I've noticed that if you suspend a suspension part in the air, when it settles it's got a different spring rate if only for a short while...

So, a tip... Try jacking up your NX and leaving it as long as you can. I also think the piston forces fluid that might otherwise have settled in the wrong spot, into its proper area making for a firmer if not temporary, next ride.

Anyway... After a snafoo on the bearings, I finally got them (and all the seals needed) for @ $32 instead of the @ $85 Honda wanted...

I found some info on the internet about them not having enough grease in them and after 2 looked that way, I just popped off a seal on each with my old timer and slapped in a dab or two of more grease.

Threw on a freash, but not for long Kenda Challenger, my 43T rear sprocket... Oh, and my BIG 320mm brake rotor, and... we're off!

Now it wheelies in 2nd... But I'm not good at it... Does 90 indicated MPH... And I guess @ 60MPG... Not that I ever try to get it that high

THIS BIKE IS SO FUN!!!!

If it's one thing I do know, it's women and covert opps...

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 08-16-2011 at 06:23 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #4428
ziggystardust
WannaB

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almiscarado View Post
Hi there!
Next week I will start a nice 4.000km trip around the Iberic Peninsulae aka Portugal, Spain and a bit of France...
Although it is written in Portuguese, you can follow us on our blog: http://pirineusorbust.blogspot.com/
Good luck on your adventure. Google did an adequate job of translating your blog. A few missed syntax but I'll be following along.

Thanks

Ziggystardust........living in fear
ziggystardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:41 AM   #4429
alculbreth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
89 nx250

Thinking about selling my 89 NX250 w/ 4400 miles on her. Located in Seattle. Anybody interested?
alculbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:46 AM   #4430
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 238
Riding New Hampshire

Just thought some of you from other parts of the country , maybe out of country, would like to see one of my favorite roads up here in the north part of N.H.

Route 145 starts in Pittsburg and goes South through Clarksville, Stewartstown to Colebrook N.H.
The road is only about 13 – 14 miles, but it has views of small farms, tree covered hill sides and open vista's. The road is a motorcyclist’s dream. Plenty of curves, with up and down area's. and it finishes with a beautiful waterfall just outside of Colebrook.

Maybe if I get a video setup on my bike, I'll be able to film the whole ride. Still pix's just don't do justice to it.

I know I didn't ride my NX that day. This road is best "enjoyed" with the power of the GL1800.

larry31 screwed with this post 08-15-2011 at 07:51 AM
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:57 AM   #4431
Almiscarado
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggystardust View Post
Good luck on your adventure. Google did an adequate job of translating your blog. A few missed syntax but I'll be following along.

Thanks
Thanks :) Hope I don't have any problems.. yesterday happened something strange: my NX250 was not starting... the starter button only made a "click". After that, I engaged a gear, and pulled a big the bike by hand, and tried once again and the starter worked.
Any thoughts on what this was? I have a new battery.

Regards
Old 08-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #4432
ziggystardust
WannaB

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almiscarado View Post
.. the starter button only made a "click". After that, I engaged a gear, and pulled a big the bike by hand, and tried once again and the starter worked.
Any thoughts on what this was? I have a new battery.

Regards
Starter clutch got stuck, maybe
l

Ziggystardust........living in fear
ziggystardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #4433
Almiscarado
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggystardust View Post
Starter clutch got stuck, maybe
l
Should I be worried about this?
Old 08-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #4434
RollingJ
The mud in your eye

Oddometer: 233
I had the starter give out on me just like that. You can't buy a new starter, but the brushes are easily replaceable. After 20+ years of friction, the brushes are just about worn out. Mine were mere slivers.

You have to remove the cam chain tensioner and exhaust to get the starter out. Make sure to remove the bolt on the end of the tensioner before you remove it from the block so you can access the adjuster.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #4435
Almiscarado
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastropjoel View Post
I had the starter give out on me just like that. You can't buy a new starter, but the brushes are easily replaceable. After 20+ years of friction, the brushes are just about worn out. Mine were mere slivers.

You have to remove the cam chain tensioner and exhaust to get the starter out. Make sure to remove the bolt on the end of the tensioner before you remove it from the block so you can access the adjuster.
I thought this could be worn out brushes, I once had an old VW beetle with similar problem: I had to knock the starter with something to get it to start. I wont have the time to troubleshoot this right now, and hopefully I wont have problems on my trip... :\
Old 08-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #4436
RollingJ
The mud in your eye

Park at the top of the hill.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #4437
firecat318
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Fuel tank size?

Yesterday when coming home I ran out of gas, thankfully I was on a back road and nobody was around. I pulled the clutch in and the engine was totally dead. Put it on reserve and continued on until I found a gas station. When I filled the tank at the station, I was surprised to see that it only took 1.7 gallons until the tank was totally full. I thought I read in the owners manual that the tank was 2.4 gallons and the reserve was 0.4 gallons - how come I ran to the reserve at only 1.7 gallons?
firecat318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #4438
RollingJ
The mud in your eye

I find that 1.7 gal fills me up right after I hit reserve. 2.1 gal is the most I have every put in the tank, after pushing up to the pump. I figure .3 gal would fill the tank to the overflowing point. I just fill to the bottom lip of the cap holder.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:04 AM   #4439
Almiscarado
Adventurer

I think I will just try to buy new brushes and take them with me, if needed, I will change them. The problem is I can't find what is their size... does anyone know?
I also have another doubt: the tensioner middle screw is not fully in, is this normal?

Almiscarado screwed with this post 08-17-2011 at 02:24 AM
Almiscarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #4440
RollingJ
The mud in your eye

The brushes are weird. You need to buy OEM, because one comes on a plate and the other has a pigtail attached. ( I think )

On the tensioner, there is an outer bolt to keep the crud out of the threads, and then there is the spring-loaded adjuster on the inside.You have to screw the inside screw all the way in to re-install the adjuster (this retracts it), but it should set the tension on it's own when you release it.