User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #4441
getout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Dies after running when at idle

I've got an '88 with a brand new CDI (it wouldn't start before). Now it's running great all the time but will just cut off at stop lights randomly or more frequently when I give it some gas from idle (even with the clutch held in). It idles at about 1,200 rpm and sounds fine until it dies.

Edit: got it home and played with it a little. It sounds like something is arcing right before it dies. There's a popping sound on the spark plug side. Could the wire be arcing and killing it?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

getout screwed with this post 08-17-2011 at 09:30 PM
getout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:08 AM   #4442
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
I've got an '88 with a brand new CDI (it wouldn't start before). Now it's running great all the time but will just cut off at stop lights randomly or more frequently when I give it some gas from idle (even with the clutch held in). It idles at about 1,200 rpm and sounds fine until it dies.

Edit: got it home and played with it a little. It sounds like something is arcing right before it dies. There's a popping sound on the spark plug side. Could the wire be arcing and killing it?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Check the plug well for dirt / water / etc. Also inspect the plug wires for cracks, or maybe cracked plug.
Sometimes the plug boot is hard to push on completely.

Another thing to look for is slide-on lugs that don't make good connection. ( Especially around the CDI you just replaced. )
Inspect the wiring while the bike is running. Wiggle wiring and see if it effects the way the bike runs.
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:38 AM   #4443
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
x2, die-lectric(sp?) grease all connections...

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...w=1366&bih=667

If you're ever in a pinch, or need a troubleshoot... WD-40 stands for "Water Displacing on the 40th try".

IOW's don't use anything else b/c you think it's just a penetrating oil.

It says it displaces water, and I'd use it b/c of that. But it is thinner than grease so won't last as long.

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 08-18-2011 at 08:44 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #4444
Dirtstar1
Human torpedo

Oddometer: 121
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Just picked this little guy up for $600 bucks. Already started fixing it. Still got gremlins in the carb. Replaced the pilot jet, and cleaned everything. Something is in the passages of the mid circuit. Anyways, what is the air box mod, and the exhaust mods?
Dirtstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #4445
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtstar1 View Post
Just picked this little guy up for $600 bucks.

I hate yew...

EDIT: Still has the evap canister... How'd they get that into a DeLorean?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #4446
Dirtstar1
Human torpedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
I hate yew...

EDIT: Still has the evap canister... How'd they get that into a DeLorean?
It's a teaser. The other side is pretty beat up.... The delorean must of had a Joe hauler on the back. Just got out of the DMV. My worst nightmare is coming true , gotta get a CHP inspection... Last time this bike was registered was 1991
Old 08-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #4447
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Ok, Big-Bore's out of the Q for me. (not that we knew where to even get one yet anyway)

http://ecotrons.com/Small_Engine_EFI_PNP_kit.html

And check this out...

http://ecotrons.com/Small_Engine_EFI_Turbo_PNP_kit.html

+

http://ecotrons.com/Small_Engine_RHB...bocharger.html

EDIT: Wow, I shudder to think of the power with higher lift AX-1 cams, EFI and a Turbo...

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 08-20-2011 at 02:00 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #4448
mito-nx
Dutch Humor

Oddometer: 57
A turbo on a NX.....wow

Who has taken out the valves?
Underneath the springs is a big washer with a smaler one on top.
At least it is in the manual and the intake valves.
But when I took out the ex valves, the small ring was underneath the big one.
Now the big spring is stronger and the small one weaker......?
I am the first one who takes this engine apart.
What should I do?
Assenble like it was, or make it correct like mentioned inside the manual?
mito-nx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:17 AM   #4449
muzcuk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Big bike tyres

Hey guys!

I am looking for a new front tire and it seems that there are very few alternatives where I live.

I can get michelin anakee 2 for 100 or mitas e08 for 70. The only other option is the chinese commuter tires which are out of question, I used to run the e08 on my KLE before and I liked it, but I know both anakees and e08 are meant for bigger bikes,

Anyone has any experience with these kind of tyres on a nx? I am a little guy (65kg), riding year-round mostly on-road (which means it is barely paved in Turkey) and often with pillion, I am not the peg-grinder type, but I need to be pretty slick with the traffic of Istanbul. I also like going out in the forest for exploring. I wouldn't push the KLE very far (muddy singletracks etc.) but I am feeling that might change with the nx as it feels like it can go anywhere.

The e08 were not so great when wet, I am wondering if they would get better or worse with a lighter bike (which is the nx). They are hard/tough as hell but that worries me as I feel that they would not get enough traction under the little weight of the nx.

Anakees would surely be better when wet, but they seem even more road oriented than the e08 which is not cool. I am wondering if they would be worth the difference in price. That is a lot of money for a tyre that is worthless off-road.

Also, if anyone knows where to locate nicer tyres for the NX in Turkey, I'd love to hear about that.
muzcuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #4450
Dirtstar1
Human torpedo

I like the trail wings. I just put a fresh set on and love the results on the pavement and the dry dirt. I avoid mud at all costs.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #4451
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtstar1 View Post
I like the trail wings. I just put a fresh set on and love the results on the pavement and the dry dirt. I avoid mud at all costs.
+1. They have a great compound, but I run too fast for too long to have lugs.

That and I killed a rear with prolly way less than 2,000 miles... But YRMV.

100% on-road here. Kenda Challengers and loving it!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #4452
muzcuk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Honestly, if trailwings were available I'd go for them for sure. I called the bridgestone Turkey distibutor and they said they could get them --maybe-- in 4 months. They also said they would give me a call after checking with japan if they have any stock, a week later I called them and asked what was happening, they told me it is hard to get stock info from japan.

Long story short, no trailwings available. No kendas neither. Yes it is weird.

Anakee 2 or mitas e08. I will pay for one and use it for a loong time. What do you think?
muzcuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #4453
Dirtstar1
Human torpedo

I put about 450 miles this weekend ( mostly pavement) tons of twisties. The tires cut in really nice and dragged pegs all day. I can see how you would only get 2000 miles out of it. On the flip side, for 64 bucks I'll definitely get another one when it wears out. My big bikes get perrelli scorpions and I'm not sure they would keep up in the dirt.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #4454
amishmotorscoot
scared fresh daily

Oddometer: 72
carb fix update

I finally got back to the j-b weld drill-and-tap on my carburetor, so far so good, the epoxy filler is a bit soft, I don't think I would trust it to too much force or in a weight bearing situation. I added a bit of loctite blue to the screw just to help firm it up some. I rode about 40 miles today and it was smoother and peppier than it has been in a long time. If it doesn't hold long term, I will use a helicoil as suggested by Larry31- I had forgotten about those gadgets. I think they may be more reliable.

thanks again for the insights when troubleshooting this little issue-

AMS
amishmotorscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #4455
Dirtstar1
Human torpedo

Air box mod?

Can anyone tell me what the air box mod is for the nx250? I started by making a foam filter for it. Where are you guys cutting holes?