Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #4456
getout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
I've got an '88 with a brand new CDI (it wouldn't start before). Now it's running great all the time but will just cut off at stop lights randomly or more frequently when I give it some gas from idle (even with the clutch held in). It idles at about 1,200 rpm and sounds fine until it dies.

Edit: got it home and played with it a little. It sounds like something is arcing right before it dies. There's a popping sound on the spark plug side. Could the wire be arcing and killing it?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Big thanks to everyone for the help. I pulled everything apart a couple times and finally noticed a big gash in the side of my spark plug boot. I filled it with JB weld last night (as their site says it's an insulator) and today the bike was running fantastic. It's a temporary fix until I can get another boot but I wanted to give it a shot for diagnostic purposes.

Thanks again!
getout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #4457
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Big thanks to everyone for the help. I pulled everything apart a couple times and finally noticed a big gash in the side of my spark plug boot. I filled it with JB weld last night (as their site says it's an insulator) and today the bike was running fantastic. It's a temporary fix until I can get another boot but I wanted to give it a shot for diagnostic purposes.

Thanks again!
If it's the rubber boot, you might try some RTV sealant. The stuff dries leaving it somewhat plyable.
Clean all surfaces with alcohol, let dry, then rough up surfaces to be patched. Apply thin coat to both sides and let cure for a day. Should remain flexable enough to put back on.

I repaired a speaker cone once. Worked quite well.
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #4458
CurtW
Thumper

Oddometer: 62
Link to CDI repair?

Well, the NX wouldn't start this morning. Troubleshooting tree in the service manual says it's the CDI .I'm not sure why I thought I'd get off lucky, but I never bothered to bookmark the information about attempting a repair. Is there somebody who could direct me to the page #, or Post #, or anything that'll save me from going through all 298 pages?

Never mind--I slipped it out of the rubber sleeve to get the part number, and the whole box is oily. I'm guessing that means I've blown an electrolytic capacitor, and it's beyond the simple soldering repair. Now shopping for a new one.

CurtW screwed with this post 08-24-2011 at 05:53 PM
CurtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #4459
getout
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtW View Post
Well, the NX wouldn't start this morning. Troubleshooting tree in the service manual says it's the CDI .I'm not sure why I thought I'd get off lucky, but I never bothered to bookmark the information about attempting a repair. Is there somebody who could direct me to the page #, or Post #, or anything that'll save me from going through all 298 pages?

Never mind--I slipped it out of the rubber sleeve to get the part number, and the whole box is oily. I'm guessing that means I've blown an electrolytic capacitor, and it's beyond the simple soldering repair. Now shopping for a new one.
I got mine from www.servicehonda.com and it was the cheapest I could find.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #4460
CurtW
Thumper

Quote:
I got mine from www.servicehonda.com and it was the cheapest I could find.
Thaks! What part number did you use? Nothing comes up under KW3H.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:24 AM   #4461
nx&ace
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I have 2 NX250's. An '88 and '90. The '88 had the CDI acting up, so pulled the '90 CDI and put it in the '88. Worked perfect, so I ordered another CDI from Service Honda for the '90 and put it in the '90. Worked just fine, so now I have a '90 model CDI in both bikes. I can't tell any performance difference in the 88 with the 90 unit. Service Honda shows different numbers for the two units but they both seem to work just fine. Both bikes are low mileage, 5000 on 88 and 8000 on the 90. Age of CDI seems to be more of a problem than miles. I had another 88 NX several years ago and the CDI went bad at around 6000 miles on it. Also Service Honda seems to have the lowest prices and are good to work with. Hope this info is useful.
nx&ace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #4462
muzcuk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
headlights

Can someone please tell me how the headlight switch on the nx should behave?

when is it off are there any lights on? (indicator lights etc.)
what should happen when it is in the first stage (HP)?
what should happen when it is in the second stage?

thanks.
muzcuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #4463
getout
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtW View Post
Thaks! What part number did you use? Nothing comes up under KW3H.
MODULE, IGN CONT
30410-KW3-008

It's in the Wire Harness section, number 02.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #4464
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Quote:
MODULE, IGN CONT
30410-KW3-008

That's the part number I have on my invoice too. ( 1990 NX250 )
Replaced Aug. 2009 from local Honda dealer for $229.00 )
Old 08-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #4465
getout
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzcuk View Post
Can someone please tell me how the headlight switch on the nx should behave?

when is it off are there any lights on? (indicator lights etc.)
what should happen when it is in the first stage (HP)?
what should happen when it is in the second stage?

thanks.
My headlight, license plate, and tail light are always on when the bike is in the on position (running or not). The only time the indicators are on is when a turn signal is being used. The headlight changes from high to low with the switch. The only time the headlight cuts out is when I'm starting the engine.

Is that what you were asking?
Old 08-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #4466
CurtW
Thumper

Quote:
MODULE, IGN CONT
30410-KW3-008

Thanks!!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #4467
valvecrusher OP
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,623
The Remodel of the NX250 = official ADV owner's manual

i've been working, designing and updating the 'feel' of the front page, and multiple indexes on this thread.

ANY ideas, inputs, suggestions or direction is GREATLY appreciated, VIA PM please!

The pictures will be smaller, the links should be described clearly, and a WHOLE lot of stuff will be changed, added or re-arranged.

I need to know 'what has repeatedly been asked', 'what isn't linked or listed', and 'What else is out there GOOD as this thread?" so i can include them in the links section.

The goal is a cleaner index, a more easily navigated repository of information, and more of the information here being cataloged, correctly and inclusively.

Enthusiasts pages, other websites(english, or NON english are A-OK!), Forums, or threads will be collectively noted and linked upon the addition of them to the thread.

What did my NX do today?

Fresh Mobil 10w-40 oil + filter,
lowered air pressure in tires, and installed my modded OEM tag hanger(thanks BastropJoel!)
fresh, front and rear rubber...didn't have a chance to fab up the k+n style filter, .....yet!
washed the NX...lol....i NEVER wash it!

the new setup removed 5lbs from the very tip of rear fender, and the vibrations at speed, and across dirt roads would shake the entire rear of the bike...
with it's weird- weight distribution, fully hanging off the rear, catching wind....it HAD to go..
The '89 is ridden alot at highway 65+, and also on mountainous climbing roads...so the wind resistance at speed of the OEM tag hanger is very familiar to me.

With this new mod,
the bike no longer shakes from the rear fender tip, both over bumpy roads and by windspeed....
and, it negated the 'parachute effect' of the OEM tag hanger at 45mph+,
and easier passing at highway speed...
(sorry no picsof mod yet, PC failure, borrowing one for now)

I'll have to see what type of real world effect removing the 'parachute'(tag hanger) is going to have on mpg's..

PM me your thread suggestions, links, and let's keep the ADV NX 250 AX-1 XL 250 Degrees of the world rocking on, and rolling out!

valvecrusher screwed with this post 08-26-2011 at 12:41 PM
valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:00 AM   #4468
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Suggestions

ValveCrusher

Quote: " ANY ideas, inputs, suggestions or direction is GREATLY appreciated, VIA PM please! "

I'd like to see a "Chart" showing tire makes & sizes that will fit the NX250. ( Both OEM wheel sizes and other wheel sizes. )

So far, I've only seen the Bridgestone Trail Wings TW-39 ( 90/100-19 front) & TW-40 (120/90-16 rear) as OEM tires.
The Duro HF904 (130/90-16 rear) seems to fit the OEM wheel ok.

Are there any others that will fit?
Front alternates ??

My 1989 had a Duro on it when I bought it. Seems to perform good for me.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #4469
valvecrusher OP
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,623
Keep them coming!

L31
What about the DUNLOP TrailWings? lol...yep, i know....two manufacturer's making the same 'model' tire? It's true...the original year one OEM trailwing was a Dunlop front TW39 and Dunlop rear TW40 tire, iirc.

I'll see what i can do about forming a list, but the ACTUAL choices are few. I'll find some way to store the list of the tires that DO fit. I'm not searching out again, but ANY tire sent to me via PM will be included.....it would be super awesome if the purchaser/reviewer sent a short 2-3 sentences about THEIR tire, and i'll post it up...

Will add the list somewhere, and as NX'ers find the fitting models, i'll add them to the count
List will be broken down into 80/20, 50/50 and 10/90....whatever, the dirt/street bias is...grouped together as well as the DOT,FIM status.

There are some expensive $ DOT off road tires previously unincluded in the list count. I can add those as i find them, as well.

valvecrusher screwed with this post 08-26-2011 at 12:38 PM
valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #4470
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCrusher View Post
Keep them coming!

L31
What about the DUNLOP TrailWings? lol...yep, i know....two manufacturer's making the same 'model' tire? It's true...the original year one OEM trailwing was a Dunlop front TW39 and Dunlop rear TW40 tire, iirc.

I can't find any current listing for Dunlop TW's when I Google it??
The only TW's I can find are the Bridgestones.

If you have a current link to the Dunlop TW's for the 16" rear or 19" front, will you post it?

PS: to anyone!!
Have you had experience with the Duro's? I didn't know about them until I bought my 89 with one mounted on it.