Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #4531
MapBoy
here there be dragons...

Oddometer: 454
Just saw a nx250 parts bike for sale on that site which shall not be named, located in central CT, $200, no title. Still available as of now... hope this helps somebody out.
MapBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #4532
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapBoy View Post
Just saw a nx250 parts bike for sale on that site which shall not be named, located in central CT, $200, no title. Still available as of now... hope this helps somebody out.

me want...
Old 09-13-2011, 02:07 AM   #4533
Local Machine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almiscarado View Post
Hi Guys!
I recently did some work on my NX250 and discovered the chain tensioner was broken. However the previous owner had a bolt and nut to ensure the chain was manually tensioned..
I thought this was not that good and ordered a used but in good shape tensioner from ebay. I just mounted it on the engine and now it seems like I hear a lot more chain noise... can this be related? (even at low revs)
What should I do? Use the new tensioner but with the bolt and nut?
I am afraid the chain might be too loose and it might brake my engine :(

Regards,
Sergio
I believe you need to wind up the spring inside the tensioner.
Use a small screwdriver and wind it up rotating it Clockwise until the spring inside the tensioner pushes the plunger out and touches the chain.
Local Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:26 AM   #4534
Almiscarado
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Hi there, thanks for the reply! I think I turned the screwdriver counter-clockwise... I re-done it, and also used the bolt and nut and it seems fine now. My Nx250 is back in action!
Old 09-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #4535
mito-nx
Dutch Humor

Oddometer: 57
So, when you placed him him with the plunger completely out.
Now you wind it up again so it goes in.
Then you let go and the spring sets the right tension.
Thats it, like inside the manual.
mito-nx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #4536
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 285
Tire size vs gearing effect

Here's a question for you math / tech guys.

How much difference in effective power and speed would it make in using the following rear tires on a NX?

Tire 1 ( rear)
Std Bridgestone 120/90-16 Tire diameter= 24.5" circumference= 76.97"

Tire 2 (rear)
Duro 130/90-16 Tire diameter= 25.2" circumference= 79.17"

( If I miscalculated the dia. & circumference let me know. )

I know when rear sprockets are changed and it makes a difference in power and speed.
I was just wondering if there would be any noticeable difference between the two tire sizes.
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #4537
RollingJ
The mud in your eye

Oddometer: 234
Not very much difference at all, esp. after the tire wears just a little bit. However, tread depth varies greatly from one tire to the next, so those numbers may be way off in reality.

What really matters is how it feels in the seat of the pants, and you won't know until you spoon it on. Try it and let us know.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #4538
Dirtstar1
Human torpedo

Oddometer: 121
Fender cracks

In the never-ending fight against fender cracks I decided to goto the source. When I got back from Reno I did a major inspection of the rear fender and found that the stress cracks reapeared next to the repair. While the fender was off I noticed the tail light bracket is rubber mounted and the plastic tray it's mounted to oil cans when you shake it. So here is what I did. First I put washers where the rubber isolators are between the tail light bracket and main tray. Next I extended the stub frame to pick up additional holes in the main plastic tray. This immediately reduced almost all the movement. I'm going to repair the cracks again and keep you posted. I hope this does the trick
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Dirtstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #4539
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingJ View Post
Not very much difference at all, esp. after the tire wears just a little bit. However, tread depth varies greatly from one tire to the next, so those numbers may be way off in reality.

What really matters is how it feels in the seat of the pants, and you won't know until you spoon it on. Try it and let us know.

I already have tried it.
My 1990 has stock 120/90-16 Bridgestones
My (recently acquired) 1989 had a Duro 130/90-16 on it when I got it.

The 1990 (with Stock tire) seems to be getting better gas mileage and more pulling power than the 1989 ( with the Duro tire)

The 1990 has just over 20K on it and starts and runs perfect.
The 1989 has less miles, 8500 miles, but it doesn’t seem to be quite up to the performance of the 1990.

I did have some carburetor issues on the 1989, but they seem to be cleared up after pulling and cleaning the carburetor. It starts much better and idles better now. High speeds seem ok as well. It just doesn’t have the same "oomph" when climbing hills.
That's why I was wondering if the different tires would make a difference.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #4540
RollingJ
The mud in your eye

Oddometer: 234
I run a 17" rear with a Shinko 244 4.60 and it lost a lot of low end grunt when I still had the 41t sprocket. Since I swapped in a 43t it pulls great and I can still run 70 on the highway to get to the trails. I don't want to go much faster than that on this little bike anyway!
Old 09-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #4541
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry31 View Post
Here's a question for you math / tech guys.

How much difference in effective power and speed would it make in using the following rear tires on a NX?

Tire 1 ( rear)
Std Bridgestone 120/90-16 Tire diameter= 24.5" circumference= 76.97"

Tire 2 (rear)
Duro 130/90-16 Tire diameter= 25.2" circumference= 79.17"

( If I miscalculated the dia. & circumference let me know. )

I know when rear sprockets are changed and it makes a difference in power and speed.
I was just wondering if there would be any noticeable difference between the two tire sizes.

Yes, b/c even an inch over a mile adds up. But what you're talking about only comparable to a tooth or two...

And I'm one of those that can feel even that minute of a difference. But, YRMV.

I'm gonna throw another wrench in the works... B/c RARELY is a manufacturers claims, or tire size actually what the manufacturer claims it to be.

They often even round up, making accurate results skewed... So if they round up, and you wear some tread off, we're talking a much lower gear here then math even claims it is.

EDIT: And even more... Weight! A tubeless tire is lighter than a tubed tire, but since we have spokes and no beads that even if we could seal off the spokes, to get it to hold air, it won't. We still have to run a tube, with a tire that wasn't designed to... The carcass of a tubeless is much more robust and therefore heavier.

And here ya go. Play with this.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/gear-speed.php

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 09-16-2011 at 09:10 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #4542
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Rear tires

I guess I'll find out if the Duro is the reason my 89 feels like it's got less power and slightly less MPG.

My 90's rear tire is almost ready for replacement. When riding season is over, I'm going to put a Duro on that one also.
Next year I'll see if the 90 , with a Duro will give me less MPG and power or if it will remain the same as with the stock Bridgestone.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #4543
Leo.G
Is still learning

Oddometer: 373
Hey guys!

I hope your NXs are fine!

Sorry for my lack of posts, jej!

Today, I went to a local shop to buy an air filter for my bike but I couldn't find it there and it is the only "serious" spare parts here in my town..
However, while I was waiting the employee of the shop to come, I saw some windshields that were there in a wall. And I was wondering if any of you have put a windshield in your bikes without drilling the front fairing, just by attaching it to the handbar...

I just say this as our bikes are very similar in the basic shape of the fairings...

Well, that is all...
I hope you can understand me, I'm still studying English, jej
Old 09-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #4544
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
Hey guys!

I hope your NXs are fine!

Sorry for my lack of posts, jej!

Today, I went to a local shop to buy an air filter for my bike but I couldn't find it there and it is the only "serious" spare parts here in my town..
However, while I was waiting the employee of the shop to come, I saw some windshields that were there in a wall. And I was wondering if any of you have put a windshield in your bikes without drilling the front fairing, just by attaching it to the handbar...

I just say this as our bikes are very similar in the basic shape of the fairings...

Well, that is all...
I hope you can understand me, I'm still studying English, jej

I have had an after market "clip-on" on my 1990 several years ago. It did have clamps/posts etc to mount to handle bars. It did protect me from some wind and bugs. As I go off road as well as on, I found if I had to stand on pegs, I was in danger of hitting myself in face or forhead if I leaned forward much.

I finally took it off. Now I just ware more protective clothing and a better helmet with a good integrated face shield.
I really don't miss it at all.

I also have several things mounted to my handle bars now.. http://powers31.info/NX250_Instrumentation.htm so I don't know where I'd mount it.

It did help with wind on my chest area. The posts and clamps were difficult to adjust. ( It was a "universal" mounting system )
Old 09-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #4545
Leo.G
Is still learning

Oddometer: 373
Thanks a lot!

I'll see what I can do..
I'm waiting for my 18th birthday so as to have my licence done to go legally to everywhere with the bike.
Now I'm getting it better, doing all the manteinance that a bike of this age should have and also giving it all the manteinance that wasn't done by the previous owner..

Before I forget, your NX is great, cool gadgets on the handbars!