User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #4996
racksnspurs
Wildlife Seeker

Oddometer: 4
manifold pipe restoration

Saw the pipe restoration in this thread thought ide do one too. only thing i did differently is... used DE-RUSTER by Purple Power... I love this stuff. with metal prices skyrocketing every piece i can save... im all for it. I hit the metal that needs to be cleaned with de-ruster even before sanding. It chemically reverses and converts Ferric Oxide back to Iron Phosphate, treats the metal against further rusting and for painting. I'm very interested to see how it works under extreme temps such as the pipe. I've used this stuff on rusted up bolts and watched rusted threads turn back to threads again, I put it in a spray bottle and spray the underside of my truck...good stuff! I have pics of the restore so if someone can easily explain to me how to post pics ill put em up.

racksnspurs screwed with this post 03-31-2012 at 10:28 AM
racksnspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #4997
clanbree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
New here!

Hello all! I'm posting to introduce myself.

I went looking for an NX250 fan club and ran accross this thread. Back 25 years ago I wanted one of these little bikes so bad that I could taste it! With a young family to support, it wasn't going to happen.

Then last summer, I was walking into my Honda dealer to order a new battery for my Goldwing when I spied my little blue beauty. I shook it off as being impossible... "No 20 + year old bike could look that good", I said to myself. "Just wishful thinking on my part."

I ordered the battery I was after and started to leave when something made me go over and just look. "What's the harm in just looking?", I told myself. It turns out, it was indeed a 1988 NX250 with 813 miles on the clock. I asked if was a display bike or if it was for sale. The sales guy told me that it was for sale and the story behind it.

It was purchased brand new at that dealership in 1989 to spend it's life on a bumper rack of a retiree's motor home. After several years, the retiree parked the motorhome in his barn and lived out the rest of his life at his home. After his passing, the grandson was selling the motorhome when he discovered the little motorcycle still on the back bumper under a canvass cover. The original bill of sale was still in an envelope under the seat. So he sold it back to the dealer. Neat story.

I've got 2,400 miles on it now and I think its time for a valve adjustment.

clanbree screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 05:44 AM
clanbree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #4998
helpermonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Drug one home.

It is an '89 with 7803 original miles. Just needs some spring time maintainence/house keeping and maybe a coat of OD Green Krylon.

helpermonkey screwed with this post 03-31-2012 at 01:53 PM Reason: Add Pic
helpermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #4999
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
HRC tuning kit NX250

Some of you guys may still remember the famous XR600 HRC tuning kit. As it turns out, there was something like that available for the NX250 in Japan, consisting of camshafts with 0,75mm more lifting, stainless steel manifold and Keihin PD carburetor. At least the camshafts can be still found in some part lists (http://img3.fotos-hochladen.net/uplo...hrb9s2d1wo.gif) . Together with a little cylinder head optimizing, more than 30ps and 150km/h (93 mi/h) should be possible. Than you can hunt NX650s on the German autobahn (at least the ones without oil cooler ;-)).

scrambler66 screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 08:43 AM
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #5000
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
nice to see some action here, welcoming all the new nx'ers! and clanbree thats quite a score!
scrambler66 you should collect those spares and sell them to me! oh a stainless pipe and cams and a better lung!
and helper monkey, that green and blue combo... well, um hmm............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................jk, if you do rattlecan her, krylon fusion paint holds up well.
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #5001
helpermonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC View Post
nice to see some action here, welcoming all the new nx'ers! and clanbree thats quite a score!
scrambler66 you should collect those spares and sell them to me! oh a stainless pipe and cams and a better lung!
and helper monkey, that green and blue combo... well, um hmm............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................jk, if you do rattlecan her, krylon fusion paint holds up well.
Thanks for the welcome. If I paint it OD, I will replace the fork boots with black. I have my black Walmart seat cushion ready to put on to cover the blue.
For those that do not know about these seat cushions, they are a must on a DR650 with the stock seat. Makes long trips bearable
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stearns-Bl...Cover/10727537

helpermonkey screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 10:23 AM Reason: Add info.
helpermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #5002
Goofy Footer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Has anybody replaced their front master cylinder with one from another bike?
Has anybody switched their throttle tube to one from another bike?

I bought a yz450f front master cylinder to use with my fork swap but now I realize there isn't enough clearance to pull the brake lever.

The NX throttle housing holds the Start button as well as the Run/Kill switch. I can either use a different throttle and simply reroute the electrical to buttons on the bar or I could try and use a different front master cylinder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for all the advice as always.
Goofy Footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #5003
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

skid plate KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post
Hey i just noticed the skid plate. What model is it from?
Its from a KickTenMinutes (KTM), model LC4 620/625/640. the main advantage of this one is, that its straight shape makes it much easier to put the Nixie on a box or something - with the origional rounded skip plate, the NX tends to tilt over

scrambler66 screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 03:46 AM
Old 04-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #5004
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

partslist AX1 badly wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC View Post
actually, this was a little aprils fool - but I dont think anyone noticed. There was never a HRC kit for the NX250, these are parts from the 29 hp AX1. I bought them to give my Nixie a little powerboost. As it turns out, the only things I would have needed are the cams with 0,75mm more lifting. The stainless steel manifold has no larger diameter and the carburetor is also the same as the one from the NX.

even though I already got my power cams I would like to know if these cams are still available. I would only need the part numbers to check - but even after years, I could not find a AX1 partslist.

I found a few part numbers from the AX1, and they suggested the following scheme. for instance, the brake pedal of the AX1 (which was produced earlier that the NX250) has the part number 46500-KW3-000. The NX250 brake pedal has the part number 46500-KW3-670. So it looks like that the differences between the two models are marked by the last three digits.
The NX cams got part numbers 14100-KW3-010 and 14200-KW3-010, so it might be that the AX1 cams got 14100-KW3-000 and 14200-KW3-000 – these numbers occur in some parts lists of the NX!
But to be sure, we would need someone with a partslist of the AX1

scrambler66 screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 01:27 AM
Old 04-02-2012, 01:44 AM   #5005
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy Footer View Post
Has anybody replaced their front master cylinder with one from another bike?
Has anybody switched their throttle tube to one from another bike? .
Something that may work is the kill switch of the NX650/XR650 (and some other models)

in combination with a throttle housing tube from a NX650/XR650/Xl350/Xl600

Old 04-02-2012, 05:26 AM   #5006
muzcuk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
I am in the process of replacing my handlebar controls I found this really nice aluminum set in ebay.

Throttle housing complete with kill switch and headlight control, and left side controls (signals,horn, high beam). It took some work to rewire them compatibly but i think it's worth it. They look slim and durable. Throttle feedback also has improved because my old throttle housing was kind of shaky.

I also removed the push throttle cable and put together a choke puller using an aluminum throttle housing for a crf 50 (6$ shipped form china :) ).

Now I have to go for an exam, but I will post pictures later on.
muzcuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #5007
clanbree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Wicked panier frame and windscreen

Sometime back (when I was just a lurker) I ran across a series of posts by an inmate who owned a white NX. He'd fabbed his own set of panier racks and fitted a painted windscreen from a BMW or KTM. I've been looking for that series of posts for days and can't find them. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 04-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #5008
Goofy Footer
Gnarly Adventurer

Master Cylinder Banjo Fittings?

Scrambler66 and muzcuk thank you for the replies. Mounting a new throttle tube, getting a cable made to the correct length and then rewiring the electrical so that I can fit the yz450f master cylinder seems like a pain.

I suppose I could reuse my existing NX master cylinder. From the picture scrambler66 provided, could the NX master cylinder be fitted with a 7/16th inch banjo fitting? A banjo fitting like the second picture I posted should be easier to fabricate a custom brake line around (I'm going to try and mount a CRF250R front caliper). The last picture is the "aftermarket brand" master cylinder available on eBay for $50 +shipping. That one looks like I could simply bolt on a banjo.

Stock

7/16" Banjo Curved

Aftermarket Brand eBay master cylinder

Goofy Footer screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 11:30 AM Reason: added pictures
Old 04-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #5009
Goofy Footer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanbree View Post
Sometime back (when I was just a lurker) I ran across a series of posts by an inmate who owned a white NX. He'd fabbed his own set of panier racks and fitted a painted windscreen from a BMW or KTM. I've been looking for that series of posts for days and can't find them. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I think a few people might have done it. Try searching for Larry31. I think this is his site
http://powers31.info/Side_Luggage_Frames.htm
Old 04-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #5010
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by clanbree View Post

Search my mini Dakar build project. By Jeff at the quadshop I think. Crafty guy. Good stuff.
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote