User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #5131
fikse
All-season-rider

Oddometer: 88
Wink Got a NX today!

New on the forum. Have tried to read as much as possible in this tread, but its a huge tread!

Today I signed for a `93 NX250 with 29.000KMs on the clock. Not mint condition, but surprisingly nice to be 19 years old
My story started last summer, when I descided to get a year-round bike to get to work, not eager to get another car in the house. Have commuted with bikes since the 80's, but never before during all-season (here in Norway there is quite a chance to meet some snow/ice/salty slush on the roads during November-March). Got myself a brand new KTM Duke 125, hoping this would be the perfect universal-bike. It could have been so, _if_ the bike could have handled freezing temps and moisture. It didn't. So last week I sold it, and startet looking for a more reliable but still lightwheight and rather small bike. That was surprisingly a quite difficult task! Hunted for max 140KGs, max 82cm seatheight, with a small, watercooled engine, and most important a bike with origin from a country making quality-stuff. Search gave me only a very few to choose, a Suzuki 350-something and the NX. Being a former owner of several Hondas, I knew the generally makes good stuff, at least when made in Japan.

OK, back to track: Ill need a few bits here and there: Tyres, brake pads front, chain/sprockets, and some service-parts.
So far I have found (not bought yet):
Rear tyre: Pirelli Diablo Scooter in 130/80-16(only for summer-season, for winter Im heading for some stud-tyres). Very cheap, and looks cool? But will it handle wet tarmac...?
Front tyre: None so far. Need a tyre for temps above freezing, less than 25C (77F), for tarmac.
Chain/sprocket: Kit from Afam? Original size, I belive?
Pads Ill guess SBS or EBC?
Filters, there Ill see that HiFlo does both for air and oil. Have been very satisfied with performance/quality with this brand, and price is OK.
For oil I consider some Royal Purple stuff. Satisfied with this oil on other Hondas and other vehicles. Any protestsongs?

This Ill hope will do it for a start. At time I will of course get some hand deflectors, heated grips (Symtec?), and other essential parts for winterdriving, but not now

Hopefully I will have some good years to come with the new baby NX
Old 04-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #5132
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

Oddometer: 361
Welcome fikse!

In 100 % for the filter buy.
Honda Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:56 AM   #5133
MathRocks
Life's Equations

Oddometer: 76
Don't post often, but I'm in for the filter buy if it happens.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:04 AM   #5134
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
plus one more for the filter...
Old 04-29-2012, 05:09 AM   #5135
ImExil
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikse View Post
So far I have found (not bought yet):
Rear tyre: Pirelli Diablo Scooter in 130/80-16(only for summer-season, for winter Im heading for some stud-tyres). Very cheap, and looks cool? But will it handle wet tarmac...?
Hei fikse,
Well I also recently bought a Nixe (and I think I also looked at the one you probably bought ... if it is the red/magenta coloured one). For pure road tyres I read lots of good things about the Pirelli City Demon, available for front and back. And they are quite cheap too. So I'm probably try them next myself.

As for heated grips I could recommend *DAYTONA* HEATED GRIP SET FOR METRIC HANDLEBAR from Louis in Germany (they ship to NO for just 15 (well plus customs maybe)). There you can also find quite some other accessory.

ImExil
ImExil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #5136
Gebogen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Filter

I am interested in a couple of filters
Gebogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:28 AM   #5137
fikse
All-season-rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImExil View Post
Hei fikse,
Well I also recently bought a Nixe (and I think I also looked at the one you probably bought ... if it is the red/magenta coloured one). For pure road tyres I read lots of good things about the Pirelli City Demon, available for front and back. And they are quite cheap too. So I'm probably try them next myself.

As for heated grips I could recommend *DAYTONA* HEATED GRIP SET FOR METRIC HANDLEBAR from Louis in Germany (they ship to NO for just € 15 (well plus customs maybe)). There you can also find quite some other accessory.

ImExil
Hi ImExil :-) Do you live in western Norway? I have searched a while for a NX, and in desperation almost bought a very heavvy priced one advertised at finn.no. 32.000,- NOK/$5.600!). Luckily a bird whispered that a worksmanager in my local area had to many bikes in his garage (and a wife eager to get a garage clearout!), and this NX, not used on road since 2009 (but preserved well, started regularly), would be able to get. I was lucky! 15.000,- NOK ($2.600) is a very OK price to pay for a bike in nearly perfect condition, serviced by skilled mecanics, needing only some serviceparts and a good clean
I have to be rather quick getting the bike on road, so I've already got most of the parts: ContiTrailAttack 110/80 R19, Diablo Scooter 130/80-16. A bit wider and lower than standard-size, after a search here it seems this dimensions should be OK.
EBC sinter pads, gelbattery, HiFlo filters, NGK Iridium, _black_ gaiters, red LED 21/5W rear bulb, magnetic sump plug, Afam chain/sprocket kit, Sigma jetkit, Bi-Xenon, Stebel compact Nautilus horn... Puh!

Louis in Germany is one of my favourite shops! Visited them in Hamburg once (huge store!). Lot of nice quality products, and a fantastic customerservice. "Ordnung muss sein" is a good nickname there

Now I'm looking for some good quality hand deflectors. These Daytona heaters, how are the thickness? Many heaters are quite thick, so I thought about getting a set from Symtec, who is just a thin film supposed to fit inside the OE handles. Used them on my Duke, with good results. Warm enough even at -10C/14F, and hi-lo switch.
The Daytonas _looks_ thinner than many grips :-) Is it good soft rubber on them?
Old 04-30-2012, 05:07 AM   #5138
ImExil
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Hi ImExil :-) Do you live in western Norway? I have searched a while for a NX, and in desperation almost bought a very heavvy priced one advertised at finn.no. 32.000,- NOK/$5.600!).
Yes, that's the one I was referring to. Also well overpriced. I ended up importing one from Germany which really was mint condition and total costs including customs and VAT came to about 16.000 NOK. So you were really lucky with the 15.000 NOK you paid. I live in Telemark, so it is a bit of a (nice) ride to meet up :).
Quote:
I have to be rather quick getting the bike on road, so I've already got most of the parts: ContiTrailAttack 110/80 R19,
Interesting dimension, especially since they also do that tire also in 100/90 R19. Any reason you went for the wider one and does it fit well?
Quote:
Now I'm looking for some good quality hand deflectors. These Daytona heaters, how are the thickness?[...]Is it good soft rubber on them?
For quality hand guards I went for ACERBIS HAND GUARDS PAIR plus SPOILER FOR ACERBIS as they looks very robust and properly mounted on the side. As for the heaters, I have them on a Honda NTV and must say the rubber is good quality (that's why I didn't recommend the half-price SAITO ones) but never paid much attention to the thickness as this never bothered me.
ImExil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #5139
fikse
All-season-rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImExil View Post
Yes, that's the one I was referring to. Also well overpriced. I ended up importing one from Germany which really was mint condition and total costs including customs and VAT came to about 16.000 NOK. So you were really lucky with the 15.000 NOK you paid. I live in Telemark, so it is a bit of a (nice) ride to meet up :).

Interesting dimension, especially since they also do that tire also in 100/90 R19. Any reason you went for the wider one and does it fit well?

For quality hand guards I went for ACERBIS HAND GUARDS PAIR plus SPOILER FOR ACERBIS as they looks very robust and properly mounted on the side. As for the heaters, I have them on a Honda NTV and must say the rubber is good quality (that's why I didn't recommend the half-price SAITO ones) but never paid much attention to the thickness as this never bothered me.
Hehe, I dont belive You will se mee on this bike in Telemark For that trip I would prefer a tourer I live in Sotra, at the complete west-coast of Norway, close to GB. Even the birds here talks Oxford English

I choosed that dimension, in a belief that it will suit the bike better, considering only driving on Tarmac and only during summer-season. Probably I will try to get some 17" in front (and rear), for summer-season, but not now. It should fit well, I found a post in this tread where I guy succesfully use 110/80-19. For winter I will get some studded tyres from Heidenau: Have had some great experience with Heidenau stud M+S K66. 100% silica. At least as good as scandinavian wintertyres for my car, even if the studs is quite small and few.

Thanks for link to the deflectors. Acerbis I have had on other bikes (but never bought loose), and as far as I remember it was brilliant quality - didnt brake when trying to ride upside-down (...) a snowy day, some years ago
Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 AM   #5140
showallen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Filter

I am interested in the filter group buy.
showallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #5141
fikse
All-season-rider

Eh? Single picture

Finally I made myself a dropbox-account, so I can share photos with you guys:

It will still take some days before Ill get it to my house, so until then this is the best picture Ive got
Old 04-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #5142
mito-nx
Dutch Humor

Oddometer: 57
What kind of oil consumption does your bike have?
Mine is using 0.5 liters on 1500Km.
I took my valves out last winter, and reworked the surface, but it did not help.
Next winter I will change the piston rings, and the valve stem seals.
But what kind of oil consumption is normal for a engine with 35.000Km of hard work on the counter?
mito-nx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #5143
NW_Atrocity
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Talking Howdy!

Hey all! I'm new to the forum but not to NXs. Just wanted to say hi.

And I'm totally in for that filter group buy!
NW_Atrocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #5144
Jessper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
nx

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry31 View Post
That looks a lot like mine..

In ruff-n-ready mode..

In Formal dress

Not many NXs in this color. Yours looks like the original color for a 1990, decals and all.?
Most Ive seen were blue or repainted.
Ive had mine since May 1993 Im 2d owner. Ill probably keep it until Im to old to ride anymore.

Yup, original from 1990. I fell in love with my dad's 1989 model NX and knew i had to have one. I came home with this a couple weeks later for a smokin deal. Its my smalles/slowest bike but its my favorite
Jessper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #5145
fikse
All-season-rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessper View Post
Yup, original from 1990. I fell in love with my dad's 1989 model NX and knew i had to have one. I came home with this a couple weeks later for a smokin deal. Its my smalles/slowest bike but its my favorite
And seems like the same as mine :-) Former owner removed all the turqouise decals, replaced them with something that is supposed to be OE Honda decals (?) and got a black seat. Ohh, Im eager to get in into my house! Hopefully this week