Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #5146
valvecrusher OP
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by mito-nx View Post
What kind of oil consumption does your bike have?
Mine is using 0.5 liters on 1500Km.

But what kind of oil consumption is normal for a engine with 35.000Km of hard work on the counter?
My '89 has 39,000 miles which is 62764 km and it doesn't use any oil, or burn any.
Still on the original ring/piston and valves.

About ready for the 40k mile valve adjustment, the last adjustment was done at 20k miles..

I am NOT handling the air filter buy,
but here is the list of members that would like to be included, for the member who IS handling the DNA group buy.

Clanbree
CurtW
ArthDuro
valvecrusher ? x2
I♥myNX
HondaScoot
MathRocks
Gebogen ? x2
showallen
NW_Atrocity
Muzcuk

valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #5147
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 675
My odometer reads 30000km.

Since it stopped working the bike has done at least 20000km and who knows if the speedo was disconnected before I bought it.

It uses NO oil. Original piston etc.

Perhaps piston rings or valves waay out of spec may cause the oil burning ( best case scenario)
Old 05-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #5148
polarized
Dirt Virgin

Oddometer: 23
Hi, I recently purchased a long neglected '88 NX and am definitely in for the air filter buy! Though a new air filter is the last on the list of new parts for this bike!
polarized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #5149
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I'm on light duty and not riding for a bit so...
POST SOME F@#$ING ACTION SHOTS
please
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #5150
ADVCoot
Wandering around

Oddometer: 329
Tail Rack/Saddle Bags mount on NX250

A friend of mine took on the challenge of making a sturdy tail rack/saddlebag mounts for my 1989 NX250 Honda. He used 1/4" aluminum overall. It's not quite finished...I plan to insert three(3) convertible top snaps in each side of the saddlebag plate and likewise I will insert three(3) snaps in the back side of my soft saddlebags. The tail bag and saddlebags were purchased locally at the "BigBox" store (WM).

I did change out the rear turn signals with inexpensive ones purchased from ebay. They had shorter stalks. I will replace the front signal with the same type. The stock signals were 1" too long. I will add more photos after I clean up a few burrs on the strap slots.

Your comments are welcome and appreciated. My friend is not interested in making more of these. Not that he wouldn't, he just has too many irons in the fire.

"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." – Steve McQueen
ADVCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #5151
CurtW
Thumper

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by valvecrusher View Post
DNA High Performance filter P-H2E09-01
Well, I got back in touch with Houston Superbikes today. Slight change in their story--they are now quoting 4-6 weeks for delivery, and a cost of US$70. I signed myself up as the guinea pig to try an order for *one*, as I did not feel comfortable with committing anybody else before they knew the price. I'm still willing to go after batch, and they'll want payment in advance for a big lot.

I could go and calculate up what the cost will be, Houston sales tax is 8.25%, I need to go and figure out if it would fit into the "small" USPS flat-rate box ($5.15), so it looks like it would float around $80, plus about $3 for fees if you wanted to use paypal. Not sure if that will chase anybody back to carving up a K&N, so when I get a real total cost calculated, I'll look for another show of hands, take orders for a set period of time, and then move out.

HOWEVER, after I've "broken the ice" (watching too much American Pickers), maybe they would take a direct mail order over the phone now. Their local number is 713-222-2332. Toll-free 888-368-5030. If anybody from out of town wants to give them another try, I have no idea what their mailing costs might be (and you'd avoid sales tax).

Anybody want to try them directly before trusting me with your hard-earned cash?

Curt
CurtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #5152
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:A friend of mine took on the challenge of making a sturdy tail rack/saddlebag mounts for my 1989 NX250 Honda. He used 1/4" aluminum overall. It's not quite finished...I plan to insert three(3) convertible top snaps in each side of the saddlebag plate and likewise I will insert three(3) snaps in the back side of my soft saddlebags. The tail bag and saddlebags were purchased locally at the "BigBox" store (WM).

I did change out the rear turn signals with inexpensive ones purchased from ebay. They had shorter stalks. I will replace the front signal with the same type. The stock signals were 1" too long. I will add more photos after I clean up a few burrs on the strap slots.

Your comments are welcome and appreciated. My friend is not interested in making more of these. Not that he wouldn't, he just has too many irons in the fire.

Very nice job. Quite prefessional looking.
Looks like the saddlebags would sit back enough to make use of the rear portion of seat.

The ones I made keep bags a little more forward. I found my bags tended to slide forward, so I used cut-down belts to secure them to frames.

Frames……... http://www.powers31.info/Side_Luggage_Frames.htm
Saddlebags… http://www.powers31.info/nx250_saddlebags.htm
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #5153
ADVCoot
Wandering around

Oddometer: 329
larry31...

Thanks for your comments. I actually had printed out your complete info on the saddlebag mounts and took it to my friend. As a certified, licensed plummer, bending tubing was not an issue for him. But, then he showed me what he had made for his KTM 950[tail rack/saddlebag mount]. He sat it atop my NX250 and waala!!! an almost perfect fit. With his prototype in mind, he set about conforming a somewhat different version more suited to the NX's smaller frame. However, your design was the inspiration for me. Thanks and I hope we can keep this thread active.
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." – Steve McQueen
ADVCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #5154
Goofy Footer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Accelerator Pump

I now know why my bike was running so poorly. It had major hesitation issues from low rpm to high rpm.

The accelerator pump was filled with sealant of some sort from the previous owner. Its been cleaned out now but leaks significantly and needs to be replaced. For a new Accel Pump and Gasket Set from Honda its going to cost $115 typical retail. What are my options here?

#8 and #1 in the pictures

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.php?...988&model=3152

Goofy Footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #5155
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 261
Saddle bag mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoot View Post
Thanks for your comments. I actually had printed out your complete info on the saddlebag mounts and took it to my friend. As a certified, licensed plummer, bending tubing was not an issue for him. But, then he showed me what he had made for his KTM 950[tail rack/saddlebag mount]. He sat it atop my NX250 and waala!!! an almost perfect fit. With his prototype in mind, he set about conforming a somewhat different version more suited to the NX's smaller frame. However, your design was the inspiration for me. Thanks and I hope we can keep this thread active.

Another feature I like about your setup, Helps to keep muck from back side of bags.
Hard panners would mount well. They look real ruggard.
Very professional looking.

The turn signal lights are shaded from ambient light. That allows them to stand out better against dark background.
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #5156
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
keyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy Footer View Post
The accelerator pump was filled with sealant of some sort from the previous owner. Its been cleaned out now but leaks significantly and needs to be replaced. For a new Accel Pump and Gasket Set from Honda its going to cost $115 typical retail. What are my options here?
What about Keyster? The gasket set is fairly cheap, about 23 € / $ 31 at http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nx250-dom...#results%20%29

01600-KEY-0858N

As far as I know, there is no keyster accel pump kit for the NX250? But the XL500r and the NX share the same carburetor (only jets etc. are different) so you may take the one from the XL

Also fairly cheap only $23 (Keyster No. CDV-101) at
http://www.motorradbay.de/XL500R-PD0...-p-3446-2.html
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #5157
LOST4GOOD
n00b

Oddometer: 4
no action but...

heres my old girl!

http://s1244.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=NXFC.jpg

LOST4GOOD screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 07:13 AM Reason: photo no work
LOST4GOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #5158
LOST4GOOD
n00b

Oddometer: 4
take 2....

new to the photobucket sorry
http://s1244.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=NXFC.jpg
LOST4GOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #5159
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC View Post
Search my mini Dakar build project. By Jeff at the quadshop I think. Crafty guy. Good stuff.
I still check on you guys from time to time.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #5160
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop View Post
I still check on you guys from time to time.

hey Jeff
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote