Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #5221
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Nice! Thanks hondscoot, those roads are beautiful. And you've got 700 miles of them? Or more?
hmmm. Might have to make that trip sometime as it looks like a real good time. Well, except for the 125 water crossing!
much oblidged.
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #5222
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

Oddometer: 361
Sorry PTC for the blurred pic. 1051.9 miles ridden. I'm old and everything looks blurred.

My brother spent endless hours putting the worst roads possible into a huge loop. His route was wonderful. On one of his tougher roads, I messed up and the camera took 1300+ blurred pics every two seconds which filled the balace of the 16 gig card.
Honda Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #5223
gforcephuket
n00b

Oddometer: 2
My '92 AX-1 250

Hello Everyone, first thanks for having this specialized forum, which I've visited a number of times over the years but never became a member until now (I also have a '90 NSR 250R, a '91 GSX-400RR and a '11 Er-6n and can't really be members of them all or I'd not have any free time:) so tend to stay in the background a bit).

But I'd really like to share some pix of my AX-1 with you all, which I've had for about 6 years now. She was pretty nice when I bought her but especially in the last year and a half have done quite a bit of work, including an engine rebuild several months ago, spray job etc. She's got 56,300 km on the clock, though I rode her for about 3 years with the speedo cable broken (now fixed), so probably has closer to at least 75,000 km.

She's mostly stock (though that's changing more and more as I upgrade or replace some things), with the exception of:
a) Supertrapp E.A.R. slip-on (pretty loud but that's adjustable and anyway not a problem in Thailand:)
b) EBC brake pads + Swage braided brake lines
c) Modified seat to account for my long legs, gives her a bigger and more aggressive look
d) Carbon fiber mirrors
e) Givi top box
e) Rear shock from a Suzuki dzr 250 (just recently added, this has significantly raised the rear end height, which has in turn made turning in on steering even faster, which I'm ok with as 95% of our roads here are curvy and I ride her more like a supermoto than an enduro, despite the semi-knobby Dunlops). I haven't taken any pix with the new shock on, will post some later but suffice it to say she looks even more aggressive.

To be honest I don't ride her off-road that much anymore because I've turned her into a bit of a pampered piece of my mini-museum collection, but she gets ridden like she was stolen on Phuket's twisty coastal roads. In fact with that big front wheel she goes through the twisties faster than a lot of big sports bikes. I'm quite impressed by these Dunlop's, even when leaned way the heck over they don't let go unless I want to make them (probably helped by the fact our roads are generally hot/warm all the time, even at night). I've kept the knobbies on instead of changing to more street oriented hoops just in case there's another tsunami!

For some more pix plz go to http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/v...ts%20Traverse/

While I have to say that my NSR is my #1 baby and undeniably one of the most involving/adrenaline inducing rides you'll find on the streets period, the AX-1 is an absolutely FANTASTIC bike that I love just as much. I'm sure you all enjoy yours (or similar versions) too, happy trails and thanks again for the site!

gforcephuket screwed with this post 05-26-2012 at 07:42 PM Reason: added link to more photos
gforcephuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:40 AM   #5224
fikse
All-season-rider

Oddometer: 88
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforcephuket View Post
Hello Everyone, first thanks for having this specialized forum, which I've visited a number of times over the years but never became a member until now (I also have a '90 NSR 250R, a '91 GSX-400RR and a '11 Er-6n and can't really be members of them all or I'd not have any free time:) so tend to stay in the background a bit).
Thats a nice piece of Honda Quite special colour Youve choosed. Nice! Lots of nice photos.
The rear suspension Youve used, Ill guess its a bit softer than the one from SV650, as several here uses. Is it possible to drill new mounting holes at the lower "fork" on this unit, as you can do with the SV-version? Personally Im not high, so would love to stick with almost same height as original
Im looking for braided lines as well, possible getting a friend of mine to make it for me. Does I see correct if you have connected the braided line directly to the top brake reservoir via a banjobolt, getting rid of all of these "extensions" in variable dimensions? Do you have braided line all the way from reservoir down to the calipper?

The Supertrap, is it designed for the AX/NX? Looks nice. Ill guess the sound is jolly good, waking up sleepy car-drivers

I absolutely agree with you the NSR is something for itself Never drived one myself, but I understand the consept. Have tried a Yamaha 2-stroke 250 in the late 80's, what a crazy bike with almost 50HP, all power located at top RPM! Had a CBR600 myself a few years ago. A bit heavy compared to the NSR of course, but still a nice piece of R-bike. Unfortunately it was "boring" to drive in less than 50mph, the fun started at 80mph, so I had to sell it to keep myself alive Got myself a KTM Duke 125 last year, hoping it would be a nice commuter to work. Sorry to say it was rubbish Indian quality, alot of serious faults already when brand new. Just got my hands on a NX from 1993 who needs a bit attention, but I just love the extreme Honda quality
Old 05-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #5225
RollingJ
The mud in your eye

Oddometer: 234
I reserve all rights to this video, VC, no matter what you say.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #5226
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
right on RollingJ, you know you wanted to pop a wheelie there, i saw it!
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #5227
HondaNx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Honda NX 250

Hey Guys, I just picked up a Honda NX 250, witch is in Okay Condition. This is the first time i have ever worked on a Motorcycle. I have been working on it and i can get it started up on Starter Fluid for a few seconds. Well I guess that the gas is not getting through the carburetor, I tried to spray some Carburetor fluid but with no luck. Are the Jets Clogged? What should i do? I know its run's.

Appreciate some input.

Thanks
HondaNX
HondaNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #5228
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaNx View Post
Hey Guys, I just picked up a Honda NX 250, witch is in Okay Condition. This is the first time i have ever worked on a Motorcycle. I have been working on it and i can get it started up on Starter Fluid for a few seconds. Well I guess that the gas is not getting through the carburetor, I tried to spray some Carburetor fluid but with no luck. Are the Jets Clogged? What should i do? I know its run's.

Appreciate some input.

Thanks
HondaNX

Sounds like the rototiller I just sold in my garage sale.
I stored it for several years in an outside shed. It was running ok when put up. No gas in tank and clean air filter.
When I pulled the air cleaner, I saw the foam filter was breaking down. Some filter "stuff" must have gone down into the carb.
It would start and run for a min. then starve for fuel. I think must have had Crap in the carb.

On your bike, the previous owner probably didn't store it properly.
You may have a gummed up carb. Take it off and carefully clean it.

You can also clean the gas tank. Disassemble and clean the petcock. Drain old gas and put a small amount of gas in tank and slosh it around then dump it out. Look inside with a flash light to see if any thing is floating around in there. Look at the gas, you used to clean the tank, for junk from the tank.

I had a 89 NX250 that would run ok until I let it go to idle. It wouldn't drop back to normal idle speed.
I cleaned the carb. and blew out the ports. It ran good after that.
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #5229
HondaNx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hey larry31,

I have already cleaned out the Gas Tank. As for the Carb. I can get the motorcycle to go put put, like it sounds like its going to start but does not. The bike has been sitting since 92 and i dont think the fuel getting through it, so i guess one day i have all day and ill slowly take it apart and clean it. Does anyone have any pictures of them cleaning one themselves? or a good video on how to do it?

Thanks

Also, could be a Incorrect ignition timing? Because the engine does not start, but will start with Starter fluid?

HondaNx screwed with this post 05-28-2012 at 07:58 PM
HondaNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #5230
valvecrusher OP
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,710
What did your NX do today?....

well...
(click to enlarge all photos)
What a long strange ride it's been....

Still a looker, though..

Only 60,000 miles more to go?
Maybe a new look?

Valve adjustment coming up, the last was done at 20k....so it'll be interesting to see how much(if any) has changed clearance-wise in the shims...

Since the oil was changed last week, it's gonna be one more oil change interval before adjusting the valves..
By then, it'll have fresh tires, and chain/sprocket,

and hopefully a DNA filter?

Is anyone dealing with DNA filter on a group deal?

valvecrusher screwed with this post 05-28-2012 at 09:24 PM
valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #5231
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 719
Well, my AX-1 is being retired from all but graded dirt duty.

She can do it, but my Suzuki DR250 and KTM 450RFS do it so much better. Plus repairing plastics is a pain.

Tomorrow she goes in for a new clutch, chain and sprockets and a tooth up on the front sprocket.

My back tire is done, so I will treat her to some new shinko slick front and rears in the next few weeks also. Pics to come.
Jacl-Kampuchea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #5232
vanilla2009
n00b

Oddometer: 4
new kid in town...

Hello everyone.My name is Roly and i'm from Romania.I bought this beautiful bike nx 250 1 month ago.Is a '95 model,a black one and i use it only for enduro.But...i bought the bike with a CDI problem,i tried to resolder the connectors but it doesn't work very well,sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.Sometimes i have to push at the bottom of the CDI a little bit to have a spark.So,i decided....i want to buy a new CDI but it seems to me that the original one,made by Honda,cost very much(arround 300 euro).My question is...did anyone buy a new CDI (not chinese model) from the market (tommotec.de or other places) ?? It works well ??? How much did it cost?? Thank you very much

p.s. i apologize for my english,i hope is not a problem
vanilla2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:35 AM   #5233
vanilla2009
n00b

I want to put some pictures with my toy....how can i do that?At the bottom of the page it sais that i can not put attachments...thanks
Old 05-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #5234
vanilla2009
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx&ace View Post
I have 2 NX250's. An '88 and '90. The '88 had the CDI acting up, so pulled the '90 CDI and put it in the '88. Worked perfect, so I ordered another CDI from Service Honda for the '90 and put it in the '90. Worked just fine, so now I have a '90 model CDI in both bikes. I can't tell any performance difference in the 88 with the 90 unit. Service Honda shows different numbers for the two units but they both seem to work just fine. Both bikes are low mileage, 5000 on 88 and 8000 on the 90. Age of CDI seems to be more of a problem than miles. I had another 88 NX several years ago and the CDI went bad at around 6000 miles on it. Also Service Honda seems to have the lowest prices and are good to work with. Hope this info is useful.
Hello.What part number did you use ??? I use CI548A and it doesnt work.The number used is wrong? I have a '95 NX 250.Thanks
Old 05-30-2012, 02:07 AM   #5235
fikse
All-season-rider

Oddometer: 88
Hi Vanilla, and Welcome
Your english is no problem to understand, at least not for me (from Norway)

I have used dropbox to share photos: I upload the pictures to a public folder in dropbox, and put in the hyperlink into an post here. Works well. Test it here. There are of course several other free storages on the net :-)
This site have stopped possibility to upload pictures to the site, unfortunately.

Not able to help you regarding the CDI, sorry. Best of luck!