Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 05:31 AM   #5236
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Cdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla2009 View Post
My question is...did anyone buy a new CDI (not chinese model) from the market (tommotec.de or other places) ??

I bought a CDI from tommytec a few months ago via ebay

http://www.ebay.de/itm/CDI-NX-250-al...item1c194ebc8b

All I can say by now is that it works as it should with my 1989 Nixie. I don´t have any long term experience, but I heard from other guys (one of them with a 1993 NX250) that they didn´t have any problems either.

A good place to look up spare part numbers is http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nx250_model278/

scrambler66 screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 05:39 AM
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #5237
valvecrusher OP
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,669
d.n.a filter

I am not 'actually' handling the DNA filter group buy(yet)...
but i have been inquiring with them...

for a 'group discount',
we need to order 20 units...

then the DISCOUNTED price will be $66.00 each, not counting shipping from (VC's house, or whomever) to your door.

That will probably be $5 bucks, using USPS priority mail.

If the interest appears, we can solidify our order, pony up the monies, and order them...

Speak up, or order for yourselves later...
but i've put it out there for us....that's a pretty big discount from retail...and perhaps they might even sweeten the deal from that...(for more than 20)

but that's what the email i received quoted...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dna customer service
20 pcs DNA P-H2E09-01 shipped as one order via airmail 66 USD/unit shipping cost included.
The only requirement is to order the filter all together in one shipment.
$66 each for 20 units in one order
That's $1320 U.S. dollars.(I was hoping for $50 each)

That's all i know .fyi
thoughts?

valvecrusher screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 12:10 AM
valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #5238
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC View Post
Pop wheelies.
do jumps
Post pics.
Ladies
http://s603.photobucket.com/albums/t...urrent=106.mp4

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 07:07 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:54 AM   #5239
vanilla2009
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler66 View Post
I bought a CDI from tommytec a few months ago via ebay

http://www.ebay.de/itm/CDI-NX-250-al...item1c194ebc8b

All I can say by now is that it works as it should with my 1989 Nixie. I don´t have any long term experience, but I heard from other guys (one of them with a 1993 NX250) that they didn´t have any problems either.

A good place to look up spare part numbers is http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nx250_model278/

Thank you very much for these informations.
vanilla2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:19 AM   #5240
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by valvecrusher View Post
I am not 'actually' handling the DNA filter group buy(yet)...
but i have been inquiring with them...

for a 'group discount',
we need to order 20 units...

then the DISCOUNTED price will be $66.00 each, not counting shipping from (VC's house, or whomever) to your door.

That will probably be $5 bucks, using USPS priority mail.

If the interest appears, we can solidify our order, pony up the monies, and order them...

Speak up, or order for yourselves later...
but i've put it out there for us....that's a pretty big discount from retail...and perhaps they might even sweeten the deal from that...(for more than 20)

but that's what the email i received quoted...

$66 each for 20 units in one order
That's $1320 U.S. dollars.(I was hoping for $50 each)

That's all i know .fyi
thoughts?
Obscenely expensive?

I'd stick with making them at that price.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:55 AM   #5241
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
Obscenely expensive?

I'd stick with making them at that price.

Yeppers...

From $70 to $66 is like when gas goes down .5 cents and everyone can't wait to drive their SUV's to the pump.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:57 AM   #5242
muzcuk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
steering stem bearings.

Hello,

I have just received a set of tapered headrace bearings, which to my surprise, did not fit.

They were 48 mm in outer diameter whereas the original was 47 mm. I was stupid enough to not measure other dimensions on the originals and put the front end back together.

Now the seller is asking for exact specs to send a replacement.

Does anyone have the specs (inner diameter and height) on the headrace bearings? Otherwise I'm going to have to take it back apart.

Thanks

Murat
muzcuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #5243
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzcuk View Post
They were 48 mm in outer diameter whereas the original was 47 mm. I was stupid enough to not measure other dimensions on the originals and put the front end back together.

Now the seller is asking for exact specs to send a replacement.

Does anyone have the specs (inner diameter and height) on the headrace bearings?

the specs are 47 x 26 x 15 mm (top and bottom) - must have been some seller since all Honda enduros (xl250/350/600, NX250/650, Xr250/350/600/650 etc.) got the same bearings
Old 05-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #5244
benston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
How much is a valve adjustment for the NX and how frequently? what about oil? I am about to embark on a long journey potentially using an 88 NX (it has a new cdi) - I am very nervous about making the purchase. So i'd like to gather some facts before I commit.

Thank you guys.

Ps. I posted a thread about it here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=795440
benston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #5245
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

100.000 km (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benston View Post
How much is a valve adjustment for the NX and how frequently? what about oil? I am about to embark on a long journey potentially using an 88 NX (it has a new cdi) - I am very nervous about making the purchase. So i'd like to gather some facts before I commit.
In my opinion, you couldn’t get a better bike for a long journey in terms of reliability. My Nixie has faithfully served me almost 100.000km without letting me down even once. And she was by no means given a break, be it in sandy Swakopmund or snowy Swabia ;-) And I know of 2 more NX250 with more than 110.000km, so it seems that this little bike is really bulletproofed.

Even when the CDI failed at 78.000km and the Nixie didn’t start, after some jiggling at the CDI wiring the NX finally fired up and I was able to finish the trip. The CDI is thus one spare part I highly recommend on journeys, sooner or later it will fail for sure.

I have checked the valve adjustment three times, but even at 98.000km the clearance was still within the limits given by the factory manual (which recommend checking every 36.000km!).

The manual recommends changing the oil every 12.000km, which I did – I always used rather cheap mineral oil. The oil consumption was about 0,1l/1000km until 80.000km – after that it rose to 0,3l. The last 2000km I tried synthetic 10W40 oil for the first time; it lowered the consumption to 0,1l.

And I recommend gasoline with at least 95 octane - 98 wouldn't hurt. Because 91 octane gasoline led to some cases of damaged crank shafts and pistons (see below, its in German, but I think the pictures speak for themselves). For that reason the NX was sold in Europe with a 142 main jet - which is probably also a good idea for US-Nixies.

One thing you have to keep an ear on is any unusual noise from the engine. The NX250 engine is usually very silent in terms of mechanical noise - any rattling or clacking is due to lengthening of the timing chain and the incapability of the tensioner to deal with that. My Nixie started to rattle softly at about 70.000km – changing the tensioner did not help. At about 98.000km the rattling became so noisy that I tried a fix from this forum (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...22268&page=333 ) and the rattling was gone. Of course I should change the timing chain, but this is by no means trivial and I wanted to finish the 100.000km with unopened engine. Because clutch, piston etc . are still original.

She is not a beauty any more, but I never spend much time on cleaning my bikes.

The speedometer is now reading 99.907 km, so I guess this weekend I’m going to finish it ;-).

scrambler66 screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 09:38 AM
Old 06-01-2012, 02:21 AM   #5246
muzcuk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
the specs are 47 x 26 x 15 mm (top and bottom) - must have been some seller since all Honda enduros (xl250/350/600, NX250/650, Xr250/350/600/650 etc.) got the same bearings
Yeah, at least they are sending a replacement, no questions asked. Thanks for the info!

Murat
muzcuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #5247
benston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
In my opinion, you couldn’t get a better bike for a long journey in terms of reliability. My Nixie has faithfully served me almost 100.000km without letting me down even once. And she was by no means given a break, be it in sandy Swakopmund or snowy Swabia ;-) And I know of 2 more NX250 with more than 110.000km, so it seems that this little bike is really bulletproofed.

Even when the CDI failed at 78.000km and the Nixie didn’t start, after some jiggling at the CDI wiring the NX finally fired up and I was able to finish the trip. The CDI is thus one spare part I highly recommend on journeys, sooner or later it will fail for sure.

I have checked the valve adjustment three times, but even at 98.000km the clearance was still within the limits given by the factory manual (which recommend checking every 36.000km!).

The manual recommends changing the oil every 12.000km, which I did – I always used rather cheap mineral oil. The oil consumption was about 0,1l/1000km until 80.000km – after that it rose to 0,3l. The last 2000km I tried synthetic 10W40 oil for the first time; it lowered the consumption to 0,1l.

And I recommend gasoline with at least 95 octane - 98 wouldn't hurt. Because 91 octane gasoline led to some cases of damaged crank shafts and pistons (see below, its in German, but I think the pictures speak for themselves). For that reason the NX was sold in Europe with a 142 main jet - which is probably also a good idea for US-Nixies.

One thing you have to keep an ear on is any unusual noise from the engine. The NX250 engine is usually very silent in terms of mechanical noise - any rattling or clacking is due to lengthening of the timing chain and the incapability of the tensioner to deal with that. My Nixie started to rattle softly at about 70.000km – changing the tensioner did not help. At about 98.000km the rattling became so noisy that I tried a fix from this forum (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...22268&page=333 ) and the rattling was gone. Of course I should change the timing chain, but this is by no means trivial and I wanted to finish the 100.000km with unopened engine. Because clutch, piston etc . are still original.

She is not a beauty any more, but I never spend much time on cleaning my bikes.

The speedometer is now reading 99.907 km, so I guess this weekend I’m going to finish it ;-).

Thank you! Fantastic write up! Do you know how well it does against headwinds? what about at altitude?
benston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #5248
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
Right on! How many jumps are possible in two and a half minutes? I couldn't count.
now if you build a six inch lip at the top of that ditch...( which makes me wanna ride a skateboard), yeehaw.
thanks iheart
now how bout the rest of you girls?......,..,.................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #5249
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Goldentyre GT205

Quote:
Originally Posted by benston View Post
Thank you! Fantastic write up! Do you know how well it does against headwinds? what about at altitude?
Yes, she doesn’t like headwinds – then she got trouble to keep 60mi/h. In this case you simply have to shift one or two gears down. One thing that could not hurt would be a 43 sprocket.
Concerning the altitude, with the original main jet (136) it’s no problem to go up to 2600 yards and probably even more –but it’s difficult to find higher tracks in the Alps. I credit the lean mixture of the carburetor; my dominator is losing much more power on higher altitudes.

But you should look for some decent tires– for instance Goldentyre makes some T63 replica tires that fit on the 16/19 inch rims.
http://www.mx-power.eu/epages/622578...ectID=27639895

Old 06-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #5250
fikse
All-season-rider

Oddometer: 88
Wow! Thats some picture. Alps? :-)
Thanks alot for some nice writeup!

Bought mine NX a month ago, and have had some service on it (oil-filters-brake-tyres-antifreeze-lubricating), and finally yesterday I got my first real trip with her. Surprised how well these 25 "ponies" does the job. Found myself revving it a long way into the red sone! Seems like its no revlimiter?!
Found a few glitches Ive got to fix in near future: Clutch is pretty inaccurate, difficult to fint the slip-point (between "on" and "off"), and the carb might need a little attention: If I give sharp full trottle when its idling, it sometimes dies, and top power Is not on complete full trottle, but just before full trottle. Nothing dramatic, but since I will drive alot in the slow rush-hours, sneaking between the cars, both should be in perfect condition. Rear suspension is pretty much shot, at least way to soft for my use. Got som 15W oil in forks, but still its way to soft, so Ill guess a set of quality springs is to be ordered.

Anyway, so for so good. Very happy to find such an old bike with such impressive abilities. I've had to limit myself not to drive to hard in curves, not forgetting brand new tyres is quite slippery It starts with a touch on the button, and just pure happy sounds from engine can be heard, although I miss some sound from exhaust. This bike must be the closest to electric bikes

I must be honest to say the few things I miss is a separate (sub?)forum for this Nixie. There are such a amount of quality info for this bike, but all is stuffed into this and a few more treads, making it a challlenge to find what you need...