Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #5251
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikse View Post
Clutch is pretty inaccurate, difficult to fint the slip-point (between "on" and "off"), and the carb might need a little attention: If I give sharp full trottle when its idling, it sometimes dies, and top power Is not on complete full trottle, but just before full trottle.

I must be honest to say the few things I miss is a separate (sub?)forum for this Nixie. There are such a amount of quality info for this bike, but all is stuffed into this and a few more treads, making it a challlenge to find what you need...
Yep, the clutch isnīt the most accurate thing on the market, but at least with a new clutch cable itís fairly easy to pull. I havenīt had Nixies clutch apart so far, but I guess itís the same problem as with the NX650. Here the clutch springs are made out of ordinary steal, which weakens pretty fast and even worse, every spring weakens differently, leading to variably spring forces for each spring. As a result, the clutch is not opened evenly, which led to a screeching (in case of the NX250) or even slipping (in case of NX650) clutch. The springs from the aftermarket are even worse (thatís why most of them are labeled as ď10% harderĒ, thus they are a mere temporary fix). So some guys from the German Dominator forum solved this by using springs originally intended as valve springs. They have exact the same spring forces, and these valve springs do not get weaker. So now we need someone who paid more attention than I in physics in school to figure out the values for the NX250 clutch springs and calculates which valve springs may fit (for instance on a page like that, but itís in German though)

http://www.federnshop.com/Berechnung...erechnung.aspx

Concerning your carb, I guess itís either not enough fuel (have you got an additional fuel filter? Is the original fuel filter clean?) or some air leaking of the carb (e.g. bended carb topset or cracked insulator).

And by the way: the exhaust of the US-NX (left one) is much louder

And yes, it would be really nice to have an own forum for the NX. At least we got a neat sub forum within the German Honda dominator forum. Maybe sometimes we could gather a few Nixie-maniacs and slab something ;-)
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #5252
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC View Post
Right on! How many jumps are possible in two and a half minutes?

lol... Not sure. I had Shaky take three vids but they were all piss-poor and it took me a pathetic 5 hours to up-load that vid... God I need a GoPro... I was at it for a good 10-15 minutes at least. I stopped before hypocrites got pissed and the law got involved... so they'd have to put a fence up... You know,,, day and age we live in..

That spill-way is in front of the apartments I currently live in, but I'm moving out in a few days, so I don't care/ getting it out of my system

I'd kill to be able to half pipe it.

Right up the road there's also a nice right-of-way type thing that runs parallel to the road I like to blast up but again it's Gorilla Style so the cops don't show up.

They're super thick these days with the crummy economy and stuff (Quota, writing tickets, err, "generating revenue" and such). Super-super thick. They're even staking out my way to work trying to catch me blasting by.

Funny funny ride to work the other morning. Right at the base of some S's I pass a Ford truck, look up and see the side of a Impala with a light bar and writing on the side of it turning the curve at the top towards me.

In my lane already, I see him and slow down so fast by the time he can line me up in his sights and paint me with his laser I was already doing the limit...

I had a good laugh... Not sure (or even care) about the guy in the Ford tho... I'm sure he was pissed and irate about that crazy suicidal guy on the Crotch Rocket.. But you know how it goes. (it would be) Alright, if he did it.

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 06-03-2012 at 05:34 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #5253
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 252
1989 NX250 for sale

89 NX250 for sale

Iím posting this for the guy that bought this bike from me last year.

I previously owned this bike and know itís condition. This guy only put a few miles on it and just bought a Honda CBR600RR
The bike for sale is a 1989 Honda NX250 (Blue) with about 8800 miles.
As far as I know, itís still in very good condition. It had 8,762 miles on it when I sold it to him.

This pix is from when I owned itÖ ( I kept the saddle bags. ) The saddle bag frames are still on it.

You can contact himÖ Matthew Willard akm_willard47@hotmail.com
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #5254
Sambucas
travelin.tk

Oddometer: 58
Engine broken > need advice...

Hi guys,

You may know us from before, we are Dave and Marly, 2 Dutchies, and doing a trans-Africa motorcycle trip on 2 Honda NX 250. We are currently in Ethiopia.

Now we have a problem... Last week Dave's NX suddenly died while driving around 70 kph, shortly after a loud tick was heard from the engine. Then it wouldn't start anymore. It was still cranking and sounding like it was almost about to run, but it never ignited. (only 'almost ignition' blob sounds from the exhaust). We checked the fuel supply and checked the spark, all fine. Then we started to suspect the timing, so we took the valve cover off. We found the cam chain with one of the links half broken, so that was the end of that day of driving.

Back at a good place to stay and work on the bike (in the capital Addis Ababa) we ordered a new cam chain, that will come in from Holland (can't get it here). Then we started disassembling the engine, to be able to reach and replace the cam chain. (the new one will be a one-piece chain). But then we found that the cam chain gear on the crankshaft lost a few teeth... :(

My best guess is that the cam chain was worn (eventually we found 2 half-broken links on the chain) and was too loose and then at one point got stuck (with the half-broken link, which is protuding from the chain) between the engine casing and the crankshaft cam gear and stripped a few teeth of the gear.

So we will also need a new crankshaft. Again we are trying to find it in and get it from the Netherlands. We have just found one, but it's big end bearing is broken, so I am not sure if it would make a good replacement.

Our questions:

- Can we disassemble and combine 2 crankshafts, so that 1 with a shot gear and 1 with a shot big end bearing can make 1 good shaft???

- If not, what would be our best bet to source a good crankshaft, for a reasonable price?

- How did this happen? Is our guess correct that this is caused by just a worn cam chain, or is there more going on?

Unfortunately, we have been so busy getting the cam chain, etc. that we didn't take the cylinder head off, so we don't know the state of the valves and piston. But when I crank the engine slowly manually, they don't seem to collide. We will check ASAP, though.

Ok, thanks for ANY advice, we are a bit lost here...

Greetings from Ethiopia,

Dave and Marly
www.travelin.tk

Sambucas screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 12:17 AM
Sambucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #5255
fikse
All-season-rider

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler66 View Post
Yep, the clutch isnīt the most accurate thing on the market, but at least with a new clutch cable itís fairly easy to pull. I havenīt had Nixies clutch apart so far, but I guess itís the same problem as with the NX650. Here the clutch springs are made out of ordinary steal, which weakens pretty fast and even worse, every spring weakens differently, leading to variably spring forces for each spring. As a result, the clutch is not opened evenly, which led to a screeching (in case of the NX250) or even slipping (in case of NX650) clutch. The springs from the aftermarket are even worse (thatís why most of them are labeled as ď10% harderĒ, thus they are a mere temporary fix). So some guys from the German Dominator forum solved this by using springs originally intended as valve springs. They have exact the same spring forces, and these valve springs do not get weaker. So now we need someone who paid more attention than I in physics in school to figure out the values for the NX250 clutch springs and calculates which valve springs may fit (for instance on a page like that, but itís in German though)

http://www.federnshop.com/Berechnung...erechnung.aspx

Concerning your carb, I guess itís either not enough fuel (have you got an additional fuel filter? Is the original fuel filter clean?) or some air leaking of the carb (e.g. bended carb topset or cracked insulator).

And by the way: the exhaust of the US-NX (left one) is much louder

And yes, it would be really nice to have an own forum for the NX. At least we got a neat sub forum within the German Honda dominator forum. Maybe sometimes we could gather a few Nixie-maniacs and slab something ;-)
Thanks alot for thorough answers/tips. Very valuable
Good tips regarding the springs! I see EBC makes springs/plates for the NX. And a separate number for springs for the AX1... Wonder why. AFAIK the NX and AX share plates, and most of engine is identical, except it has a tad more power. Will contact the EBC representative locally to hear if its stiffness who is difference between AX and NX springs...

Yep, I also suspect some leaks/dirt/something in carb. Airfilter is new, gas is fresh 95 oct, but bike has sat still for approx 3 years, so alot could have happened, of course. Have no extra filter for gas, but Ive cleaned out the tank (free from rust, only some old and pretty clean gas), and cleaned the OE filter, wich was already OK looking. Not opened the carb yet, and not checked with startgaz for airleaks. Will do, will do. When time... (my wife gave birth to our boy #3 14 days ago, so relatively busy at the moment)

I'll drive like this a few tanks of gas, to get used to the bike, and also check consumption, etc. before I'll go any further.

Have got some larger jets (actually a jet kit), and I think of DIY a stainless/alu exhaust baffle, to get some more free flow and a tad of sound A new exhaust is rather expensive, especially when compared to how simple most of them are built up: 50% perforated, straight pipe inside, and some steel-wool and fibre stuffed into a can. Have contact with a stainless-steel-shop, where I can spend a few hours making something fun
Thank you for confirming the difference in OE exhausts! I wondered why I did not have the "inspection hole" with the spark arrester in bottom rear on exhaust, but Ill guess thats one of the differences. The European version is way to "thight". I always use earplugs when driving, and this is the first bike Ive had where I have to look at the tacho to see if its still idling, when i.e. rolling into a junction

Own forum.. Is that an idea?.. Any thoughts?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:31 AM   #5256
RollingJ
The mud in your eye

Oddometer: 233
The exhaust is a stressed member of the frame, so if you swap it out make sure to run a strong brace to the subframe or you will tweak it with wild abandon.

RollingJ screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 11:51 AM Reason: grammar
RollingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #5257
fikse
All-season-rider

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingJ View Post
The exhaust is a stressed member of the frame, so if you swap it out make sure to run a strong brace to the subframe or you will tweak the it with wild abandon.
Thanks for the tip! I would never have thought of the exhaust as an part of the (sub)frame
Old 06-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #5258
SAKONE
one cylinder

Oddometer: 7
That NX250 type of feeling

Bought one about a month ago and this is the results:

Nice condition. 22k miles. Street tires. Included was lithium grease sprayed on the chain and tire. Using this bike primarily for street. Decided to change a few things.

Bought a new CDI unit from a place called RegulatorRectifier.com for $130.

Put a fuel filter from cyclegear on:

and also a 12V cig adapter in the pocket:

Didn't like the factory stickers, but had a hard time removing the old sticker glue. Decided to wrap it in vinyl in a similar color that was close to factory:

Removed the front gaiters and just used some Kriega fork seal covers, and put in a HID bulb (8000K) so I can shine that light into a drivers mirror:

Didn't like the way the license plate holder since it seemed bulky so I removed it and used some LED license plate light bolts and replaced the brake light with a LED unit also since the original bulb was on it's last leg. Replaced the turn signals with shorter stalk versions also:

My NX250 also has a Works performance rear shock:

Cleaned up a few more things and this is it for now:

The skid plate and luggage rack top was shot with undercoat/rubberized paint. Then sprayed some black engine paint I had laying around on the skid plate and trim paint on the rack. Also had the seat re done with a carbon fiber look material with some stitching.

Also got a DNA air filter.

This bike is something I was looking for. It's my first motorcycle. I am a car guy who decided to try two wheels.
SAKONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #5259
SAKONE
one cylinder

NX250 AX-1 DNA Air filter

Got this in the mail from DNA (Greece!):

Comparison photo:

Airbox:

DNA missed a number on my address and shipment got delayed. Just ordered this from their site no problems. They even had a special on the cleaning kit if you bought one of these. Helping out the Greek economy. I think I paid $80/$75 shipped to my door. I would prefer a K&N since that is what I use in my cars, but the build quality on this is on par.

Don't know if some people run a pre filter aside from the factory air filter since it seems the users here like to ride on the dirt and this filter might not like a lot of dust.
SAKONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:04 AM   #5260
muzcuk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
DNA filter

Hey!

Did it lean out the mixture to the point that you feel the urge to play around with the jets? Just curious..

I'm thinking the air filter/exhaust/jet combo upgrade would be nice but either one alone would be kind of pointless. That is one very expensive air filter in any case.

Murat
muzcuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:48 AM   #5261
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 252
Tires??

Sakone
Quote: Nice condition. 22k miles. Street tires. Included was lithium grease sprayed on the chain and tire. Using this bike primarily for street. Decided to change a few things.

Are your wheels stock size? If so, what tires do you have for street?

I have a 1990 NX with original wheels ( 16" & 19" ) and would like to try street tires, but can't find a size to fit.
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #5262
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry31 View Post

I have a 1990 NX with original wheels ( 16" & 19" ) and would like to try street tires, but can't find a size to fit.

OTTOMH, Conti Go!, Kenda Challenger or Cruiser...

Here. Play in the "Narrow by" box and see what u get...

http://www.bikebandit.com/rear-stree...933-4294966937

Forget the 120. Put a 130 on it... MT90 I believe...

http://www.bikebandit.com/rear-130-9...933-4294966937
Old 06-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #5263
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzcuk View Post
Hey!

Did it lean out the mixture to the point that you feel the urge to play around with the jets? Just curious..

I'm thinking the air filter/exhaust/jet combo upgrade would be nice but either one alone would be kind of pointless. That is one very expensive air filter in any case.

Murat

No, not the jetting... At least mine is still SUPER super lean... It's cold natured and needs to warm up even in the mid to upper 70's.

Runs like a bat out of hell when it's cold and dry though.

I'm itching to see what it's like jetted. (3rd gear wheelies?) I bet it's good for another 1 or 2 h.p on the Butt Dyno.

Take your trap door (of the muffler) off unless you're running around federal lands. It might be a placebo but I think mine runs better.

There are two posts on this site that previous owners say THEIR bikes were slow or ran out of steam over 55. Mine has plenty of roll-on at 55 even in 6th... I do not even have to downshift.

The Husky guys say the SMR450 gets like 5 more hp when they shorten the can by 4-5 inches... There's plenty of that to spare on the NX's...

I wonder if that E3 plug would help...

EDIT: Plus, advancing the fuel pump in the carburetor...

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 06-08-2012 at 04:34 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #5264
SAKONE
one cylinder

The DNA air filter by itself seems fine, just bought it so I don't have to buy a new filter for awhile. Exhaust upgrade, and new sized jets and some dyno time should take care of my performance upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry31 View Post
Sakone
Quote: Nice condition. 22k miles. Street tires. Included was lithium grease sprayed on the chain and tire. Using this bike primarily for street. Decided to change a few things.

Are your wheels stock size? If so, what tires do you have for street?

My rear is a 120/90/16 the front is 100/90/19 both Kenda challengers. Still getting used to tire sizing for motorcycles. Off the shelf tires from a store around this area. Fairly cheap.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #5265
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
14,292 miles and the NX250 is dead.

I sold my NX250 to my neighbor and friend when his Baja Bug broke down for about the fifth time. He had been renting cars while he repaired his VW, so he was happy to have reliable and cheap transportation in between breakdowns.

Yesterday he called me at work and said that the bike made a bit of a grinding noise and then lost power and wouldn't start. My wife rescued him with the truck and when I got off work I took a look at the bike. Pulling the valve cover showed no immediate damage, but as I turned over the engine I saw that the exhaust valve buckets stayed depressed after the cam passed over them. I checked the timing and it was off by quite a bit, looks like the timing chain skipped and the exhaust valve are probably bent. No telling what other damage has occured until I get the head off.

So much for reliable, less than 15,000 miles isn't that impressive.