Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 03:56 AM   #5326
muzcuk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Machine View Post
I've never understood why so many folks want to transform this little street/rough pavement little bike that was designed as a ride for the Japanese student market into a dirt bike.
The real power of this little ride is flexibility, comfortable suspension, reliability and ease of use.
It was never intended to be used on dirt tracks or mountain roads. It doesn't have a strong frame, there's too much plastic covering this whole thing and most importantly, it doesn't have a heavy duty suspension to support this type of driving.
I am not saying that it's not fun in trying to do this, I just don't understand it.
Just sayin
Excuse me, but you are not referring to my efforts to keep my bike running are you?
muzcuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:58 AM   #5327
muzcuk
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikse View Post
I'll guess the guarantee-thing is long gone then
Oh yeah, it must have been gone for about 20 years now, if it ever existed in the first place.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:10 AM   #5328
fikse
All-season-rider

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzcuk View Post
Oh yeah, it must have been gone for about 20 years now, if it ever existed in the first place.
I meant the oil, not the bike

I know a dude who got fixed his old car-engine because of some oil that clogged in certain engines, and blocked the tiny oil"ducts". So warranty exists, but it might be an hard time to proof it, of course
Old 06-25-2012, 04:19 AM   #5329
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
thermo switch

Quote:
My thermostat is broken so I short the wires to get the fan going when I feel that it is too hot, and my radiator is not in very good shape, so it may have overheated a few times, but that should be no excuse for burning a whole liter of "finest grade off-road motor oil".
according to Occam's razor without the thermo switch your engine got simply to hot and burnt the missing oil. And it speaks for the NX250 that the engine is still running. So you should get at least a new thermo switch, it’s an universal part you can take from many Hondas eg. from the NTV650 http://www.ebay.de/itm/WATER-TEMPERA...item3cb2e3e8aa

You can save the money for the switch by using the cheapest motorcycle oil available - I never used anything else and my Nixie is still doing fine, even after 100.000km

concerning the shifting: is the gearing of the gearshift spindle still ok? If its not, a loose shift lever might lead to similar problems - I know that some guys had something like that with their NX650 - a few were solving this by welding the shift lever to the spindle - not recommended

scrambler66 screwed with this post 06-25-2012 at 04:35 AM
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:25 AM   #5330
muzcuk
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler66 View Post

concerning the shifting: is the gearing of the gearshift spindle still ok? If its not, a loose shift lever might lead to similar problems - I know that some guys had something like that with their NX650 - a few were solving this by welding the shift lever to the spindle - not recommended
Can you please explain this? Are you talking about something that can be examined without splitting the case? All shifts except for N to 2 are fine, meaning I can still actually ride the bike, it feels fine so long as I never go below 2. Even going from 2 to N is easy, just not N to 2. N to 1 and 1 to N : also fine

What could affect N to 2 but not others? I see 3 different forks in the parts fiche, are they of interest? I have a hard time visualizing how the whole thing works.

And thanks for the link on the thermostat. I will get back to that as soon as I figure out the transmission. You might be right about the heat.

Point taken on cheap oil but I still have 3 liters of the "good stuff".
Old 06-25-2012, 05:40 AM   #5331
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Can you please explain this? Are you talking about something that can be examined without splitting the case?
I think so, since I was talking about this part here

At the left end the shift lever is fixed - if the screw of the shift lever is not tightenend enough, shifting will get harder. I had that once (not at the NX250 but at the NX650), shifting into the second gear was really hard, the other gears were ok. When I tightened the screw shifting was as easy as before. But if you ride long enough with a loose lever it will ruin the gearing of the spindle.

I know of one case with a loose second gear wheel - but no Infos about the cause, sorry

scrambler66 screwed with this post 06-25-2012 at 07:18 AM
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #5332
Keisler
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler66 View Post
Hi Shafi,

great bikes - I like the red XR250. It’s a pity that there was never a XR250LC with a pimped NX250 engine (let’s say with 32 hp) - that would have been a dream bike. So I build my own, unfortunately without the 32 hp (sofar )

I doubt that the XR250 shock will fit - way to log. The stock length of the NX250 is 321mm, which is very short for a dual purpose. That’s why shocks from other bikes will not fit. The maximum length you will get into the NX is 327mm – or you will have to start grinding at the swing arm linkages, which I wouldn’t recommend. So if you would like to go offroad with your NX, a shock from Hagon, Wilbers or Workshocks is a must.
A shorter shock from a NTV650 on the other hand fits perfectly and provides still enough way of travel for an occasional gravel pad.
Concerning the fork springs, I tried a couple of them. The White Power springs are now sold under the new label of Promoto. They are ok, but still too soft for my weight (ca 80kg). So I tried Wirth springs, which I consider better than the Promoto/White Power, since they are harder.
But the best of the bunch i.m.o are the Hyperpro http://www.hyperpro-shop.de/epages/6...SP-HO02-SSA002 springs, but they are also the most expensive. They work pretty well even at higher offroad speed.The hyperpros came with 25 oil, the others with 15 oil, if I remember correctly.

By the way: all springs except of the Wirths are produced by Wilbers. The cheapest ones (Promoto) are not made in Germany but somewhere in the far East. And the Promotos are apparently just the old White Power springs under new label (White Power was funded by Wilbers). Then there is a medium priced line with the label Wilbers (which I haven’t tried out) and the premium line Hyperpro.

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_sacat...0nx250&_sop=15

Hi Scrambler66,

Thanks very much for the detailed information. Thanks to your post, I found a US distributor for the Hyperpro fork springs kit (http://www.epmperf.com/hyperpro-springs.htm) and purchased them for $159 plus $17 shipping. Not too bad.

I went ahead and purchased a SV650 gen 2 shock/spring from ebay as well $40.

On Friday, I installed a Acerbis bark buster kit and it's a good thing I did. Saturday I went on a 200 mile ride through the Tail of the Dragon, into Cherokee National Forrest, then up some big mountains fire roads, trails, off road. Coming down off a big mountain, the road was very steep and rutted. I *think* I ran out of front suspension when bouncing from one deep rut to another, the bike kicked out from under me and down I went. I hit the ground hard but the bark busters took most of the impact, and my hip took the rest. Bike landed on top of me and pinned me, still running, for a bit until I mustered up the energy to get out from under it. I have a graprefruit sized rash burn and huge welt, but otherwise OK. Just glad I didn't slide another 5 feet or I would have gone off the side of the cliff. It was really steep there.

Fortunately, the bike held up well, and nothing broke. I must have made a good cushion for it! Ha!
Keisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #5333
Keisler
n00b

KTM Engine skid plate

Hi Scrambler66,

I just spotted you have a KTM skid plate on your NX. What year and model did you find works?

I was at a KTM shop Saturday getting a radiator cap and chain, and grabbed one of the shelf and held it up to my bike. It looks like it could fit. But I would like to follow your lead since you know what works.

thanks!

Shafi
Old 06-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #5334
Keisler
n00b

Thumb Wanted: Chain slipper & guide assy

Does anyone have a decent used swingarm chain slipper assy for sale? Mine was missing when I purchased the bike. This is the white delrin plastic piece with the well nuts, and chain stay attached. The chain runs through this just before entering the rear sprocket. Please PM me. thanks
Old 06-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #5335
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keisler View Post
On Friday, I installed a Acerbis bark buster kit and it's a good thing I did. Saturday I went on a 200 mile ride through the Tail of the Dragon, into Cherokee National Forrest, then up some big mountains fire roads, trails, off road. Coming down off a big mountain, the road was very steep and rutted. I *think* I ran out of front suspension when bouncing from one deep rut to another, the bike kicked out from under me and down I went. I hit the ground hard but the bark busters took most of the impact, and my hip took the rest. Bike landed on top of me and pinned me, still running, for a bit until I mustered up the energy to get out from under it. I have a graprefruit sized rash burn and huge welt, but otherwise OK. Just glad I didn't slide another 5 feet or I would have gone off the side of the cliff. It was really steep there.
That may be the best area to ride any type of motorcyle east of the Mississippi!

Glad you are OK. First morning at a rented cabin (Tellico Plains) my brother and a friend saw me packing a small block and tackle and laughed. Two hours later they were using it.
Honda Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #5336
Pavlo
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I'm looking for nx 250 for my wife. Do you have any information about nx for sale in europe?
Pavlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #5337
fikse
All-season-rider

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlo View Post
I'm looking for nx 250 for my wife. Do you have any information about nx for sale in europe?
Europe is a rather big place... What country?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #5338
Pavlo
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikse View Post
Europe is a rather big place... What country?
Sorry that i didn't introduce myself on forum.
Welcom everyone :)

I'm Pavlo, I'm form Poland :)

On the Polish market is a few NX 250, but generally they are in poor condition. Thats why I'm looking for something in the neighborhood of Polish, with the exception of Germany or basically from Germany too. Although I checked the ads for mobile.de but maybe someone has a better proposal.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #5339
Pavlo
n00b

:)

Pavlo screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 12:15 PM
Old 06-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #5340
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by drexNX;[URL="tel:11167411"
11167411[/URL]]would it be this'n?

and heres a GSXR750 shock (on my bike now)
OK, so I kinda just punted and had jill snatch a cheap gsxr shock, just like the one pictured above. Now I stand here next to her bike, with the stock shock out, and my question is, how the phuck do you make that reservoir on the gsxr shock fit in the space?
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote