ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #5431
Spigma
User Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Spigma's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Corvalis, Or. currently on the Coos
Oddometer: 14
Talking New forks on and bike running

I ordered a new/used set of forks off ebay last week. They arrived in excellent shape but I put in new seals and changed the oil anyway. Slapped everything back together with loctite and it seems everything is in order. Rode to work and back with no problems, life is good
Spigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #5432
fikse
All-season-rider
 
fikse's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Norway, between lakes and fjords
Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambucas View Post
I am thinking about putting the bike just a tiny bit on a richer mixture, just a quarter turn or less of the mixture screw and then see how see holds up next time on some steep mountain road. I am not sure if it would make a big difference, but it is easy to try and a somewhat richer mixture doesn't do much (short-term) damage.
If the NX's carb is similar to other carbs I've been working with, and if I recall correct, the mixture screw only adjusts for the slow jet, and slow jet is working in area from idle up to 1/3 of max RPM, then the main jet is doing the job in RPM above 1/3.
My point is, that only adjusting the mixture screw, is not enough to enrichen all the RPM scale.
Of course, still it might have some effect to enrichen with only the screw, I cannot understand even a complete turn on the screw will do any damage at all.

Really hope You'll find out whats wrong :-)
__________________
Life is a just a game - lets play!
fikse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #5433
SaDoW
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Oddometer: 79
,maybe you have air traped inside

if so

it expands due to the rise of the temperature

and pushing the cooland to

a way out of the system

fill the necesary cooland

open the radiator cap

start you engine with the cap off to release the traped air

let it do 2 cycles (open fan - close fan twice) then put it back on

If more cooland is required use the white box (that says upper lower level)

DONT REOPEN THE RADIATOR
SaDoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #5434
trailKing
Adventurer
 
trailKing's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: vail valley
Oddometer: 31
OK, so I'd taken my bike on several short rides since putting in the new e bay CDI from Belgium I was bragging about and felt pretty good about the bike again. Today I went of on a bigger ride, the bike started running a little weird and I stopped to fill up with some fuel. I go to start it and no joy. The battery is just about dead and barely turns her over.

Could it be the CDI? Thanks
trailKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #5435
larry31
Back Roads Explorer
 
larry31's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailKing View Post
OK, so I'd taken my bike on several short rides since putting in the new e bay CDI from Belgium I was bragging about and felt pretty good about the bike again. Today I went of on a bigger ride, the bike started running a little weird and I stopped to fill up with some fuel. I go to start it and no joy. The battery is just about dead and barely turns her over.

Could it be the CDI? Thanks
Put a volt meter on the battery terminals. Run the bike at 2,000 rpm look for around 13 - 14 volts.
If lower than that ( like 12 volts or under ) your generating system may have a problem.
This may help... http://www.powers31.info/1988_NX250_Ign_Sys.pdf
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #5436
trailKing
Adventurer
 
trailKing's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: vail valley
Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry31 View Post
Put a volt meter on the battery terminals. Run the bike at 2,000 rpm look for around 13 - 14 volts.
If lower than that ( like 12 volts or under ) your generating system may have a problem.
This may help... http://www.powers31.info/1988_NX250_Ign_Sys.pdf
I'll Try that tomorrow. I swapped CDI's and rode 40+ miles tonight and it seems to be OK, but then again mabee its getting weak charge or something.
trailKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #5437
Sambucas
travelin.tk
 
Sambucas's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikse View Post
If the NX's carb is similar to other carbs I've been working with, and if I recall correct, the mixture screw only adjusts for the slow jet, and slow jet is working in area from idle up to 1/3 of max RPM, then the main jet is doing the job in RPM above 1/3.
My point is, that only adjusting the mixture screw, is not enough to enrichen all the RPM scale.
Of course, still it might have some effect to enrichen with only the screw, I cannot understand even a complete turn on the screw will do any damage at all.

Really hope You'll find out whats wrong :-)
Thanks, I didn't realize that! I will look into it, to see that I make adjustments for the whole RPM scale!

Cheers! :)
__________________
Crossing Africa on 2 Honda NX 250s! www.travelin.tk
Sambucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #5438
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer
 
scrambler66's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 225
Seat foam NX250

Does anyone know a source for new seat foams? A few years ago, complete foams were available from Kahedo (well known by BMW Drivers for their seats sold by Touratech) for little money. Of course, every saddler can upgrade your old foam by putting some stronger foam on it, but that’s usually three times as expensive. And by now, most old foams are pretty torn (the one in the pic is a better one) and a complete new foam would be a better solution anyway.

scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #5439
clanbree
Adventurer
 
clanbree's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: D/FW
Oddometer: 45
Enriching the mixture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambucas View Post
Thanks, I didn't realize that! I will look into it, to see that I make adjustments for the whole RPM scale!

Cheers! :)
Raising the float level by 1/32" - 1/16" (.75mm - 1.5mm) will enrich the mixture accross the board. You'll probably need to lean out the mixture screw just a bit for idle after you've adjusted the float level or it may load up at idle and foul the plug
__________________
Most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, because it usually shows up dressed in overalls, looking like work!
clanbree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #5440
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: masshole mofo
Oddometer: 224
you know those small hand held steamers? the ones they sell for 20 bucks for general household cleaning... give your foam a few steam blasts(shoot the steam into the foam, not on the foam) and it will rejuvenate it! it really works great and lasts for years to come. then you can use spray adhesive on the outside, put an inch thick layer of new foam over the top (found at any upholstery shop) recover and your better than new, for less than 15 bucks if you have access to a steamer.
bucks down and a great customized seat. also works on most any foam padding. some mattress stores also have free foam samples that you can use and carve to suit your shape with a bread knife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler66 View Post
Does anyone know a source for new seat foams? A few years ago, complete foams were available from Kahedo (well known by BMW Drivers for their seats sold by Touratech) for little money. Of course, every saddler can upgrade your old foam by putting some stronger foam on it, but that’s usually three times as expensive. And by now, most old foams are pretty torn (the one in the pic is a better one) and a complete new foam would be a better solution anyway.

PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #5441
trailKing
Adventurer
 
trailKing's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: vail valley
Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailKing View Post
OK, so I'd taken my bike on several short rides since putting in the new e bay CDI from Belgium I was bragging about and felt pretty good about the bike again. Today I went of on a bigger ride, the bike started running a little weird and I stopped to fill up with some fuel. I go to start it and no joy. The battery is just about dead and barely turns her over.

Could it be the CDI? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry31 View Post
Put a volt meter on the battery terminals. Run the bike at 2,000 rpm look for around 13 - 14 volts.
If lower than that ( like 12 volts or under ) your generating system may have a problem.
This may help... http://www.powers31.info/1988_NX250_Ign_Sys.pdf
I changed back to the old CDI and Ran the bike yesterday for 250 mi and no prob. I did the test before leaving and got 14.4v. Its gotta be the new CDI, I'll see how the guy does with returns/exchanges
trailKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #5442
larry31
Back Roads Explorer
 
larry31's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailKing View Post
I changed back to the old CDI and Ran the bike yesterday for 250 mi and no prob. I did the test before leaving and got 14.4v. Its gotta be the new CDI, I'll see how the guy does with returns/exchanges
I bought my CDI in 2009 from a Honda dealer for $235.00 It's still running good.
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:31 AM   #5443
fikse
All-season-rider
 
fikse's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Norway, between lakes and fjords
Oddometer: 88
Want to have better control over the radiator-fan?

Stumbled upon this article. A neat low-priced temp controller that can be used to several applications, also to replace the thermostatic switch on the Nixies radiator-fan. Despite it's probably not waterproof at all, it should be possible to get this to work nicely. I found it at ebay for >£17 GBP
__________________
Life is a just a game - lets play!
fikse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:35 AM   #5444
muzcuk
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler66 View Post
I think so, since I was talking about this part here


At the left end the shift lever is fixed - if the screw of the shift lever is not tightenend enough, shifting will get harder. I had that once (not at the NX250 but at the NX650), shifting into the second gear was really hard, the other gears were ok. When I tightened the screw shifting was as easy as before. But if you ride long enough with a loose lever it will ruin the gearing of the spindle.


I know of one case with a loose second gear wheel - but no Infos about the cause, sorry
Hey! Sorry for disappearing on you! Thanks for all the info.

My shift lever is bent beyond recognition, due to various previous falls, but it is tight at the end. I was told by a local mechanic that my clutch plates might be the problem. But they seemed perfect when I removed them for replacing the cam chain a while ago. That was also when I put in the fancy oil.

So my theory now is:

Thermostat shot > oil burnt > clutch plates screwed > very hard to shift from N to 2 > oil replaced > slightly easier to shift from N to 2

All within a few weeks.

So I will go for a clutch kit, a thermostat and a proper shift lever. If this is the case, I am glad that I don't have to split the case, but I don't want to throw money at a non-existent problem (clutch) neither. What do you guys think?

I am thinking anything wrong with the transmission should affect all the gears whereas I am only having trouble with N to 2, so clutch makes sense. I am not "feeling" anything wrong with it, but I don't really have any experience about that so I might have just gotten used to it. I know it looked ok when I took it out, but I know it was deprived of oil for a while afterwards.
muzcuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #5445
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 403
Bad news on my NX rebuild. The crankshaft I found has an out of round small end inside diameter. So, now I may be trying to press apart the crankshafts to make one good one. I'll keep ADV posted.
__________________
Buncha dirt bikes with license plates.
tntmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014