Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #5746
Mass Out
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mito-nx View Post
It is very simple, my battery is dead and I was wondering if a smaller one would work.
I have no dashboard Light, the indicators and rear light are LED so the starter motor is next tot the headlight the biggest electricity user.
So I would like to know how big he is.
I installed a Ballistic Performance Components 4 cell Evo2 part number 100-010 (not the Evo2 50) in my NX250. These batteries use the latest lithium ferrous phosphate (LiFePO4) battery technology. My battery weighs less than 1 pound (the stock flooded lead acid battery is going to be at least 7 pounds) and still has an 8 amp hour rating. It has worked fine for me so far. My electrical system is all stock and I don't have any accessories added to it.

You MUST treat LiFePO4 batteries properly or they will fail, however if you treat them right, they will last a long time. I intend to treat mine right.
Mass Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #5747
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Are these bikes suppose to be so undersprung? I sat on the one Im going to buy and my lawd half the rear suspension compresses.What was this thing sprung for a 10 year old
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #5748
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
disc for MD21

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarized View Post
I bought the EBC MD6001D off of ebay. The only thing is I had to bore out the four mounting holes for use with the stock NX250 bolts.
Apparently thats the wrong ebc disc for your Nixie Most ebay seller do not get it right, but the MD21 disc has 10mm holes, whereas the MD25 from 1991 onward has 6,5mm holes. The correct EBC number for the MD21 is MD6008D.
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:33 AM   #5749
wehikrosz
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
From the Honda Service Manual:

Front disc thickness: 3.3-3.7mm

I bought the EBC MD6001D off of ebay. The only thing is I had to bore out the four mounting holes for use with the stock NX250 bolts.

Thank you for the fast response, but where can i find the mentioned service manual which is good for the 1991 one, i have only got the 88-89 one.
wehikrosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #5750
polarized
Dirt Virgin

Oddometer: 23
The disc wasn't listed for the '88-'89 model how ever I did not realise there was a bolt hole size difference. It worked out in the end.

Sorry should have mentioned the service manual was for a '88.

Not sure where you can find one for other years. Disc thickness should be the same though, maybe someone else with a different year NX can verify.
polarized is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #5751
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

I pick bike up next weekend I looked into the WORX shock 489 dollars
Old 10-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #5752
RollingJ
The mud in your eye

Oddometer: 233
Yes, a 20+ year old shock and spring will be a little soft, to say the least.

Here is what I have learned.

If you can learn to ride the NX well enough to keep up with the guys on bikes with modern, fresh suspensions...

...you will be passing them quickly when you upgrade to a newer bike.

Stand up, weight the outside peg, and let the bike float underneath you. Keep your knees bent, because you WILL bottom the bike out if you jump it at all.

Now the NX is my go-to local throw-around bike. It's my first choice to go buy a 6pack. I don't take it off-road unless I feel like playing around refining skills, riding with new dirt riders, or putting my 13-year-old to the test.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #5753
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:

Sorry should have mentioned the service manual was for a '88.

Not sure where you can find one for other years. Disc thickness should be the same though, maybe someone else with a different year NX can verify.

To my best knowledge, there was only a 1988-1990 service manual. I’ve never seen one for the later models. The brake disc of the MD21 is a bit thinner (3mm) as the one from the MD25 (3,5mm).
scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #5754
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Some where I read these bikes have cam chain tensioner problems.Do I replace it with a brand new one or is it modifiable?What do I have to look out for on the nx?
Old 10-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #5755
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
Some where I read these bikes have cam chain tensioner problems.Do I replace it with a brand new one or is it modifiable?What do I have to look out for on the nx?

Message 5696 is how to either make one or my site where you can contact me and order one for $30.00 plus shipping (only the actual USPS flat rate cost makes it $35.35 in the US, $42.95 for Canada/Mexico, and $46.95 for the rest of the world) if you don't have the equipment, skill, materials, time, or desire to do the work to make it. I've sold roughly 1000 tensioners over the past three years world wide.

Here's a shot of one:

That is one in a KLX650, the first one I made in my bike three years ago. The kit shown is the latest set up. The part has an O-ring seal to stop oil seepage through the threads. Gasket and new fasteners comes with the part too. I made it to suit what I wanted and worked up a good way to make them for a low price.

I hate to see bikes damaged by junk parts, especially when they're mine. I went through two OEM tensioners on that 95 KLX, the second one finished off the cam chains (2 on the bike) due to the thrashing about. I was told "all Kawasaki engines are noisy." I no longer buy that line. When I got a Zephyr 550 it made cam drive noise and I got the same line about it, but I knew that was crap. That bike started me making and selling them when a bunch of Zephyr and KLX guys asked for one. A noisy cam drive is one with a shot tensioner. A manual tensioner is easy to live with and doesn't require adjustment as often as valves need checked. Besides you can hear light ticking if it is getting a bit loose.

So if anyone wants to buy instead of make, I have the part for a fair price and a good reputation. Google it and see what is said.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550

markk53 screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 02:35 PM
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #5756
177in70s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Where Yesterday? Trail Ride RORR PA

Took my modified NX250 to the Reading(PA) Off Road Riders Pine Grove Dual Sport Ride. 80 miles, mostly trails, took three "C" options, 55 degrees F, some sprinkles. Liked the 17" rr. knobby, the 46 rear gear, the 70/100-19 ft. knobby, the MSR all metal footpegs, the homemade metal skid plate etc. The SV650 shock gives more ground clearance but still bottoms out a lot under my 215 lbs.

Had one problem, mid morning had trouble engaging the starter and headlight wouldn't come on with key, after some fiddling it started. At lunch it would not start or push start, the headlight had been blinking opposite the turn signal before shutting it off. After thinking I was done for the day, I got the car jumper cables out and when I took off the NX seat realized the positive battery post screw had jiggled totally loose but still there under red rubber cover. Tightened the screw and was good to go for the afternoon portion. 2 hrs. each way on hitch carrier without incident.

Great Event. Looking forward to the two day "Ride in the Pines (NJ)' by the meteormc.com later in Oct.

177in70s screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 06:31 PM Reason: added hitch carrier success mention
177in70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:46 AM   #5757
Orkodelamuerte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Uffff.. I'm frustrated...

I was having a lot of noise coming from what I though was the cam chain... After inspecting, it was perfect, tensioner ok, guide too, even the chain is in good shape and oily.. so I inspected the valves and there was my problem... valves were good, but clearance was at 0.025mm.. almost double... Now I can see why sometimes when engine was really hot, it'll fail at low speed. I could notice that the valve spring retainer was worn out a little... any experience on that???

Does anybody know which bike may use those same parts...?

Orkodelamuerte screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 06:41 AM
Orkodelamuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #5758
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

I'D LOVE to mount a set of those white mags the ax 2 has
Old 10-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #5759
RollingJ
The mud in your eye

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkodelamuerte View Post
Uffff.. I'm frustrated...

I was having a lot of noise coming from what I though was the cam chain... After inspecting, it was perfect, tensioner ok, guide too, even the chain is in good shape and oily.. so I inspected the valves and there was my problem... valves were good, but clearance was at 0.025mm.. almost double... Now I can see why sometimes when engine was really hot, it'll fail at low speed. I could notice that the valve spring retainer was worn out a little... any experience on that???

Does anybody know which bike may use those same parts...?
It sounds like it's time to pull the head and do a proper valve job before something goes BOOM.

The OEM parts houses have all the valvetrain components still available, but I don't know what bike crosses over.

I would buy a new head gasket, new retainers, and new keepers at a minimum. There's lots of parts that can go wrong in the head.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #5760
thirstybuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by 177in70s View Post
...when I took off the NX seat realized the positive battery post screw had jiggled totally loose but still there under red rubber cover. Tightened the screw and was good to go for the afternoon portion. 2 hrs. each way on hitch carrier without incident...
I've been going through every connection I had on my NX for the past two weeks until I realized that the positive terminal was loose.
thirstybuck is offline   Reply With Quote