Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #6061
micahshaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtstar1 View Post
Just out of curiosity how much? I did see those parts on alibaba but it looked like a minimum order to get good pricing.
what you see-425 delivered
micahshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #6062
Orkodelamuerte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
NX 250 Type

How can I tell what bike I have?

I mean, the GII Type, F type, etc...

Because Im about to buy new main jet; and the GII type has 145, the F has 142 and there is another one that has 138... All I know is that the one I have right now is not OEM coz its 135
Orkodelamuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #6063
scrambler66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkodelamuerte View Post
How can I tell what bike I have?

I mean, the GII Type, F type, etc...

Because Im about to buy new main jet; and the GII type has 145, the F has 142 and there is another one that has 138... All I know is that the one I have right now is not OEM coz its 135
Just take a look in the official honda parts catalogue

scrambler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #6064
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 670
So, lately my bike seems to have been overheating.

In December, I had a hone, new Honda starter clutch parts and new valves, oil seals, shims and gaskets done.

In January I noticed it running a bit hot, but put it down to the warmer temps - as the bike still ran just fine and the coolant and oil were fine.

When it was still doing so late in January and was a small bit low on coolant, we noticed the rad cap was bubbling out coolant through microscopic holes, so replaced that.

At the start of February, while driving to work it "came" all over my left leg and covered me with coolant.

I found a small hole in the expansion tank and fixed that, but it now still spews coolant - looks like a lot - but never takes more that 80-90ml to fill it back up.

The waterpump is fine, no coolant in the oil too and no vapor in the exhaust either.

So, I'm a bit baffled.

I don't know why the bike is running so hot. One theory my mechanic has is that the new head gasket has a leak that is allowing exhaust gases into the cooling system and boiling the coolant and over pressurising it.

Tomorrow, I will dis-assemble the cooling system and inspect everything.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or have dealt with this in the past?

Help please!

J

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #6065
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Was system bled properly of Air in the system?When you had head off did you take a piece off plate glass,put head on it and see if it was warped by sliding a feeler gauge under it and around each side etc?Maybe it was wrong gasket,installed wrong and its closed off coolant flo holes or blocking them.Not saying this is the case or ya did the work wrong but it seems its always something either very simple and trivial or stupid and often overlooked that trips us up.I think it could happen to the best mechanics too.goodluck and keep us informed how ya made out.
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #6066
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Was system bled properly of Air in the system?When you had head off did you take a piece off plate glass,put head on it and see if it was warped by sliding a feeler gauge under it and around each side etc?Maybe it was wrong gasket,installed wrong and its closed off coolant flo holes or blocking them.Not saying this is the case or ya did the work wrong but it seems its always something either very simple and trivial or stupid and often overlooked that trips us up.I think it could happen to the best mechanics too.goodluck and keep us informed how ya made out.
Yup, bled of air.

The head is not warped.

Proper gasket, believed to have been installed properly, though it's possible a mistake could have been made.

It may be one of the tiny things. Today I noticed two things 1. the coolant bottle had too much coolant in it, so I remedied that. 2. There was a loose jubilee clip on one upper rad hose and I will change that tomorrow as I believe it is probably sucking in air there.

Hopefully. It didn't boil as much as before after I fixed the expansion bottle and the bike didn't feel hot, plus it ran smoother and I also changed the oil which was clean when it came out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

J
Old 02-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #6067
Orkodelamuerte
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
Yup, bled of air.

The head is not warped.

Proper gasket, believed to have been installed properly, though it's possible a mistake could have been made.

It may be one of the tiny things. Today I noticed two things 1. the coolant bottle had too much coolant in it, so I remedied that. 2. There was a loose jubilee clip on one upper rad hose and I will change that tomorrow as I believe it is probably sucking in air there.

Hopefully. It didn't boil as much as before after I fixed the expansion bottle and the bike didn't feel hot, plus it ran smoother and I also changed the oil which was clean when it came out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

J
I`ll tell you what my experience with that was...
My engine was very prone to heat up.. (more than usual) what I did is to change the sparkplug for a cooler one, so it will dissipate heat better.. Went from this one NGK CPR8EA-9 to this one NGK CR9EH9.

Moreover, the coolant reserve tank had more liquid than it should, and that was because there was an air infiltration somewhere between the radiator and the reserve tank.. so First I installed clamps on the hooses, and later I discovered that the bottle was wet (punctured), so I replaced it; and trouble fixed...

The magic is that when the water heats, it expands and does not fit in the radiator, so some of it goes to the reserve tank... but when radiator cools down a bit, it demands that water back, but if there is an improper air intake in the system, it will suck air instead of the water in the reserve tank..
Old 02-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #6068
HondaNx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Nx250

I got the NX 250 up to 80mph and then it shut off.

I still cant figure out why it just turns off on me when i am driving it normally. I don't know if its electrical or the spark plug.
HondaNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #6069
MadDoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
I may have an extra pump, but don't want to pull one off the running engine. The seals I wouldn't reuse. I'll see what I have.
Thanks mate - much appreciated. Looking forward to hearing from you.
MadDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:14 AM   #6070
MadDoc
Adventurer

Cry The mighty water pump - HEEELP!

Hi, is any of you guys aware that the water pump schematics do not include the shaft?
I have opened mine to fix the mechanical seal leak that let water through and now can't find it anywhere. In fact cos I don't have the part number I don't know how to search (attaching the pic). Your help will be much appreciated - my lovely 88 AX-1 has been lying in the garage for more than a month now!

Cheers from New Zealand

Old 02-10-2013, 07:08 AM   #6071
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

Oddometer: 510
Here's the shop manual info:

I hope that this helps
jsonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #6072
MadDoc
Adventurer

Hey thanks a heaps - and it does look like a very clear scan of the manual.
However it still does not give the part number of the shaft itself - the shaft mentioned on the page is for the tool and not the water pump shaft. Hey a friend of mine just reminded that that is part of the Right Crankcase Cover actually (but still without an individual part number). So I'm considering to order one, Any thoughts?
Old 02-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #6073
Orkodelamuerte
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDoc View Post
Hi, is any of you guys aware that the water pump schematics do not include the shaft?
I have opened mine to fix the mechanical seal leak that let water through and now can't find it anywhere. In fact cos I don't have the part number I don't know how to search (attaching the pic). Your help will be much appreciated - my lovely 88 AX-1 has been lying in the garage for more than a month now!

Cheers from New Zealand

for all I know, if you are having a leak there, you only have to replace the seals for that, not the whole part... These are the seals:

19217-PA5-003 SEAL, MECHANICAL

good luck there
Old 02-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #6074
Orkodelamuerte
Adventurer

hum... I guess what u are saying is that u lost the whole shaft, is that right? Let me check on other manuals for similar bikes to see what I can get..
Old 02-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #6075
MadDoc
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkodelamuerte View Post
hum... I guess what u are saying is that u lost the whole shaft, is that right? Let me check on other manuals for similar bikes to see what I can get..
Yeah the bearings were damaged inside so I had to take the whole thing out. I was just reminded that the shaft itself is actually part of the Right Crankcase Cover - which is expensive but easy to source. I'm quite surprised they don't sell this separately as it can be separated. In almost all other bikes this is a separate part.

So I guess best option would be to find a used crankcase cover and extract this bit plus buy the mechanical seal.
Anybody has it?

Many many thanks in advance :)