Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #31
dungspreader
King of the Heap

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace

"even a moron can fix it up in a matter of minutes " !
You gotta love that early sixties attitude .
Old 02-20-2010, 07:13 AM   #32
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie
I looked at the camping "pod" idea and decided against for the reasons below. Would anyone care to comment on:

1. How do you deal with slopes? The logical back in/ride out approach means having your feet above your head, or your head in the nose of the pod which makes it the wrong shape. (Assuming no reverse gear).
Use pull thru camp sites. Most camp grounds (in US at least) have pull thru sites. orr.. disconnect and man handle it into desired position. Should not be that difficult.

Quote:
3. My Kyham tent goes up in about five minutes. Don't all these campers take just as long to get up but contain complex and heavy hinges and joints?
but the sides don't sweat when it rains, you feel less exposed to elements etc.
Coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #33
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgeo
Use pull thru camp sites. Most camp grounds (in US at least) have pull thru sites. orr.. disconnect and man handle it into desired position. Should not be that difficult.

...you're talkin' trailer, right? But the original direction of the thread was looking at sleeper hacks.
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #34
BMWzenrider
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,089
Hardsided Sidecar Camper

Actually, I have been playing around with the idea of a rigid/hardsided camper body on a sidecar frame for traveling...

There are several disadvantages that I see with the "pop-up" style of campers.
- One is the fact that if you need to break camp when it is raining, or even in the very early morning when it is wet with dew, you are closing the wet canvas inside with all of your dry bedding/clothes/etc...
- Ease of making/breaking camp. Just pull in and take off your riding gear and you are set for the night if you wish. Nothing to unfold, nothing to stake out, no rain flys... Sure, you can get more fancy with a fly/awning and other stuff if you want. But you don't have to if you are just stopping for the night.
- Another is being able to do roadside/rest-area camping easily and inconspicuously. A tent camper set up in a parking space is rather obvious. and leads to the next issue.
- Security. It may be just as easy for someone to kick in a window/screen on a hard-shell camper in theory. But in practice it does make you a bit less easy to get to than only having a zipper and some thin cloth between you and the outside world. Bad guys see something with solid sides and will move on to the easier pickings with no locks to break through. Bad guys are lazy in general... Otherwise they would get a job!

-----

As far as style of what I might build, I was thinking of the classic teardrop camper body.

For aerodynamics the streamlined teardrop shape is about as good as it gets, and it provides plenty of room for sleeping, sitting up inside, and a area for cargo accessible from both inside and out.

-----

The Hannigan-LT lists an interior hip room of 32", an overall length of 91" and a body height of 44-6=~38".

If I just build something to fit the existing frame (body swap for trips) I could easily fit a 30"x80" mattress inside, which is half the width and the same length as a queen bed. There have been many a night that I have slept quite comfortably in less than half the width of a queen bed, what with her and her two cats sharing...
I should be able to sleep comfortably on a bed that wide... And have a body tall enough to sit up in for using the laptop, reading, or changing clothes on cold or wet days...

-----

Anyway, that is the current idea that is running around in my head...
That, or mount that kind of camper body on a R1150/1200GS with a Mobec style 2wd system!
2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.
BMWzenrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #35
BMWzenrider
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,089
Car Top Tents

If you are looking for a easy way to do a soft sided sidecar camper, you should also try to see what is available that can be easily added to the top of a cargo box sidecar body.

There are several companies that make "Car Top Tents".
They just strap to the roof of a car/suv and fold out to become a tent off the ground in minutes.

All the design work is already done for you, and many people mount them on top of cargo trailers already. It would be easy to adapt one to a sidecar.

This company sells some completed units and offers one that comes in "kit" form which may make them less expensive than the competition.
You have to supply your own boards for the bed sections and assemble it yourself...
http://www.compactcampingconcepts.com/tentunits.htm

-----

Autohome makes a range of models, but are quite a bit more pricey.
Nice thing on two of their models is the hard shell that everything packs down into. IMHO...
Chatted with a gal at the Great Chicken Rally last spring who had one on top of her SUV, and she really liked it.

They also claim to have been building these types of things for 50 years and come with a 5-year warranty.
http://www.autohomeus.com/index.php

-----
{If you found a large enough rooftop clamshell storage pod, you could have a canvas shop make up some sides like the above unit for you pretty easily I would bet. Add a couple of strong gas shocks or locking lever arms to hold it open for you, and you are done...}
-----

Try doing an internet search with your favorite engine on the term: "Rooftop tent", or "Rooftop Camper" to see all the info available.

HTH!
2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.
BMWzenrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:48 AM   #36
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
I don't know anything about this unit except for the photo:
Old 04-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #37
planzman
commie bike rider

Oddometer: 663
to large but can be rescaled for your needs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGULh...eature=related

make the bed go north south instead of east west.

link to discussion on Tiny trailers and teardrops

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/vie...8341df77dc4f89
planzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #38
blkvelvt
Commuter Warrior

Oddometer: 136
Just pull one of these.
http://www.leesurelite.com/photogallery.asp

Hmmmmmmm............
blkvelvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #39
nxdirtbag
Commuter Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
This thing is sweet, but I don't think I would want to ride it very far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelandestrasse
I don't know anything about this unit except for the photo:
My friend Pilo's adventure book
nxdirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #40
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,168
Plastic Wheelbarrow?

Been thinking a plastic wheelbarrow,tub only, black heavy duty type, could be used as the basis of a foldout type camper.

Reverse for lid (or use two together for clamshell arrangement)....with something like the Flatcoot from Bandicoot trailers (OZ)(Floor area 1200 x 800).Was thinking sliding double floor to give required length.
Use maybe OZ tent or similar rooftoop tent on base.

Also thought about concertina type vinyl hose/vent tube,pull out from side of trailer to make a sleeping tunnel.
Obviously any trailer need to expand its footprint when set up in order to have adequate living/sleeping area.
Any box/es need to hinge outward (over wheels) to leave useable floor space (maybe run supports between for bed)

Oz Nutter screwed with this post 04-16-2010 at 05:04 PM
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #41
soigomoto
Be kind to our mother!

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgeo

Sorry but I can't help but wonder -If the point is to be, "less exposed to the elements" then why not stay home, drive a cage...?

'64 BMW R60/2 -Dover White
'05 BMW R1200GS -Rock Red
'08 URAL Gear-Up -Forest Camo
soigomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #42
soigomoto
Be kind to our mother!

Oddometer: 77
Btw

Forgot to say, dont' get me wrong, some of those outfits are way cool!

'64 BMW R60/2 -Dover White
'05 BMW R1200GS -Rock Red
'08 URAL Gear-Up -Forest Camo
soigomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:07 AM   #43
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Nutter
Been thinking a plastic wheelbarrow,tub only, black heavy duty type, could be used as the basis of a foldout type camper.

Reverse for lid (or use two together for clamshell arrangement)....with something like the Flatcoot from Bandicoot trailers (OZ)(Floor area 1200 x 800).Was thinking sliding double floor to give required length.

. . .
A bit like THIS?

The MkI version of my trailer. Piano hinge at the front. Idea was to have a 600mm foldout floor extension at the back with fold-out supports, or legs. With the shell at 45; lightweight canvas deploys to rear with standup height at end.

I've since changed the trailer to its MkII configuration, but a variation of the -above- shell with opening canvas could still be a swap-over option. The shell would require a 140mm high lower sideboard addition (above the mudguards) as the trailer frame is presently 16mm narrower.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #44
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,181
This might work as a "sleeper".....good practice for the future......

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #45
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egads1 View Post
Try and try again.
This looks familiar: