Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #241
Hercules
"Proudly Philippine Made"

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSERO
I want to go with you guys when you go on your adventures. I hope that our schedules can match up soon.
Well you have to fix your schedule ASAP.
Summer has officaally started, i can feel it with the temp.
THE HEAT IS ON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fustercluck
I need to ride with you guys soon there!
Come on my friend.... we are waiting for ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsblue
@herc: you're lucky you still have a job. that's my secret.... i'm unemployed (til after the elections that is).

Cool, looking forward to the next trip before you get employed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamyld
gsblue, herc... and others, want to join your ride and adventure.

Well last Saturday we did a shorty trip to Tagaytay and Alfonso, Cavite to meet up with Chris, the American guy with another KLR650. Me and my 8 year old daughter had a great time there.

However, my insides tells me that I needed to do a dual purpose riding trip so the next day (Sunday) me and my daughter hopped on the bike at 6am. We did a Solo - tandem dual purose trip to Infanta passing thru the Marikina - Infanta Highway.

Sorry but my las digicam died on my and I didn't have any cam to use, when i get a new or used one, I will be able to show the adventures I am doing....

See you all soon on the next ride!!!

Hercules screwed with this post 03-14-2010 at 07:23 PM
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:20 AM   #242
gsblue
i'm undertall...

Oddometer: 168
Finished with the laundry....

Here are some more photos (courtesy of Sid Campos):
Those clouds over there look like crispy pata and kare-kare...

Crossing the river...

Then swimming in it...

I need a bath and a labandera...

Wow a working bridge! Let's cherish the moment...
gsblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #243
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
more pics please.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #244
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,307
I know yesterday afternoon all of you were at your radios or TV's tuned in to Dallas.

And Manny does it one more time. Good for him...
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #245
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Can anyone tell me what GPS maps of the Philippines, are available?

Would be using a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx.

Thanks (Salamat) in advance for any information.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #246
Fustercluck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP?

Check out this thread for link to free maps that are Garmin compatible. They have always worked well for me when I am there.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249590
1993 Ducati 888/SPO
Fustercluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #247
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Thank you, Looks like that is what I need. I will be back to the PI in May, and want to do some riding.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #248
NorthernStar
Work in Progress

Oddometer: 243
Just wanted to say HI

Greetings to all you riders in the PI, I have been droping by once in a while to read about your excellent escapades in our beautiful islands.

A bit of introduction - I was born and raised in Manila, Pasig in particular; and have ridden all sorts of bikes while growing up. I started out in he early 70's with a Honda P-50 for those that can remember -this is similar to the moped of today bicycle pedals and all. Moved up to a ST 90 and learned how to ride dirt the hard way by falling into a deeeeep canal. Survided that and started to ride more dirt with a Yamaha DT 250F. I remember we used to go to Bosboso (Antipolo) when it was still a foot trail and getting stuck in mud so deep we had to have a carabao pull two of the bikes out of the mud pool.(mud was so much fun)

Progressed to riding motocross (250MX and 125RM) in Fort Bonifacio; Angeles city, Loag and Ilocos. Broke a few bones and lost a couple of teeth during the seasons -but we had such so much fun and were still young so we healed pretty fast.

Tried road touring with a CB 450 and 750 and that too was blast -tried the Z1 for a while but way too fast for me. It seemed that I enjoyed sliding around the dirt more than dodging jeepneys and tricycles.

This all took place in the early 70s to the early 80's; then I had a family and priorities changed. Had to act civilized, drive a cage (safer they say) run a business, join the lions club and jaycees, buy a house and raise a family. This all happened during times wen the local economy was not in te best of shape and making a living was pretty tough - had an opportunity to move to the USA and start all over.

Fast Forward - ended up in Alaska and have been here since '92 and had to do it all over again, had to act civilized, drive a cage, run a business, join the lions club and the jaycees, buy a house and raise a family. BUT this time I was able to afford to buy bikes again. I presently ride a BMW 1150GSA for long trips down the lower 48 usually on back country and gravel roads. On shorter trips I use a BMW 650 Dakar to get to places the heavier GSA just would not be to much fun in (specially for an old fart like me). For serious trail riding (similar to what you guys do out ther in the PI) I go with the Yamaha WR450F.

Now here is the reasonI finally have come out of the closet and introduced myself - I am going back to Manila in May of this year for about a month to visit my father and a few friends. I will have a bunch of time on my hands and would like to ride out there, so here are my questions ( I 'm sure they have been ask before)

1) Is it better to ship one of my bikes to the PI What are the taxes, shipping, customs and other hassle that I will encounter?
2) Will it be better to buy one locally
3) What bikes are availble locally -new & used
4) WHat are the current prices for both new & used
5) Anything over 250 cc is probably still cool for this old body to handle

Any and all advice is certainly welcome and hoping to see some of you guys along the trail.

Thanks
Frank
Old 03-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #249
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernStar
Greetings to all you riders in the PI, I have been droping by once in a while to read about your excellent escapades in our beautiful islands.

A bit of introduction - I was born and raised in Manila, Pasig in particular; and have ridden all sorts of bikes while growing up. I started out in he early 70's with a Honda P-50 for those that can remember -this is similar to the moped of today bicycle pedals and all. Moved up to a ST 90 and learned how to ride dirt the hard way by falling into a deeeeep canal. Survided that and started to ride more dirt with a Yamaha DT 250F. I remember we used to go to Bosboso (Antipolo) when it was still a foot trail and getting stuck in mud so deep we had to have a carabao pull two of the bikes out of the mud pool.(mud was so much fun)

Progressed to riding motocross (250MX and 125RM) in Fort Bonifacio; Angeles city, Loag and Ilocos. Broke a few bones and lost a couple of teeth during the seasons -but we had such so much fun and were still young so we healed pretty fast.

Tried road touring with a CB 450 and 750 and that too was blast -tried the Z1 for a while but way too fast for me. It seemed that I enjoyed sliding around the dirt more than dodging jeepneys and tricycles.

This all took place in the early 70s to the early 80's; then I had a family and priorities changed. Had to act civilized, drive a cage (safer they say) run a business, join the lions club and jaycees, buy a house and raise a family. This all happened during times wen the local economy was not in te best of shape and making a living was pretty tough - had an opportunity to move to the USA and start all over.

Fast Forward - ended up in Alaska and have been here since '92 and had to do it all over again, had to act civilized, drive a cage, run a business, join the lions club and the jaycees, buy a house and raise a family. BUT this time I was able to afford to buy bikes again. I presently ride a BMW 1150GSA for long trips down the lower 48 usually on back country and gravel roads. On shorter trips I use a BMW 650 Dakar to get to places the heavier GSA just would not be to much fun in (specially for an old fart like me). For serious trail riding (similar to what you guys do out ther in the PI) I go with the Yamaha WR450F.

Now here is the reasonI finally have come out of the closet and introduced myself - I am going back to Manila in May of this year for about a month to visit my father and a few friends. I will have a bunch of time on my hands and would like to ride out there, so here are my questions ( I 'm sure they have been ask before)

1) Is it better to ship one of my bikes to the PI What are the taxes, shipping, customs and other hassle that I will encounter?

Any and all advice is certainly welcome and hoping to see some of you guys along the trail.

Thanks
Frank

hey frank, good to hear you're back on the saddle again. like you, it has been my plan to bring over a bike to the phil. my bro is a honda dealer in calamba. his advise is buy one in manila and sell it before you leave. for balikbayans like me, bringing one is a tough process and surely expensive. honda and yamaha have 200 cc dual sport bikes, but bigger bikes can be imported, it's just a matter how much i want to spend.

herc and gsblue i'm sure have more insight than me. i'll be interested to hear what they say as well.....

good luck and look me up if ever you're in los angeles.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:12 AM   #250
NorthernStar
Work in Progress

h8chain,
Thanks for the heads up on the local buy and sell later - often thought about that route and looks like the way to go - I will wait to hear from the other folks to confirm and get a bit more info. Might hit you up on the Honda contact.
Will certainly give you a shout when I'm in your area. Likewise if you are around this Frozen Northern state of Alaska (Fairbanks) - please give me a holler - will gladly show you the riding areas and sights - got spares if you fly up just bring your head gear, have everything else.
Frank
Old 03-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #251
gsblue
i'm undertall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP?

Visit www.roadguide.ph.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #252
gsblue
i'm undertall...

Quote:

Thanks
Frank
Hi Frank, thanks for the intro.

Joel's right, if you're not staying long, forget about bringing in a bike. If you do you'd probably spend your whole stay in the country visiting your broker and the bureau of customs, oh and the land transportation office as well.

Buy a bike here, or rent one. XR200 for the trail is ok. There is a KTM and BMW dealer and they carry most of the current models. Price is errr.... about 20-50% more expensive than in the US if I'm not mistaken. There are a few stores that sells new and used bigger duallies from Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha. If you have a specific model in mind, let us know I'm sure we can give the stores a call.

Now if you want to plan a ride, let me know what you have in mind (no. of days, terrain, points of interest, etc) and maybe I can help out.

Teng
Old 03-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #253
NorthernStar
Work in Progress

Teng,
Thanks for the info - as for the bike - I think a 200cc is more than adequate for any terrain that will be encountered - and besides increase in cc usually means increase in weight as well - my chicken legs can bearly carry me as it is.
Did not know you could rent bikes out there - what is usally involved and what are the requirements - insurance, deposit, terms, rates, etc..
Great corresonding with you guys and looking forward to getting to know you forlks face to face.
Frank
Old 03-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #254
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Fustercluck and gsblue, thank you for the heads up on the Road Guide, Philippines site. I went there and looked at it, man, it looks as if they have put together a great thing. I have yet to register as I will be getting a new computer in a few days and will wait until I get that and do it all at once.

The way the site works, it will probably make me get out to new areas more to be able to give back and get locked in sooner. Hope I am up to getting the job done. Teaching an old dog new tricks is never easy.

Thanks again for your help, I plan to be back in May.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #255
gsblue
i'm undertall...

Quote:
Teng,
Thanks for the info - as for the bike - I think a 200cc is more than adequate for any terrain that will be encountered - and besides increase in cc usually means increase in weight as well - my chicken legs can bearly carry me as it is.
Did not know you could rent bikes out there - what is usally involved and what are the requirements - insurance, deposit, terms, rates, etc..
Great corresonding with you guys and looking forward to getting to know you forlks face to face.
Frank
Renting an XR200 usually requires a small deposit and if I'm not mistaken, leaving your passport with them (or a copy). I assume you're a US passport holder....the better. They don't trust us locals. Insurance is.... you break it, you pay for it. Rates are anywhere from US$10-20/day.