Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #16
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopewellz
Im pretty sure NZ gets the traditional 4speed with the high/low transfer case and subtransmisson. It is sold as an agricultural bike. Identical to the last 1986 model sold in the US, but with 12v lighting.

http://www.honda-motorcycles.co.nz/b...elID=126&type= - you can clearly see the sub-transmission

The postie of AU of course lacks the sub-transmission, and also is slightly tweaked with a different speedometer placement and crash bars.
I own a Postie bike - yep they forego the dual range and do have a high mount speedo (so they can be read above the front mount mail sacks), crash bars, and a turn signal buzzer. Mine's a 2002 with 30k kms on it and is in absolutely spotless condition - cost me $500 3 years ago.

We can also buy the dual speed bikes too, they sell for around $3,000 brand new (actually $2k on special at present to compete with the Sachs Madass).

Garry from Oz.
farqhuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:48 AM   #17
DarinB
Fish Hunter Esq.

Oddometer: 355
Your Trail 110 rocks. I'd love to have one. The ATC 110 I used to have had the same high/low range on it and it was fun to see how well I could climb with it.
DarinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #18
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar
We can also buy the dual speed bikes too, they sell for around $3,000 brand new (actually $2k on special at present to compete with the Sachs Madass).
If the U. S. market could get them and sell for a couple of grand I'd believe they'd sell like crazy especially with gas going to record highs. Hey, we can dream, right?

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:41 AM   #19
FahrtMeister
Gnarled Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Nice bike, I have one too. Australia Post auctions them every year, once theyve doen about 20,000 k's. Our version is a special, made for AP. Heavy duty rims and shox, comfy seat etc, but no dual range.
Last year I crossed the Nullarbor plain on one, with a group of 30 guys. Busted my collarbone in the process but finished the ride. 3000k's of mostly dirt riding in 9 days. Lot of fun.
Down here we have many 'postie bike' events. I am doing another one in October, in Tasmania.
Dont let anyone tell you these arent a serious bike. They are awesome.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:02 AM   #20
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

They aren't CT-90/110's but Passports are cheap and available in the U. S. and have the potential to accept any of the new Chinese 125-150cc motors available for the pit bike market. From my own experience these motors are pretty much stone reliable--the Chinese have done a good job with them--and one of these in a Passport chassis could be the potential for a pretty cool little bike.

Right now a lady on eBay is selling off her remaining Passport parts stash and she has three chassis' she's selling with a starting price of $9.99. She says they're going to the recycler if no one buys them so a deal is there to be had. She's in Oregon for reference so put in "C70" as your eBay search key word. A lot of new and used parts are available there and the collectors haven't found favor with these like the CT-90/110's have so the parts go cheap.

Anyone have a clue if the later hydraulic fork from the CT's will fit the Passport? The steering head on mine is about 7 1/8" long for reference. I'd like to add a CT-90 or 110 front end to my Passport "no-ped" project if it'll bolt up. I'd really like to add one of these front ends if they do and eventually a tubular swing arm and better shocks from a D/P bike.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #21
Dasadab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
I would love to find a newish CT110. In looking around, I came across this ad in Craigslist:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/633060538.html

I did not realize that they could be imported and registered in California. Smog issues, etc?
Dasadab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #22
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasadab
I did not realize that they could be imported and registered in California. Smog issues, etc?
I can assure you these are NOT letter-of-the-law legal. This fact aside could they be registered in other states? Possibly. If I were to buy one and take it to the license branch the nice lady there would tell me that it's not on the excise tax list for '07 and that might open a can of worms.

It's a damn shame that the laws have restricted entrepreneurs from legally bringing in vehicles for resale here that the market wants and needs.

One solution might be to buy a US-titled junker or frame and rebuild the new bike on it. I'm looking for a titled frame as I write this just for this purpose.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #23
anomad
in storage

Oddometer: 1,657
Great thread, I really love these little bikes. I wonder why 4 wheelers are so insanely popular here in the states but ag bikes are non-existent.
anomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:20 PM   #24
klm4755 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomad
Great thread, I really love these little bikes. I wonder why 4 wheelers are so insanely popular here in the states but ag bikes are non-existent.
ag bikes = farm bikes?
Keithm
klm4755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:47 AM   #25
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,996
My 71 CT90 was my first bike 6 years ago and I still have it. I spent a lot of time on the Yahoo groups and it is a very good source. As others have said DRATV is the best source for parts on these bikes....ebay can be good. The power difference between a 110 and a 90 is marginal. I seem to remember that the CT110 had more bore and the 90 has more stroke. so...some people put the 110 pistons in the 90's for the best of both worlds. I need to have my cylinder cleaned up and redo the rings as it smokes like mad and is down on power....its very tempting to do one of the Lifan 125cc engine conversions and start commuting on the bike again. I also swapped the front fork with one from a 79 CB125. The 125 fork has internal springs and it works with the CT90 wheel. The 125 fork can also be used with the 125 disc brake setup.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:32 PM   #26
seven4eight
rat-bike connoisseur

Oddometer: 44
next project

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=100_1739.jpg
http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=100_1738.jpg

1600 miles on the clock....can't wait to get this rolling. Already got the NOS frame cover, seat, etc......sadly no hi/lo range. Working at a dealer has its perks..
seven4eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #27
oppozit
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Both the four speed and dual range are sold in Australia. The four speed is ADRed and can be registered, the dual range is sold as an ag/farm bike and cannot be registered. Australia Post buys so many of them that they are excluded from sales data to give the other manufacturers a chance of being market leader sometime. Some of the older dual range CT110s had ADR compliance so always check for a compliance plate if you intend to register it.

On the subject of Chinese replacement motors, be aware that some are based on the Kawasaki KX110 and have different engine bolt placement. Not a big deal if you've got the right workshop, but not a bolt-in swap.

Starting to see some nice conversions with pit-bike USD front ends and disc brakes etc. Pretty amazing to think that the C series started out as a 50 cc pushrod engine and is now available as a 150 OHC and you can buy 110 DOHC kits for them.
oppozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:16 PM   #28
klm4755 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
These are great bikes

Keithm
klm4755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:45 PM   #29
starsvw
dreaming the dream.....

Oddometer: 64
damn those are nice! I learned to ride my moms street 90, ran it into the ground and it kept going! Great to see you keeping it alive!
starsvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #30
Toadady
Push'n parts

Oddometer: 3,599
I had a ct110 for about 6 months last year. bought it for $20. put in rings,and a set of valves,new chinese carb, got it going, but just didn't care for it, ran ok, just didn't trip my trigger like i thought it would, so i sold it for $300.

now i've got the neighbors ct90 K0 and a other ct90 to work on. seems word gets around quick if you can work on one.