User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
calco88 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
KTM 690 Electrical Issue

Running into a pretty nasty issue right now on my 08 KTM 690 SMC. I've done some searching and found a few similar issues, but no common solution. I want to follow through on this thread so anyone else who finds it can hopefully go straight to the solution.

The issue: I will be riding to work, usually on the freeway cruising around 70-80mph, and the bike will surge and accelerate for a split second without any change from me to the throttle. The EFI system then seems to kick into limp-home mode and the exhaust starts popping, and I can not accelerate without the motor/exhaust sounding like death, and the FI light starts flashing or turns on solid.

A quick flip of the power switch resets everything and I can keep the bike going and pop the clutch to start it back up before I stop.

Today I hooked up the bike to TuneECU and read the fault codes, and there was 5 or 6 different errors including grounded MAP sensor, bad throttle motor value, and a couple other grounded/bad voltage errors.

Since this has happened 5-10 times now, I cleared all the codes and will read it after the next time it happens to see if there is a common fault.

So far I have checked all the wiring and internal plug connections to the map sensor, ambient air pressure sensor, common ground, and wiggled the wiring harnesses during runtime to attempt to replicate the problem.
calco88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
juno
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I am new to the KTM world but no one has responded and I am curious myself. An 08 does not have the electric throttle correct? So nothing going to the throttle body/FI? If not, outside of an ECU issue it sounds like a voltage-grounding issue. I would make sure the battery/stator/VR are fine first then do an internet search for grounding issues.
Sorry I can't be much help but maybe a bump on the thread will bring in some knowledge base anyway!!!!
juno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
sideup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Fuel injector filter checked?

Just a thought, when was the fuel injector filter checked. Maybe it surges as it gets into a lean condition from lack of fuel but then quickly it goes into a limp home mode.
Sherco 290 ST
sideup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:33 AM   #4
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 2,013
Check all the electrical connections under the seat behind the battery, there are several relays and electrical connections that are renowned for coming lose. Also under the battery tray is a wire that is generally not routed correctly from new and tends to chafe.

Have a read through my EFI Idiots Guide as there is a chapter on readers faults that may help, link in my sig line below.

Andy
KTM 690 EFI Idiots Guide
KTM 690 Troubleshooting Guide
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,082
Always check the connections to the coil. They are blade connectors and can get loose. Probably not the problem but good to check. Also check the ground connections on the frame. There is a big one on the right side of the bike close to where the top tank mount is. I found some corroded ground connections there. Then there is the battery relay connection under the seat. Sold my 690 last year but remember those things.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

The multiple EFI warnings seem to indicate a power supply issue affecting multiple circuits which could be a power lead or an earth.
The EFI warning will blink at idle to give you the fault code but it will become a steady light at anything above idle, just the way it is designed, probably to prevent distraction whilst riding.

Andy
KTM 690 EFI Idiots Guide
Old 11-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
DaveInSt.Augustine
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Tps

You could have a bad throttle Postion Sensor
DaveInSt.Augustine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
calco88 OP
n00b

Thanks for the replies. I'm going through the relays and connections towards the back of the bike today. I actually do see some minor chafing on the grounding wire loom on the right side of the frame, but that is just the protective jacket, I will see if there is anything loose or corroded inside.

TPS is set correctly, confirmed via TuneECU. TB Motor drive (THAD) values are also perfectly in range. Fuel filter and fuel pump were replaced less than 2k miles ago. Injector was also cleaned at the same time.

If everything looks okay today, I am considering the possibility of a malfunctioning voltage regulator. I've heard they are known to go bad, and can intermittently cause some bizarre issues due to voltage spikes and are virtually untraceable in those situations...
Old 11-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,985
My 2013 does this a few times a day since I bought it last winter.

I have talked to people and read a few threads here and elsewhere. It seems like a pretty common affliction and something people just live with.

But it is very interesting that there are stored error codes. I don't remember seeing any when I used TuneECU to remap after I put a different exhaust pipe on.

It would really be nice if somebody found a logical solid problem and solution to this.
wbbnm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

You could be bang on the money with the voltage regulator, could also be a failing battery but you should notice that through poor turn over during starting.

The fact you have an FI Light would rule out mechanical issues, it has to be something monitored by the EFI.

Andy
KTM 690 EFI Idiots Guide
Old 11-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #11
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,082
yeah could be the voltage regulator. Never had issues with the OEM one but replaced it with a better aftermarket item.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #12
runt boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Check all the electrical connections under the seat behind the battery, there are several relays and electrical connections that are renowned for coming lose. Also under the battery tray is a wire that is generally not routed correctly from new and tends to chafe.

Andy
Yep, good place to start. I was out & about for a fang & my 690 started acting really funny, momentary flame outs, poppin & fartin sort of thing.....my initial thoughts were a FI related issue but then the dash display was going dim then bright as well, so popped the seat off & there was '2' loose battery terminals
runt boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #13
calco88 OP
n00b

Update.

After clearing the stored error codes and going through all the connections again, I went for an hour ride and didn't have the problem occur.

Then the other morning on my 25 mile commute, it happened 6 times. I went home and hooked up TuneEcu and the interestingly enough, the only error code stored was for a bad TPS reading. So I cleaned the TPS plug connector, double checked the wiring for any fraying to no avail.

The good news is that it is now producing a consistent error code.

TPS readings come back perfectly normal throughout the entire 0-100% throttle range, but I suppose it's possible there are some worn spots in the potentiometer that can occasionally cause voltage spikes or drops. I also jiggled the wiring harness and TPS connectors around to see if I could produce any spikes.

Next step will be replacing the TPS to see if it solves the problem. I also have a voltage regulator on the way just in case.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #14
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,985
Thanks for the feedback and congratulations for trying to fix this problem. I and probably many others are anxious to know what the real root problem is.
wbbnm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #15
calco88 OP
n00b

Promising results today...

I spent the weekend knocking out each potential failure point, here's a quick recap.

1.) Replaced both TPS sensors, one at a time, went out riding, problem still persisted.

2.) Read about a supposedly common problem with the internal throttle body motor gears being plastic and stripping, so I got inside the throttle body and disassembled it, it's definitely not a problem and honestly I don't think that was a widespread problem as the gear teeth are very hefty. (I have pictures for those interested)

3.) Replaced the stock voltage regulator with a FH008BA MOSFET based regulator from a 07-11 CBR 600. ($50 off eBay, same as those $150+ MOSFET regs, just have to splice into the existing wiring harness)

4.) Did a recalibration of the throttle body APAD/THAD default values via TuneEcu (idiot's guide covers it)

5.) Did a throttle range reset.

6.) Finally a 15 minute idle reset.

After all that this weekend, I rode to work today without the issue occurring. For the past 2+ weeks, I would get it 1-6 times on the ride without fail.

I'm cautiously optimistic at this point, and each ride will determine if the issue is solved or not. So I will report back towards the end of the week with results and a conclusion.