Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2008, 06:07 PM   #31
TimberlineAdventure OP
Maine Thumpah

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperbill
I would start with new points and condensor. Generally I set the gap at .016 them set the timing slightly advanced and back off untill the engine does not ping under load. When finished my bikes generally start with 1-2 kicks hot or cold. On these bikes 90% of what people think is a carb issue turns out to be in the points. Seems that setting points is becoming a lost art. Hope the info helps!

Once I worked on one that the owner had replaced the clutch in but forgot to line up the gears for the points cam. Took a while to figure that one out.

I agree, although I had alot fewer problems with the addition of a 38mm flat side Mikuni.... But still, after sitting all winter long, she fired up with two kicks. Puuuurs like a kitten. I'll get the pictures loaded in the morning that I have been talking about...
TimberlineAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:13 AM   #32
Tiger_DFT
West Aussie old fart

Oddometer: 32
TE510 = XT500 + 100% more power/suspension/brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberlineAdventure
I am going to get some pictures of our XT's online today, and sure do love all the comments on these bikes, hopefully, we can keep this thread going, after all, wasn't the XT the first Thumpah !! I am about to buy a TE610, but was wondering about the 510, is it too much for a daily driver. I would be using the bike about 65% on the pavement and the rest on the dirt. I have heard that the 510 is a little too much for daily commuting. I do, however liked a hopped up piece of machinery. My other daily summer ride is a 1972 240z, old track car that doesn't like to be below 80mph... I would appreciate your comments on the 510 as I about to buy the 610 this week.
I ride my TE510 50/50....it is absolutely awesome offroad and just bearable on road. I too like performance orientated things (my road car is a Sunbeam Tiger Mk1A with a warmed up 330hp Windsor 302).

I have geared my 2005 TE 510 15/45 as I don't ride too much gnarly tight stuff here in W.A. More open firetrail riding and the close ratios and 15/45 are an absolute hoot!!

TE510 don't carry much fuel which is a good thing because by the time I get onto reserve I've got to have a little sit down anyway (58 and still growing up!). So I love my Husky, I also have a Ducati M900 (1st model - 1993) and just love riding that too if I need to go any distance on road.

Hope this helps...I'll dig up a photo of my XT500 and scan and upload it.

Cheers
David

Use it...use them...the bikes you own!
Tiger_DFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:34 AM   #33
TimberlineAdventure OP
Maine Thumpah

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_DFT
I ride my TE510 50/50....it is absolutely awesome offroad and just bearable on road. I too like performance orientated things (my road car is a Sunbeam Tiger Mk1A with a warmed up 330hp Windsor 302).

I have geared my 2005 TE 510 15/45 as I don't ride too much gnarly tight stuff here in W.A. More open firetrail riding and the close ratios and 15/45 are an absolute hoot!!

TE510 don't carry much fuel which is a good thing because by the time I get onto reserve I've got to have a little sit down anyway (58 and still growing up!). So I love my Husky, I also have a Ducati M900 (1st model - 1993) and just love riding that too if I need to go any distance on road.

Hope this helps...I'll dig up a photo of my XT500 and scan and upload it.

Cheers
David
David,

Thanks for the comments... Would you do the 510 again, or opt for the 610? I have heard from the 610 thread that the tranny is one of the best tranny's of any bike every made. Also heard that the 510 needs much more wrenching. It is a difficult decision for me as I like the most H.P. I can get under my legs. I had a M800 Dark, tweaked and sold it when my kids were born as I couldn't resist turning the throttle toooooo much. Plus, there is nothing better than gettig to a place here in Maine where other people cant get to on.... If I chose to have only one bike, it would be an Enduro, and certainly Husky seems to be the machine. I am 38, three torn discs in my back, and this is why I am going to get a new machine and put the XT's in the garage as eye candy. Have a great day !!
Old 04-01-2008, 08:28 AM   #34
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Man, somebody got a good deal on this one. And it wasn't me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150228345222

KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #35
TimberlineAdventure OP
Maine Thumpah

Good Deal - Bad Example

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshpiston
Man, somebody got a good deal on this one. And it wasn't me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150228345222

Yeh, I have been watching this... I wouldn't consider selling mine for less that 5k... But of course, she is Mint with the correct after market add-ons. This one looks like a Yamonda, and what a f'ed up color. I dont think it is right to combine 1970's classic metal with a modern light.... just my opinion
Old 04-02-2008, 12:56 AM   #36
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,630
great thread, I just love these old bikes, keep it coming.
james
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:50 AM   #37
Tiger_DFT
West Aussie old fart

Oddometer: 32
Laugh TE510 - Would I do it again - absobloodylutely

Quote:
David,

Thanks for the comments... Would you do the 510 again, or opt for the 610? I have heard from the 610 thread that the tranny is one of the best tranny's of any bike every made. Also heard that the 510 needs much more wrenching. It is a difficult decision for me as I like the most H.P. I can get under my legs. I had a M800 Dark, tweaked and sold it when my kids were born as I couldn't resist turning the throttle toooooo much. Plus, there is nothing better than gettig to a place here in Maine where other people cant get to on.... If I chose to have only one bike, it would be an Enduro, and certainly Husky seems to be the machine. I am 38, three torn discs in my back, and this is why I am going to get a new machine and put the XT's in the garage as eye candy. Have a great day !!
I would not hesitate in buying another TE510....it does everything on the dirt you could ever ask for. It is mild manner until you twist it and then HANG ON! It is reasonably mild mannered for such a powerful bike. The tranny on the 510 works a treat but the gearing isn't road friendly. Mine is tolerable with the 15/45 gearing but what the heck....this thing is the best hooligan bike when you get on the gas......it's great!! Very hard to keep yourself well behaved!

Whilst TE510's need more wrenching than a 610...the valve checking couldn't be easier (and mine haven't changed!). All maintenance like filter/oil changes, aircleaner servicing etc is a breeze.

Build and material quality is top class too....I'm definitely happy to give Husky's and TE510s my full endorsement.

Hope this helps
Cheers

Use it...use them...the bikes you own!
Tiger_DFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #38
Sycamore
d00b

Oddometer: 1,697
The motor that started a lifelong love-affair with thumpers ...

Sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #39
TimberlineAdventure OP
Maine Thumpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamore
The motor that started a lifelong love-affair with thumpers ...

That is the best photo of the ole beast I have ever seen... I sure wish I could get my pictures loaded up here... Love the trumpet on this engine, must have been an SR, & what kind of carb is that?

Husqvarna '08 TE-610 Front Fork Thread Only
http://rickramsey.net/TE610mods.htm
Old 04-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #40
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,721
My old girl.
78 SR500

Got it for 750.00 in about 1995.

Was told it had a high comp piston, head work and a cam. Never confirmed this,

but it was as quick as my friends 1997ish KTM Duke.

Like everyone else, wish I hadn't sold it.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #41
gregg
gregg

Oddometer: 177
Bought one of the first that hit the shores.
Bought it in Bismarck ND New for I think $975?
In 1976. 4 digit Ser Num.
It will end up in my estate sale.
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #42
TimberlineAdventure OP
Maine Thumpah

I am doing everything I can to hold on to my XT while buying a Husky 610 in the next month or so... My friend is holding my bike hostage so that I wont sell it, and by the sound of everyone here wishing they hadn't, I better not. Certainly, the XT|TT|SR is one of the great bikes of all time. How many other bikes will break your leg if you start it incorrectly, or hell.... even look at it the wrong way. We need to keep this thread going with maintenance tips, starting tips for the weak, etc. Has anyone ever talked to Mark Apland at www.Thumperstuff.com --> Great guy, great parts for these old bikes.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:59 PM   #43
leewildwater
rrrrRide Man rrrrRide

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
I am doing everything I can to hold on to my XT while buying a Husky 610 in the next month or so... My friend is holding my bike hostage so that I wont sell it, and by the sound of everyone here wishing they hadn't, I better not. Certainly, the XT|TT|SR is one of the great bikes of all time. How many other bikes will break your leg if you start it incorrectly, or hell.... even look at it the wrong way. We need to keep this thread going with maintenance tips, starting tips for the weak, etc. Has anyone ever talked to Mark Apland at www.Thumperstuff.com --> Great guy, great parts for these old bikes.
Agreed that that this is a great thread and Mark @ thumpstuff is kewl dude.

But question i have has anyone talked with him lately? i've gotten stuff from him in the past and just curious if he's up and running?
Old 04-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #44
TimberlineAdventure OP
Maine Thumpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by leewildwater
Agreed that that this is a great thread and Mark @ thumpstuff is kewl dude.

But question i have has anyone talked with him lately? i've gotten stuff from him in the past and just curious if he's up and running?
I talked to him last week, still cranking out parts....

Old 04-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #45
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly705
It starts when it feels like it and cuts out when it does run. The carb was pulled apart and cleaned, points in spec, the whole bike has been through but still won't run right, it is driving me or shall I say my father crazy. He has the bike in his garage now and have been messing with it for months now. It has us stumped!
One of my XT's did that, would quit on the highway with semi's breathing down your back! Turned out to be a bad coil, the vibes killed it where it would only work intermittantly. Worth checking out... remember, it's a 6v coil in the XT.

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote