ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #631
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Sidecar Jockey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: MD
Oddometer: 360
The rear sprocket o my 1978 xt500 has developed a 'wiggle'. It can be 'wiggled' by hand about 1/8''. This seems excessive...

I'm assuming that my cush drive is worn out. Will replacing the cush drive rubbers fix this? I wanted to check and see if anyone else had this problem and fixed it before dropping $60 on some rubber pieces ($10 per rubber x 6 pieces)

Thanks!
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:30 AM   #632
stteve
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Below sealevel
Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
The rear sprocket o my 1978 xt500 has developed a 'wiggle'. It can be 'wiggled' by hand about 1/8''. This seems excessive...

I'm assuming that my cush drive is worn out. Will replacing the cush drive rubbers fix this? I wanted to check and see if anyone else had this problem and fixed it before dropping $60 on some rubber pieces ($10 per rubber x 6 pieces)

Thanks!
I know some owners of the new Yamaha Tenere added some old innertubes in the cushdrive, when the rubbers would would wore out (a known problem with the newer XTZ), to keep it usable for some more miles. Why not try the same, to see if it stops.
__________________
Now-1977 YAMAHA XT500 - 1996 HONDA XR400R - 1991 YAMAHA XTZ660
Sold-1983 XT250/1991 TT350/1996 TT600E/1985 XT350/1999 TT600R/2002 TT600R
stteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #633
Off-Road-Adventures
Mid-life-Crisis? Me??
 
Off-Road-Adventures's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: No more racing for me, time to enjoy the view
Oddometer: 24
Long range tank wanted

Hi Fellas

I'm a long time XT500 rider, got my first one in 1976, and have had many other bikes, but my XT 500 is still my favourite.

I am desperately looking for a long range tank for my XT. I had a 32L Acerbis tank, but it got damaged in a fall, and I am told it cant be fixed. Does anyone have a large tank which will fit an XT500, 20L or larger to sell? Please contact me on xt500@mweb.co.za if you do

Thanks guys
__________________
Allan
www.canoetrails.co.za


Living in Africa is a daily adventure
Off-Road-Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #634
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Sidecar Jockey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: MD
Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by stteve View Post
I know some owners of the new Yamaha Tenere added some old innertubes in the cushdrive, when the rubbers would would wore out (a known problem with the newer XTZ), to keep it usable for some more miles. Why not try the same, to see if it stops.

To follow up on my wobbly rear sprocket problem:

I took my rear wheel and sprocket carrier off yesterday. One of the O-rings in the sprocket carrier was smashed/ripped. I replaced it with a new one and the sprocket wobble is fixed.

Before you spend $60 on new cush-drive rubbers, check your sprocket carrier O-rings!!
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #635
Sic Semper Tyrannis
.
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 417
Anyone have a recommendation on XT/TT engine rebuilders? Just a good solid torquey engine?

Or is this beast a DIY motor? I'll try pretty much anything.

no particular need right now, but I am thinking of buying a spare motor and do a rebuild on it. Then swapping the current over to the spare.

This one runs great but at idle has a knock that is worrisome.
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #636
Caddy82rats
Beastly Adventurer
 
Caddy82rats's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: South France
Oddometer: 1,118
it's a real easy to work on motor, no specific tool. You can do it yourself
Caddy82rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #637
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Sidecar Jockey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: MD
Oddometer: 360
Rebuild it yourself. It is one of the easiest motors I have ever worked on. Just remember... DO NOT DROP THE CAM CHAIN!
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:14 AM   #638
altf4
Gnarly Adventurer
 
altf4's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: devon gb
Oddometer: 112
hi: google-translate (german-english) this page, this will provide an idea how to go about it...
it's a common problem, but this conversion will sort it out for good.

http://motorang.com/bucheli-projekt/hinterradnabe.htm


g max ~:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
The rear sprocket o my 1978 xt500 has developed a 'wiggle'. It can be 'wiggled' by hand about 1/8''. This seems excessive...

I'm assuming that my cush drive is worn out. Will replacing the cush drive rubbers fix this? I wanted to check and see if anyone else had this problem and fixed it before dropping $60 on some rubber pieces ($10 per rubber x 6 pieces)

Thanks!

altf4 screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 06:14 AM
altf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #639
Sidecar Jockey
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Sidecar Jockey's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: MD
Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by altf4 View Post
hi: google-translate (german-english) this page, this will provide an idea how to go about it...
it's a common problem, but this conversion will sort it out for good.

http://motorang.com/bucheli-projekt/hinterradnabe.htm


g max ~:)

I have read about this solution before, it looks like a nice setup. Replacing my ripped/squahed O-ring in the sprocket carrier solved my problem though.

I think the fix described in the link above (which requires machining and improving the bearing setup in the carrier) is a GREAT solution, but I wont do it until it is my only option left (if/when the hub and carrier get so worn that replacing the rubbers and shims will no longer fix the wobble).

Thanks for sharing the info. There is also an English version of the write-up with more pictures on the sr500 forum, for anyone interested.
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #640
motomike14
Thumper Crusader
 
motomike14's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
Anyone have a recommendation on XT/TT engine rebuilders? Just a good solid torquey engine?

Or is this beast a DIY motor? I'll try pretty much anything.

no particular need right now, but I am thinking of buying a spare motor and do a rebuild on it. Then swapping the current over to the spare.

This one runs great but at idle has a knock that is worrisome.
Do it yourself. Find a good local machinist just in case you need to redo bore or what not. Super easy motor to work on and put back together. Highly recommend a 540 Wiseco with megacycle cam and 36mm Mikuni.
__________________
"The bold adventurer succeeds the best. - Ovid

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:42 AM   #641
stteve
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Below sealevel
Oddometer: 341
Last weekend, me and 4 friends had an epic ride around Holland. We did 1200 kms on various XT500's, to celebrate the XT/SR500 clubs 20th-birthday. The idea was to visit all places were an event was organized over the last 20 years, and the trip took us to every corner of Holland.

http://stteve.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/X ... &k=Zmh4Zcp

We started in the sun and 35 celcius, had 2 XT's with problems on day one (a oil line had popped off on a 1976'er and mine needed a new plug cap and a new plug), had 2 hours of rain the second day, 5 hours of rain the third day, but we finished in dry wheather, wet clothes and a sore ass. The bike's 35 year old seat needs a rebuild...

One of the guys took the time (well .... a LOT of time, since he finished it last weekend) to make a nice little clip of the trip


http://youtu.be/VIWTCNLLH08

I you want to know, I am the guy in the blue jacket on the 1977'er
__________________
Now-1977 YAMAHA XT500 - 1996 HONDA XR400R - 1991 YAMAHA XTZ660
Sold-1983 XT250/1991 TT350/1996 TT600E/1985 XT350/1999 TT600R/2002 TT600R
stteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:02 AM   #642
Chris S
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: UK and around
Oddometer: 140
Just researching XT5s and enjoying the old pics here.
My first one, a '76 is below; a bit of a dog iirc. And an old travel report on a '77 here on adv with lots more pics.

Ch

Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #643
TonyXT
Adventurer
 
TonyXT's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Italy
Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off-Road-Adventures View Post
Hi Fellas

I'm a long time XT500 rider, got my first one in 1976, and have had many other bikes, but my XT 500 is still my favourite.

I am desperately looking for a long range tank for my XT. I had a 32L Acerbis tank, but it got damaged in a fall, and I am told it cant be fixed. Does anyone have a large tank which will fit an XT500, 20L or larger to sell? Please contact me on xt500@mweb.co.za if you do

Thanks guys
Hi O.R.Adv,
wath do you think about this ?
35,5 liters alluminium Dakar Replica

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835607


TonyXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:34 AM   #644
stteve
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Below sealevel
Oddometer: 341
Col de Sommelier, France
__________________
Now-1977 YAMAHA XT500 - 1996 HONDA XR400R - 1991 YAMAHA XTZ660
Sold-1983 XT250/1991 TT350/1996 TT600E/1985 XT350/1999 TT600R/2002 TT600R
stteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #645
Jockel
n00b
 
Jockel's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Hamburg
Oddometer: 8
Xtiggr

Hi,

I just joined in.
Since 1989 the XT is with me and last year I made a dream come true: Riding the tiger.

First I thought of airbrushing, then it turned out a little furry, when I discovered this "Dinner For One" requisite.

There are a few enhancements on the bike like a XT 350 fork, Profab swing arm with KONIs, stainless exhaust and muffler, 12 V, big oil pump etc.

I love her.

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/file...-c4ca-jpg.html



edit: My gfx-source doesn't seem to work here.^^

__________________
Confidence is what you feel short before you fully understand the problem.

Jockel screwed with this post 09-04-2013 at 05:21 AM Reason: gfx missing
Jockel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014