Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2008, 06:19 PM   #76
haydenslides
K.Flotto

Oddometer: 94
montesa vr- yes i think a compression test is in order. my xt clymer manual gives the same procedure as you did. my buddies have a comp tester, so i'll give it a shot. thanks for the input...
'02 Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa
'74 Honda CT70 - the original adv bike
port angeles, washington, usa
haydenslides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:47 PM   #77
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
XT-500 air filter

The filter media is disentigrading on my filter.I hate to spend $32 for a new assembly.I 'll buy a new filter if neccessary but the rest of the unit looks OK .
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #78
haydenslides
K.Flotto

Cool2 points/condenser part #'s

thought i'd post these part number, as i just got a new set... for z 1977 XT500D
yamaha part #'s:
condenser: 583-81625-50
might be interesting if anybody had a yamaha parts cross reference disc to see what other bikes run this setup...
Old 05-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #79
cbmma1969
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydenslides
thought i'd post these part number, as i just got a new set... for z 1977 XT500D
yamaha part #'s:
condenser: 583-81625-50
might be interesting if anybody had a yamaha parts cross reference disc to see what other bikes run this setup...
Just as an FYI the points are also Honda 107's. Used on small bore singles as I recall. Many years ago they were cheaper than the Yamaha set.

The 583 in the Yamaha part number says they were first used on the TT/XT bikes so I'd say very few others would use them as Yamaha quit using points in '79.
The traveler is active; he goes strenuously in search of people, of adventure, or experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. DANIEL J. BOORSTIN, attributed, Voyages of Discover
cbmma1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #80
haydenslides
K.Flotto

Wicked

I'm trying to come up with some cross reference info for XT/TT/SR 500's. The XT's had steel swingarms, did the TT's have aluminum? Will SR 500 wheels fit on an XT? Can you run a TT front wheel on a XT and still retain speedometer function? Are XT/TT seats interchangeable? Do XT's/TT's use different carb's? Am i correct in assuming that that the TT didn't have a lighting coil?

I'd like to possibly run a SR front rim on my XT for more street riding with my pop. Also, i'm trying to locate a replacement seat, and am wondering if a TT seat would work.

This bike is a kick in the ass. Rode 700 miles in 4 days last week and the bike ran perfect. started first kick every time. It barrelled up the north cascades highway passes and then tackled 2 foot deep snow covered logging road passes. i'm in love!
Old 05-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #81
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydenslides
I'm trying to come up with some cross reference info for XT/TT/SR 500's. The XT's had steel swingarms, did the TT's have aluminum?

no, steel

Will SR 500 wheels fit on an XT?

the front has disc brake

Can you run a TT front wheel on a XT and still retain speedometer function?

no.

Are XT/TT seats interchangeable?

yes.

Do XT's/TT's use different carb's

yes

Am i correct in assuming that that the TT didn't have a lighting coil?

dont know

I'd like to possibly run a SR front rim on my XT for more street riding with my pop. Also, i'm trying to locate a replacement seat, and am wondering if a TT seat would work.

tt seat will fit, but it sucks like the xt

This bike is a kick in the ass. Rode 700 miles in 4 days last week and the bike ran perfect. started first kick every time. It barrelled up the north cascades highway passes and then tackled 2 foot deep snow covered logging road passes. i'm in love!
good luck
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #82
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
seat

I like my XT-500 but the seat is anything but comfortable.I emailed Frank at Spencer seats ,he would likk to see a picture of the bottom of the seat .
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #83
msGizmo67
g@@ber

Oddometer: 34
Yamaha XT500 an Ill handling POS... I have a plate with four screws thats been in my right arm for 30 years.. evrytime I look at an XT my arm aches.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #84
fatherof4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
1977 XT500 project

I just picked up a 1977 XT500 with 7300 miles for $200. It had been sitting for 8 yrs.

Cleaned the carb and put a tube in the back tire and it fired right up. I took it out last weekend for a short in-town ride and seems to run alright and it didn't smoke. The tires are to dry rotted to risk any distance or speed.

I should have new tires for it in a couple days.

What I am looking for is any suggestion on gearing this bike. I have to buy chain and sprockets so I only want to buy one set.

This wil be my primary form of transportation to work so it will see some highway riding. Mostly it will be rode to work and some forest service roads.

I have had bikes from a z50 to a kz1100 but this is my first XT.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Attached Images

fatherof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:17 AM   #85
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
The first model TT (white/red tank) ran a steel swingarm. '77 and on (orange/alloy, yellow/alloy) ran an alloy swingarm.

Yes TT's had a lighting coil, so you can run lights.

XT/TT's have a massive steering rake, so don't handle that great. (They do in a straight line.) White Bros made offset triple trees for them in the '70's or you can cut the rake back to 26,27 degrees if your handy with a torch.

Sand riding, get it up to 60-70 mph to stay on top of the sand. Any less and your just ploughing. Beach sand is harder than desert sand to ride in.

XT/TT 500's do awsome wheelstands.

Bought a 76 TT500 when I was 16. Only bike I ever cried over when I sold it. Bought a few XT's years later, sold them and regretted it. Finnaly after 23 years of searching, stumbled across a 76 TT500 in original unmolested saftey stickers still on tank, condition at a swap meet and fell over myself to get it. One of the sexiest dirt bikes ever built. Have been collecting period after market bits for it on ebay.

A fully restored white, orange or yellow TT in Australia pulls about $5-6,000 au.
crash n bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:40 AM   #86
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherof4
I just picked up a 1977 XT500 with 7300 miles for $200. It had been sitting for 8 yrs.

Cleaned the carb and put a tube in the back tire and it fired right up. I took it out last weekend for a short in-town ride and seems to run alright and it didn't smoke. The tires are to dry rotted to risk any distance or speed.

I should have new tires for it in a couple days.

What I am looking for is any suggestion on gearing this bike. I have to buy chain and sprockets so I only want to buy one set.

This wil be my primary form of transportation to work so it will see some highway riding. Mostly it will be rode to work and some forest service roads.

I have had bikes from a z50 to a kz1100 but this is my first XT.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
been riding my 79 on streets. i chose 42/16 gearing, stock is 44/16
its still pretty short, dont know if you can fit a 17, but if possible, thats the ticket. mine will run at 65+ without working too hard, but feels better under that. another tip, move the forks up (drop the front of the bike) for better steering. i'll be making mine back into an enduro this summer, miss the trails
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:19 PM   #87
Marcelovich
n00b

Oddometer: 1
http://www.xt-500.de/happen/enduromania/mania08-e.html

Perhaps you wan't to try and make it here.

I'm going!
Marcelovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #88
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherof4

What I am looking for is any suggestion on gearing this bike.
Congratulations. That's the exact same model I had. I rode it to Alaska and back with stock gearing, but that was in the day of the 55mph speed limit. Stock gearing is already pretty high for technical off-road riding, but if you stick to easier trails you could drop some teeth on the rear to make the engine less busy on the freeway.

montesa_vr screwed with this post 11-07-2008 at 08:02 PM
montesa_vr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:43 PM   #89
fatherof4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
1977 XT500 project

Well I got the new tires on and have put a 100 miles on it. I don't have any major complaints. I kind of like the old school nostalgia of it. Once I learned the starting routine I can usually start it in one or two kicks even after sitting for a couple days.

I have mounted a set of soft bags off my XL250R for the planned trips.
I am looking for a front fender mounted bag if anyone has any suggestions.

I have a couple more tweaks to do and I am planning a couple day trips into the blues with my brother on his KLR.

He lives 125 miles away and I plan on riding the XT to his place and then into the mountains from there.

Thanks for the help on the gearing.
fatherof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #90
haydenslides
K.Flotto

xt mods

i'm trying to compile a list of BOLT ON suspension mods that will work on my 77 xt500...
here's what i've gathered so far:
1979/1980 aluminum swingarm from a RM250/400
1979-1981 YZ250/400/465 triple clamp, forks, wheel, disc brake
Radian YX600 aluminum swingarm
XS650 aluminum swingarm
1977-and on TT500 aluminum swingarm

here's what i'm trying to achieve:
reduced weight
improved suspension (travel/damping/rebound)
better braking
i love the bike, great power, but i'd like to get a little better handling and performance out of it.

for you adv'ers in the xt500 know, what would you suggest? i don't want to mess around w/ machining, etc.... i want to bolt on and go!
any suggestions for rear shocks brand, length, etc?
here's sum xt shots i pulled off the web to drool over...