Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #31
DrLost
Dirt Newbie

Oddometer: 36
Jetboil RULES!!! Get the Java kit for a fantastic start to the day. Most compact, eastest to use, no brainer. JETBOIL!!
Old 04-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #32
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
Jet-Boil worked great to Alaska and back to Texas. Compact, energy efficent, boils water FAST. Check it out.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:40 AM   #33
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,303
Just bought a new stove for the bike. Its a Jetboil PCS. Packs really small and its supposed to use half the fuel of normal stoves. Here is a link

http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Cook.../Personal-(PCS)

Can't wait to get out there and try it out
Old 05-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #34
shahram
Duct Tape Technician

Oddometer: 47
I have a Primus Multi-fuel stove that will allegedly run on anything remotely flammable--diesel, gas, white gas, kerosene, etc. I fill it with regular unleaded. It cokes up quickly, but the jet is easy to clean. With unleaded gas, I figure if I get stuck for a while, I'll at least have hot and/or clean water. If I need to squeeze out that extra couple of miles, I can empty the 750 ml stove bottle into the bike's gas tank.

I've considered purchasing 2 (or more) one liter bottles and mounting them on the bike as dual-use gerry can/stove fuel.
shahram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:50 PM   #35
Lurch II
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Coleman 442

A big fan of the Coleman. Simple, easy to find parts (not that I've ever needed any) and in 8 years or so it has never let me down. Boils fast, simmers really well and fuel is always as close as my gas tank.

Shawn
2007 R1200GSA - Lurch II (his)
2007 R1200GS - Wickd (hers)
"Dying is a very dull, dreary affair. And my advice to you is to have nothing whatever to do with it." - W. Somerset Maugham
Lurch II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #36
TheMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Also a fan of the coleman, I've used mine for 10 years at least a hundred times a year on the job and taken it on every trip I go on. Fill the stove up, and take an extra 650ml MSR fuel bottle and it will last you a long time. As others have pointed out you can always use fuel out of the gas tank. Boils well, simmers well, has never broke down (keep the pump oiled), what else is there?

My two cents,

Todd

TW Goes To Alaska Solo
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=utah+tw200

My Bike
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=tw200 (Sold )

My New Bike (03/09)

2001 Tiger 955i - Fully Farkled
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:34 AM   #37
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Question Dirty 442

I've used the Coleman 442 over the years, filling it from my gas tank (usually premium - 91 octane). The thing just burns dirty as all get out turning everything black and sooty. I like the dual fuel concept. Any suggestions to run this stove cleaner? Are some of the other dual fuel stoves cleaner?
malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:58 AM   #38
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,352
Jetboil Stoves rock, but the competition has not been sleeping and they've been building stoves for years. At a recent open house the Primus guy was there touting the benefits of their new Jetboil competitor:

Quote:
Designed for a solo traveler or ultralight team of two, the Primus EtaExpress™ boils water in short order and won't weigh you down on the trail.
Utilizing a clip-on windscreen and a 1-liter EtaPower™ pot with built-in heat exchanger, you'll have a liter of boiling water in just 2.5 min.
Compact stove mounts directly onto an isobutane gas canister (sold separately)
Piezo igniter sparks the stove to life with a push of a button, eliminating worries about wet matches or burning your hand
Pot lid doubles as a frying pan, expanding your cooking capabilities
Aluminum pot and fry pan have titanium nonstick coatings to make cooking and cleanup a breeze
1-liter pot features heat-resistant fold-out handles and an integrated spout for easy pouring
Stove accepts other pots and pans, thereby not limiting you to simply boiling water
For the best fuel economy, turn the throttle approximately three-quarters of the way open
Fuel canisters sold separately

They have a comparison chart with heat times, fuel usage, etc that makes this baby look pretty darned hot (pun intended ).

MSR also makes a Jetboil competitor with the heat exchange ring, which is what makes 'em heat up so damned fast. All are great stoves and will heat fast.

I liked the piezo lighter on the Primus and have used their stuff for a long time. I think the canisters are handy, but please remember to re-cycle them properly.

munchmeister screwed with this post 05-06-2008 at 07:16 PM
munchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:28 AM   #39
TheMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloy
I've used the Coleman 442 over the years, filling it from my gas tank (usually premium - 91 octane). The thing just burns dirty as all get out turning everything black and sooty. I like the dual fuel concept. Any suggestions to run this stove cleaner? Are some of the other dual fuel stoves cleaner?
I've tried several dual fuel stoves over the years and still really prefer the coleman. All of them will burn sooty with gasoline. I use white gas essentially all the time but have had to use gas a time or two in a pinch. I might recommend filling it up with white gas at the start of the trip, that little tank lasts a long time, and then reverting to gasoline if you need to.

Todd

TW Goes To Alaska Solo
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=utah+tw200

My Bike
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=tw200 (Sold )

My New Bike (03/09)

2001 Tiger 955i - Fully Farkled
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #40
mtnbiker1096
Wishing I was there

Oddometer: 57
The first question you need to ask yourself is what type of cooking are you going to be doing.
Are you just going to be heating water for soups or freeze dried? Or are you going to cook a full meal?
Then you have to decide on the quality of the product you want. I used a coleman for many years and it was great. When it died I bought an MSR Windpro. The MSR is by far lighter, easier and better quality.
I went from white gas to iso/butane. I like it alot better. No mess, No fuss.
I cook full meal deals when I can. I dont travel to third world countries yet, so for me the remote canister works very well.
Check out backpacker gear test. Lots of good real world reviews and tests posted there.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/

I changed from a coleman white gas lantern to a isopro one as well. I can fill the lantern and cook all from one canister. Canisters are readily availible most anywhere

mtnbiker1096 screwed with this post 05-06-2008 at 11:49 AM
mtnbiker1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:22 PM   #41
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,161
I currently use an MSR Whisperlite stove.

For those of you that use stoves with canisters, how long does a canister last? One for a weekend? How bout a week?

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #42
dukedinner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
I have been using a Swedish Trangia alcohol stove and an german army mess kit/windscreen for years...it all nests into a a small, reliable unit.

dukedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #43
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,741
Coleman Peak 1 canister stove

I have been touting and tinkering with homemade alcohol stoves. Just happened to be in Wal-Mart recently and on a impulse picked up a Coleman Peak 1 canister stove, $20 stove and the isobutane canister was less than $5. Got it home and it quickly boiled water, was very adjustable. It simmered nicely and adjusts to any temp, better than some high dollar stoves from what I understand. I need to take it on the road but from what I can see this is a great little stove. If you are riding in the US, Wal-Mart is everywhere and the whole deal is very inexpensive.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #44
DirtRideRoader
Armed and Dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunlung
You'll need a really big stove to cook a motorcycle.
I was going to ask what the motorcycle was going to cook on the stove. You beat me to the sacastic punch!

There is a smartass in every crowd, usually more than one.
IBA #23263
DirtRideRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:31 AM   #45
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
I think I have about 5 or 6 stoves

Jetboil + support stand, pot adapter, jetboil frying pan

MSR Dragonfly

Trangia alcohol stove

heineken keg can stove

esbit army stove

All have their place. It all depends on what yours need and annoyances are.

jetboil = quick, easy, no fuss, no mess. Pull it out of your pannier\tailbag, fill it with water, 30 seconds-1.5 minutes later your water is boiled, make your coffee\hot cocoa\soup\oatmeal\dehydrated crap...err...food. Even if your using it twice a day, the canister will last you two weeks. (turn off at the first site of bubbling, no need for water to be at a rolling boil)

Dragonfly = if your spending the night in camp and can relax for a few hrs and make a full sized meal this is great, but its obnoxiously loud so if your planning on cooking on the picnic table with your buddies or that cute girl you picked up you might NOT want to use this stove and instead cook on the fire. But you can catch a fish and fry it up very very nicely with this and make some steamed veggies to go with it. (but then again I have fried fish on the jetboil as well as made pancakes on it too, e.t.c.)

Trangia alcohol stove - its basically a store bought version of a pepsi can stove. They can be had from about $7-$12. Mine was $6.99 in a mom and pop camping store. It's nice because it comes with a threaded cap so you can extinguish the fire, saving the fuel and relight it later that day instead of having to dump out the fuel every time your ready to pack up and go. Comes with a little flame control thingy to allow you to simmer. Not too bad at all

heineken keg can stove - never used on the trail, made it cause I was bored, same thing as the Trangia above but much much larger (keg can, not a pepsi can) works well though, boils a pot (with flux ring) or water in about 4-5 minutes, regular pot in about 8 minutes.

esbit army stove - its the size of a deck of cards or pack of smokes so I carry it on a trip. Inside I store 9 or 12 tablets. 1 tablet is good to boil 2 cups of water and will burn for about 15 minutes. A small pot will boil those two cups in about 7-8 minutes leaving you another 7-8 minutes to make your pasta in the boiling water.

If your the type who likes to stop, make a quick cup of coffee or quick dehydraded meal or cup of soup and get right back on the road get yourself a jetboil.

If you want to do the above but cheaper and less technologically get a trangia or esbit.

If your stopping for a night or 3 to camp and want to make more elaborate meals gets yourself the dragonfly.

I also dig the coleman 442, don't own one personally but have used them in the past, nice all in one setup, remove from bag and light it, the MSR requires a setup\teardown\cleanup\fold up process with every lighting.

To make any of the above more fuel efficient turn them off at the first site of bubbling, water does not have to be at a rolling boil to be considered boiled (in order to kill bacteria, e.t.c.)
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote