User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #46
Slammin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Optimus Nova

I've owned or used about a half a dozen backpacking stoves over the years. Svea 123, Optimus 8R, Coleman PEAK, 3 MSRs all come to mind. Finally bellied up to the bar and just purchased an Optimus Nova. Incredibly well made (more alumimum vs. plastic on the MSRs especially the pump) super light and compact and had great turndown. Uses the same MSR fuel bottles so no need to buy more if you have one of those. Haven't had it long enough to test durability but based on all the workmanship and reviews I've seen it should be excellent. Do a web search for the best price, but they cost north of $100.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #47
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammin
I've owned or used about a half a dozen backpacking stoves over the years. Svea 123, Optimus 8R, Coleman PEAK, 3 MSRs all come to mind. Finally bellied up to the bar and just purchased an Optimus Nova. Incredibly well made (more alumimum vs. plastic on the MSRs especially the pump) super light and compact and had great turndown. Uses the same MSR fuel bottles so no need to buy more if you have one of those. Haven't had it long enough to test durability but based on all the workmanship and reviews I've seen it should be excellent. Do a web search for the best price, but they cost north of $100.
How did you like the 8R? How is the nova compared to the rest? I just picked up a hiker, which is basically a nova inside a 8R case with built in fuel container.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #48
Seppe
n00b

Oddometer: 1
MSR whisperlite international

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Way
Looking to buy a camp stove for the Strom, any suggestions??
If you take the "MSR whisperlite international" yoo have a stove thas has been proven his qualiity even on Antartica expeditions.
Seppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:32 AM   #49
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,668
optimus 8r

+1,, I have had mine for,,,holy moly,, had to do the math,,, 35 years
not sure I have any other gear thats older and still works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSIFxpTZ280
Old 05-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #50
liking4biken
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
optimus 8r hunter

Ive been using an 8r hunter for 35 years and its still going strong. You can burn anything in them and parts are still available. There is one on ebay for $ 14 at the moment.
cheers
pete
liking4biken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:53 PM   #51
Yaktrain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
[quote=rob1313]
I need to ensure it is still a multi fuel, the add does not specify but most with the seperate fuel bottle are.
/quote]

Not true Rob. If it doesn't specify, it probably isn't multi fuel. Check out a Whisperlite Internationale - the multi fuel variant of the Whisperlite. Compact, relatively cheap, easy to field repair (buy the maintenance kit).
Yaktrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #52
gunslinger
diabolical schemer

Oddometer: 230
pocket rocket vs whisperlite international

whisperlites are sweet. if you know how to prime them. i use to pick them up cheap all the time at the REI garage sales cause people always returned them thinking they were broken - REI since then asks people when they buy them if they know how to prime them.... so, they are a PITA to prime sometimes. especially if youre not using white gas. with white gas they are pretty easy. boils 100ml of water in about 4 minutes.

whisperlites on the other hand - ARE MESSY. soot will be your foe with this stove, and they take a few minutes to set up. im too impatient for it anymore. oh, and yes, they are LOUD.

i personally use a MSR pocket rocket (haha, heehee ... i know, jokes aside ) with the MSR fuel cans. way clean, 10 seconds to set up and weighs about nothing. ive used it everywhere - boils 100ml of water in just under 4 minutes and can decently simmer. as far as a stove backup in case of no fuel canisters or whatnot, thats what a fire is for.
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:38 AM   #53
Elyptic
n00b

Oddometer: 7
A backpacker's Opinion

As an avid backpacker, I have to give the nod to the Optimus Nova over any of the MSR stoves.

You get a durable stove with the same servicability as the MSR which runs on Diesel, Kerosine, Unleaded, White Gas and just about anything else you can think of. In theory, the MSR does too. However, from my experience, the jetting is more of a problem on the MSR stoves where the Nova just seems to work.

Also, I've never found a MSR stove that can simmer well without a lot of fiddling. The Nova does.

My final nod to the Nova is the pump design. If you flip over the bottle when you have about a minute or so of cooking time left, it will run itself out of fuel and therefore, depressurize the bottle, clear out the hose and stove and make packing much easier -- no fuel mess.

Overall, having used all the options including alcohol / jet boil type systems, I always reach for my Nova. Had it five years and used it close to 100 days for numerious things. Can't complain a bit.
Elyptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #54
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyptic
As an avid backpacker, I have to give the nod to the Optimus Nova over any of the MSR stoves.

You get a durable stove with the same servicability as the MSR which runs on Diesel, Kerosine, Unleaded, White Gas and just about anything else you can think of. In theory, the MSR does too. However, from my experience, the jetting is more of a problem on the MSR stoves where the Nova just seems to work.

Also, I've never found a MSR stove that can simmer well without a lot of fiddling. The Nova does.
Have you used the dragonfly? I have both a nova+ and a dragonfly, and both simmer just great. My nova is actually a hiker model which is a nova in its own little case, no external bottle required.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:10 AM   #55
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,453
+1 MSR Whisperlight International!

20+ years and never an issue while riding or backpacking.

Keep in mind, nothing sucks more than having a hot meal after a day of riding in the rain.

Bottom line- get what you can afford and always make sure you test your stove before you leave home. Nothing's worse than a stove that craps out on you when you need it the most.
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #56
Flyred
Who is John Galt?

Oddometer: 677
+1 for the Esbit. I have owned a Svea 123 for 35 years and it still works great. But for heating water for coffee or cup a noodle type cuisine, the Esbit rules.
Flyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:04 PM   #57
gunslinger
diabolical schemer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvb1019
+1 MSR Whisperlight International!

20+ years and never an issue while riding or backpacking.

Keep in mind, nothing sucks more than having a hot meal after a day of riding in the rain.

Bottom line- get what you can afford and always make sure you test your stove before you leave home. Nothing's worse than a stove that craps out on you when you need it the most.
+1 on the testing of the stove. lol. i brought a coleman propane single burner on a hike years ago and we got it out in camp the first night while raining all day, and it would only light and stay lit UPSIDE DOWN. lol. we ate cold beans and 100grands for dinner .......

you know, after this thread, i got my stoves out and ran em all. im still touting the MSR pocket rocket. lightweight, lights in a halfasecond, and uses the ready available fuel cans. my international is just a pain to prime and light every time. especially with unleaded - and SOOTY. blah. pocket rocket rules!
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:54 AM   #58
el tortuga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjava
Wow that's a blast from the past!
I had one in the 70's and lost track of it and forgot all about them. I'm glad you brought that up I may have to gat another one just bacause.
All the new stoves on the market sure make me wish my SVEA would stop working.
I dusted it off last week for a trip and it still works like it did when I bought in nineteen hundred and seventy four - sonny !

It's no prom queen but it's damned reliable.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
el tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #59
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
my experience with the Whisperlite Internationale is that it burned clean with white fuel, but gas was a sooty mess. My frend has the Dragonfly and found the same thing. Both worked great on our recent west coast states trip, though the Internationale was way quieter than the Dragonfly.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:15 AM   #60
SourcetoSea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Optimus Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammin
We'd led trips for years using all manner of stoves, but that Optimus Nova stove is pretty damn nice. We almost picked up one when we went down the Mississippi, but cheaped out and took one of our propane one-burners for some damn reason. God that was miserable.

For personal use - alcohol stoves 99% of the time. Idiot-proof, but not the fastest things to use. My favorite is a cut-up refried bean can stove that I made during my Appalachian Trail thru-hike. It's a zen stove, Grasshopper!

Group and Winter trips - Optimist Nova. Great design, great performance. Heavy and expensive, but what the hell.

I've got 3 incarnations of MSR stoves in the closet, and the Nova outperforms them all. Seems to deal better with funky gas too for some reason.

www.SourceToSea.net
SourcetoSea is offline   Reply With Quote