Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2008, 12:07 AM   #76
isa671
blah blah blah....

Oddometer: 263
+1 On the Primus Optimus Nova Multifuel stove http://www.rei.com/product/752658 I've used this stove on multiple trips in the middle of nowhere and it burns everything not to mention it's built like a friggin tank! The jets are easy to replace and the parts are easily replaceable. If you want to make it even more bombproof, it easily fits in an Otterbox 3500 container w/foam!

http://www.optimus.se/index.php?opti...d=14&Itemid=33

Science is one cold hearted bitch with a 14 inch strap on. -Masuka (Dexter)
isa671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:11 AM   #77
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAL
Dragonfly all the way.
Very versatile and will run on near anything.
Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #78
killurtv
free range moron

Oddometer: 640
I am chiming in with either the Jet Boil, MSR Reactor or the MSR Pocket Rocket. As a climber/mountaineer I have found these to be dependable. The Pocket Rocket is your best bang for your buck - around $30 USD, boils a quart of water in under 3 minutes. I have used at 17000 feet and still worked awesome.
killurtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #79
Zombie73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Esbit

These are great for small go-bags, or something where desperation is a motivator. I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet though. Hasn't anyone smelled the tabs after awhile? That smell can go through any bag and it is more then horrible! Concealing one in the flower pot of a nasty motel clerk is about the only use I have found for the tabs these days

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyred
+1 for the Esbit. I have owned a Svea 123 for 35 years and it still works great. But for heating water for coffee or cup a noodle type cuisine, the Esbit rules.
Zombie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #80
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMule
I've tried several dual fuel stoves over the years and still really prefer the coleman. All of them will burn sooty with gasoline. I use white gas essentially all the time but have had to use gas a time or two in a pinch. I might recommend filling it up with white gas at the start of the trip, that little tank lasts a long time, and then reverting to gasoline if you need to.

Todd

My tactic, also. I have a venerable Svea. It has no pump, so to get fuel flowing it must be heated a bit. I use an eye dropper to squirt a bit of fuel onto the stove and light. the heat starts the fuel flowing, but you also get a brief nova of campfire that adds a bit of excitement, if amigos are not prepared.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #81
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie73
These are great for small go-bags, or something where desperation is a motivator. I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet though. Hasn't anyone smelled the tabs after awhile? That smell can go through any bag and it is more then horrible! Concealing one in the flower pot of a nasty motel clerk is about the only use I have found for the tabs these days

Z
Depends what kind of tablets you're using, there are probably half a dozen different ones. I like the coughlans because you can fit 12 of them in the stove while its collapsed. Also because its $2 for 24 tablets. The esbit branded ones offer you less for more $ and they don't burn any longer or hotter, at least not enough for it to really matter.

I only use it to make a cup of coffee in the morning or a tea in the evening when i don't feel like unpacking my stove or using the jetboil.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:50 PM   #82
Matt the Wanderer
Supremely Not Lost

Oddometer: 266
USSR Made

I am currently using a Russian Army gas stove which runs great on the gas from my fuel tank. One note: while the warmup flame throws soot, once the unit is up to heat is burns absolutely clean. It boils water FAST and can crank out some serious cooking power, just don't expect it to simmer anything. It is the old primer style so I carry an eye dropper to fill the preheat pan.
One advantage is the wonderful sound it makes: sort of reminds you of a MiG on full afterburner.
It is a little heavy, but the ruggedness makes up for it.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:45 AM   #83
Zombie73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
esbit

What kind do you use? I wouldn't mind finding some that don't smell like road kill!

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
Depends what kind of tablets you're using, there are probably half a dozen different ones. I like the coughlans because you can fit 12 of them in the stove while its collapsed. Also because its $2 for 24 tablets. The esbit branded ones offer you less for more $ and they don't burn any longer or hotter, at least not enough for it to really matter.

I only use it to make a cup of coffee in the morning or a tea in the evening when i don't feel like unpacking my stove or using the jetboil.
Zombie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #84
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,837
I considered the MSR Whisperlite but for motorcycle use, I think the Coleman Exponent 442 is a better choice. You don't need an external fuel source, they don't leak fuel or fumes, they have enough capacity for a weekend, simmer well, starts well at -20 F and up (by my experience with the 400 - didn't need paste), and still made in the USA. Got a 20% off coupon at REI so it was only $52.

The MSR stoves are better for backpacking, but this model is lighter than the old 400 series I have, so it's only a few ounces to deal with. Hope I get to use this one as much as the last one!

P.S. The 400 simmers better than the 442. The burner rings are different, so I'm going to swap them and see how that works - the rings are $5.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

garandman screwed with this post 10-14-2008 at 01:34 PM
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #85
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
Another vote for the Optimus Nova!

$140 at REI.

It's not cheap, but it will be the last stove you will ever buy. I've used the hell out of mine. If you need more fuel and you are out in the middle of Bufu you just siphon some fuel out of your bike, a car, a diesel tractor -ANYTHING. Why would anyone want to mess around with disposable propane bottles? The only thing that I own that uses disposable propane bottles is my garage heater and I refill them myself with the handy-dandy Harbor freight adapter kit from a larger propane tank.

This stove not only burns anything, but you can simmer or BOIL like mad at full throttle. No changing jets, and it is easy to clean. The only real drawback is the price (at $140 it is much more than most everything on the market) and the noise. It's kind of loud -not as loud as some of the others, but still, not whisper quiet like an alcohol stove. I just want to COOK fast and get it over with -especially when I need to boil water when hiking. An alcohol stove is unsuited for this.

As for the price, since this stove is nearly indestructible and burns ANYTHING you will save money in the long run. No expensive fuel to buy, no disposable propane bottles to have to pack out with you, you don't even have to use that expensive coleman fuel which you need to buy at least a quart of at a time at $5-6 (sometimes more in some hiking areas where they know you NEED it bad). You can fill it up right from the gas pump for a buck. Or you can siphon gas right out of your bike's gas tank.

I keep my stove and fuel bottle in its own pocket in my pillion bag so it isn't near anything else as any stove will be stinky/dirty. But this stove is much less messy than others because of the neat flip bottle. Just let it burn out after flipping. If you are so cheap that you can't bear to waste $.02 of fuel letting it burn down that last minute then you can use your brain and turn it over when you are almost done.

One bottle of fuel will last a LONG time if you are just cooking. IF you are boiling water for yourself and a few other hikers, it goes faster but it is still a miser.

I love mine, I wouldn't go back to any propane-bottle stove or mess with an alcohol stove again. This little Optimus folds down to almost nothing (legs fold in) and packs in its own little black cordura case, and it is as easy and simple to cook on as the burner on your stove inside your own home.

At $140 I call that a bargain.

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #86
McMaster
Any Direction Anytime

Oddometer: 298
Jet Boil

If your not using a jetboil your just making excuses for being stupid!
Old 10-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #87
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMaster
Chained to a proprietary, hard to find everywhere, expensive as hell, disposable fuel canister?

Sounds like an excuse to be stupid to me!

Old 10-10-2008, 12:05 PM   #88
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
Chained to a proprietary, hard to find everywhere, expensive as hell, disposable fuel canister?

Sounds like an excuse to be stupid to me!
There you go again
Don't confuse yourself with the facts. Not the proprietary part anyway. And I don't think that hard to find or expensive. IMHO.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #89
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjava
There you go again
Don't confuse yourself with the facts. Not the proprietary part anyway. And I don't think that hard to find or expensive. IMHO.
Not hard to find as long as you are in a camp store. VERY hard to find in the middle of a farmer's field. Now, with my Nova, I can just loot that farmer's tractor over there of a cup of diesel oil and then go boil my water...

(if you have issues with stealing like I do, you can just leave a dollar bill inside the tractor's tool box to assuage your guilt)

On the motorcycle, I've always got a cup of gasoline to spare so I don't have to worry about scrounging it like when I'm backpacking.

So, in comparison, that damn special fuel cylinder made by JetBoil(tm) is DAMN hard to find!

Old 10-19-2008, 11:42 AM   #90
Csavargó
Industrialist-hippy

Oddometer: 152
Booo Proprietary fuel source

Im very happy being stupid.

+1 msr whisperlite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMaster

1995 BMW R1100gs
1993 Yamaha XT350
1990 Suzuki VX800
2006 Brunton Stalker

Free GusGus Now!
Csavargó is offline   Reply With Quote