Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csavargó
Booo Proprietary fuel source

Im very happy being stupid.

+1 msr whisperlite.
+1 for stupidity.

And you may as well hit me up for the Dragonfly's apparent lack of simmering capability.

I sure haven't found any problems with getting a fine flame.

alGARDNER
alexandergardner.com

flickr

--

WANT TO SAVE $5 ON SMUGMUG? USE MY COUPON! - raflgiWZAtPVY
JustAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:06 AM   #92
R6 Andy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I see its already been mentioned but I can't recommend a better stove than a multi fuel MSR cooker. I've used mine in Kosovo, Iraq and Bosnia and other more friendly places around the world and it never left me wanting.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #93
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,805
Thanks to eBay, I now have a Coleman Exponent 442, my old Coleman 400, and a new MSR Whisperlight Internationale. Comparative low-altitude review forthcoming.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #94
chefGSpot
Wandering aimlessly

Oddometer: 97
Nova

I would have to agree with everyone on the Optimus Nova. I've used mine a bunch here in Iraq and during our workup to get here. Used a bunch of different fuels (Diesel, JP8, DF2 etc etc) and had great performance out of them all (except the DF2 tends to build up alot of carbon). Used it in everything from 20 degree weather to 140 and it always performed. It's expensive to start out with but you definitely get your money's worth from it. Like it's already been said, you can flip the fuel bottle over, let the lines clear and then pack it away without the mess. Keep the fuel bottle outside of your bags and you should have no worries. Different strokes for different folks but that's my .02.

Chris
Sgt USMC
Western Iraq
chefGSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:38 PM   #95
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csavargó
Booo Proprietary fuel source

Im very happy being stupid.

+1 msr whisperlite.
its not proprietary at all, the only thing proprietary is the size so it can fit inside the pot, but any cartridge will thread onto the jetboil. Oh, the snowpeak small cartridges are the same size as the jetboil and fit in it just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAL
+1 for stupidity.

And you may as well hit me up for the Dragonfly's apparent lack of simmering capability.

I sure haven't found any problems with getting a fine flame.
mine simmers well.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #96
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
its not proprietary at all, the only thing proprietary is the size so it can fit inside the pot, but any cartridge will thread onto the jetboil. Oh, the snowpeak small cartridges are the same size as the jetboil and fit in it just fine.

mine simmers well.
Can you buy a snowpeak or a jetboil cartridge at Joe's filling station? No, you are going to have to go to a specialty camping/backpacking/outdoors store to buy replacement fuel for your granola-cooker every few days as you RUN OUT of that itty-bitty bottle. I'll just be siphoning gas out of my bike...

Spend more than a few days on the road and you'll wish you didn't have to work so hard feeding that jet boil, when instead IT should be working feeding YOU.

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:21 AM   #97
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
Can you buy a snowpeak or a jetboil cartridge at Joe's filling station? No, you are going to have to go to a specialty camping/backpacking/outdoors store to buy replacement fuel for your granola-cooker every few days as you RUN OUT of that itty-bitty bottle. I'll just be siphoning gas out of my bike...

Spend more than a few days on the road and you'll wish you didn't have to work so hard feeding that jet boil, when instead IT should be working feeding YOU.
I've spent YEARS away from home, but thanx. Obviously the jetboil, like anything else has its ups and downs and its uses. I do own plenty of other stoves in addition to the jetboil. That tiny canister lasts a week, even two if its just you using it. Last year during a campout I was boiling water for tea and hot chocolate for a lady friend and myself, it was VERY cold that night and all of a sudden I had a crowd around me shivering and demanding tea and hot chocolate. I used the jetboil practically non stop for a few hours and pumped out probably 50 cups of tea and hot chocolate (we snatched a bunch of cups from the coffee machine at the entrance just before they closed for the night as well as a shitload of hot chocolate packets and tea bags)

Next morning I boiled enough water for oatmeal for 6 and the canister wasn't even close to empty.

so that jetboil does last quite sometime, plenty of time to find a place to grab another canister or three during your trip, if your going out for an extended time, bring a second one with you, if you're truly paranoid, bring your liquid powered stove instead of in addition to the jetboil.

oh and I also carry a $5 esbit stove and 24 tablets, 12 of which are in the stove and the other 12 are in a case the size of a deck of cards, most of the time this is a just in case use item, but I've used it in hotels to make a cup of coffee in the morning instead of using a jetboil....even though I had the jetboil with me.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #98
Delta Derelict
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Optimus SVEA123 + Sigg Tourist cook set

Before the KLR was invented, the SVEA123 was known as the Volkswagan beetle of back pack stoves. The sigg set has a wind screen/pot support that accepts the naked SVEA and solves the "stability problem" for us clutsey campers. The Sigg tourist set is no longer manufactured but can be had easy enough on ebay.
Delta Derelict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:10 AM   #99
eradock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Lightweight is good

Check out www.traildesigns.com

I really like my ti-tri titanium cone stove. Very lightweight and I can use esbit, alcohol or wood.

I also use an MSR Whisperlight and used to use a SVEA but the ti-tri is my current favorite.
eradock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:35 PM   #100
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 832
it's easy...

get a dragonfly. check it out at REI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Way
Looking to buy a camp stove for the Strom, any suggestions??
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:01 AM   #101
STROH80
Emerald backroads

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveToTravelFar
get a dragonfly. check it out at REI.
Used mine for years....even runs on STROH!

Support the AMA.

01 K1200LTi Blue 66k Still Going Off Road

08 R1200GS Adv 'Johny 5 the dancing hippo'
STROH80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #102
Drewdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Whisperlite Int'l

Why carry more of different flammable liquids than necessay? Plus using refillable fuel bottles is way better for the environment.
Drewdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:45 AM   #103
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Bought an MSR Whisperlite last year for a 2 week riding trip.

I've always used a Coleman Propane/Butane mix stove for weekend hiking trips, but I wanted to go with something that would burn unleaded because I wasn't sure about getting hold of gas canisters in mainland Europe and didn't want to carry enough for the trip with me.

I put a dry-break connector in the fuel line on the bike, and carried another bit of fuel hose with a female connector on one end that I could connect to get fuel from the tank into the MSR bottle.

The MSR has been great - although we should have tried lighting it before we left.
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #104
keithm1
the bestest

Oddometer: 56
after reading through this thread im going to go with the coleman myself thanks lads for all the advice
keithm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:07 AM   #105
MooseBuilt
MoooooooooOOSE!

Oddometer: 144
Jetboil

like them mainly because it's compact and although i like MSR liquid fuel is messy unless youre overseas and then yeah, do the XGK.
also, plastic bowl is nice with a LONG plastic spoon. never had much use for forks or spoons, metal that is..
anyhow, long time camper here....
I don't like jetboil below about -10 degrees, the fuel canisters get iffy... then it's liquid fuel only...
other than that,,, enjoy my 2 cents

Retired CRF450X TRX450ER Superhawk 996(3) XR650L(2) XR650R(2) CBR900 XR650R Motarded ZX600
MooseBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote