ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
GaelicDog OP
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
KTM 990 erratic idle

Basics: 2007 KTM 990 Adventure EFI, 10,000 miles, Akro's, pre-filter.

Bike has run flawless until last week, and the issues are sparatic:

Crank bike, 2500 RPM's, after a minute or 2 it'll drop back to 1250 and idle perfect. Or crank it and get a perfect idle.

Riding down the road and pull the clutch in, bike will idle around 3000, may settle down to 2000 or so, may not.

Stop at traffic light, bike has a really fast idle 2000 to 3000. Hit kill switch, recrank bike and it's a perfect 1250 again.

????????????????
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,767
Mines the opposite. Erratic idle the it dies. Ride on the highway and pull in the clutch to shift gears and it dies. Start it back up and it idles fine. Ride it pull in the clutch and it dies. All of a sudden it stops and runs great. i have it in the shop and they say it's the rectifier not charging the battery fully. I'll let you know if it's fixed. It should be done today after two weeks of them working on it.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
GaelicDog OP
Lesser of Two Weasels

I remember ready someone's post about a bike about a year old and had idle issues and it was the battery. I could not find that post and do not even remember if it's the KTM or not.

Mine runs great, just idling weird all of the sudden. I would "ASSUME" that a vacuum leak is a vacuum leak, the weirdness should be constant. Nothing a flip of the kill and start button should effect. I am thinking the battery possibly and the bike is sensing the battery dying. I am going to trickle charge it and see if there is any difference.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
1 Bored Clerk
Mama, I'm goin fast!

Oddometer: 11
Dealer (and maybe the manual) told my dad to never use the kill switch as it screws with the computer. Leave the kill switch on and use the key only. Sounded weird to me but they were adamant about it. Probably totally unrelated to your issue but I thought I'd toss it out there.
1 Bored Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:06 AM   #5
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog
Mines the opposite. Erratic idle the it dies. Ride on the highway and pull in the clutch to shift gears and it dies. Start it back up and it idles fine. Ride it pull in the clutch and it dies. All of a sudden it stops and runs great. i have it in the shop and they say it's the rectifier not charging the battery fully. I'll let you know if it's fixed. It should be done today after two weeks of them working on it.
I'm having the same issue, I was in today and the mechs couldn't find any fault codes and couldn't reproduce the stall (of course, even though I literally stalled pulling up to the garage door.). I've got FMF pipes with the stock EFI map, so I'm thinking try a new map??? Seems to happen about half the time I pull in the clutch and chop the throttle (like, coming to a stop). Does this sound reasonable to you gurus?
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:03 AM   #6
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog
Basics: 2007 KTM 990 Adventure EFI, 10,000 miles, Akro's, pre-filter.

Bike has run flawless until last week, and the issues are sparatic:

Crank bike, 2500 RPM's, after a minute or 2 it'll drop back to 1250 and idle perfect. Or crank it and get a perfect idle.

Riding down the road and pull the clutch in, bike will idle around 3000, may settle down to 2000 or so, may not.

Stop at traffic light, bike has a really fast idle 2000 to 3000. Hit kill switch, recrank bike and it's a perfect 1250 again.

????????????????
checked the throttle cables for binding ?

battery charge level good ?

airfilter seated properly ?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:31 AM   #7
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor
I'm having the same issue, I was in today and the mechs couldn't find any fault codes and couldn't reproduce the stall (of course, even though I literally stalled pulling up to the garage door.). I've got FMF pipes with the stock EFI map, so I'm thinking try a new map??? Seems to happen about half the time I pull in the clutch and chop the throttle (like, coming to a stop). Does this sound reasonable to you gurus?
Thats it. Mine did the same thing. Stalled the whole way there then ran great. Thgey got it to do it on the bench but there are no codes. First they told me they had to do a full service because they said the valves could make it stall. Then they said it was my xm radio, autocom, and anything else I had wired into the acc harness. Now it's that the charging system is not charging at a high enough voltage. Hopefully thats it. Just curious though. Does yours do it more when it's really hot out or all the time?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:41 AM   #8
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog
Thats it. Mine did the same thing. Stalled the whole way there then ran great. Thgey got it to do it on the bench but there are no codes. First they told me they had to do a full service because they said the valves could make it stall. Then they said it was my xm radio, autocom, and anything else I had wired into the acc harness. Now it's that the charging system is not charging at a high enough voltage. Hopefully thats it. Just curious though. Does yours do it more when it's really hot out or all the time?
It seems to be pretty random, I can't predict when it's gonna stall. Sometimes it's fine, but I've also had the engine die at 60 mph after a quick brake for a deer or something. Not good. Over the 5000 miles trip hom (sweet... ) my riding has a adapted to it so I keep a touch of right hand on the throttle when stopping, but sometimes it's the fast stops or really slow speed manuvers where I stall.

It usually idles fine when I fire the bike up, the problem seems to develop down the road a ways, but it doesn't seem related to outside temp.

Another note for you: I have zero electronic gadgets sucking power. There's one BMW style outlet, but nothing plugged into it.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #9
GaelicDog OP
Lesser of Two Weasels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Vicks
checked the throttle cables for binding ?

battery charge level good ?

airfilter seated properly ?

New airfilter with about 750 miles on it, clean as a whistle and seated.
Pre-filter checked, spotless.

Put the battery on the trickle charger last night. It charged heavy for about 5 minutes then switched over to trickle.

Bike ran like a champ this morning! I am guessing battery issues starting. Maybe a cell dying. I am going to put a new battery in it and check all connections when I do.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:50 AM   #10
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Then you have something to look foward to. Mine did it once or twice and pretty random. Then it started doing it more and more till it was every ride. I wouldn't know when it would start but once it started it would not stop until the bike sat for awhile. I am really really hoping that they did fix it but it just doesn't seem like the rectifier would cause it to stall at random, it seems like it would be all the time if the bike was not charging and I would have starting problems. I'll let you know how it goes when I pick it up today.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #11
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
RE: OP's problem

costamarques had what sounds like virtually the same problem a while ago with his 990 ADV. He reported that it was a bad battery. When he replaced it the high idle problem disappeared.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318406

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #12
marin ktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Mine did the exact same thing...got worse and more frequent over a couple of months.

Then I adjusted the clutch lever out a little (longer reach to the lever). It has idled perfectly ever since. Just turn that little red knob a turn or two. I bet you will be happy. There is a switch there that tells the ECU that the clutch is dissengaged. It keeps the rpms up around 1400. On my bike it seems to take a full, long pull of the lever to push the little plunger in on the switch. And don't leave any fingers in between the lever and the grip. It would be a problem for some one with small hands, but it works for me. CPmodem suggested it...thanks.

I am so happy now. That was the one problem with my bike. Since I did that, it has been perfect for 120 miles or so of stop and go commute traffic.

marin ktm screwed with this post 08-29-2008 at 11:18 AM
marin ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #13
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin ktm
Mine did the exact same thing...got worse and more frequent over a couple of months.

Then I adjusted the clutch lever out a little (longer reach to the lever). It has idled perfectly ever since. Just turn that little red knob a turn or two. I bet you will be happy. There is a switch there that tells the ECU that the clutch is dissengaged. It keeps the rpms up around 1400. On my bike it seems to take a full, long pull of the lever to push the little plunger in on the switch. And don't leave any fingers in between the lever and the grip. It would be a problem for some one with small hands, but it works for me. CPmodem suggested it...thanks.

I am so happy now. That was the one problem with my bike. Since I did that, it has been perfect for 120 miles or so of stop and go commute traffic.
I'll try that! It'd be great if it were a small problem so easily (and cheaply) fixed! Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #14
injun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Idle thought's

Oxygen sensors ? along with the clutch lever, have issues with both if you have the plugs that come with the power comander use them no more hunting idle speed during elevation or tempertature changes worked for me
injun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:13 AM   #15
Mad Kaw Disease
Dual Sport Diseased

Oddometer: 534
I had similar issues with my new 990 right off the showroom floor. Also, when I would start mine and let it idle it would after a minute or two it would just die.

I also had the stalling at stops.

After a few weeks, I started having intermittent starting issues too.

My bike had sat on the showroom floor for a full year before I bought it and a salesman confided in me that the battery had gone totally dead twice. I made them install a new battery and suddenly no issues at all.

"I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life and I fell off...." Little Fauss
Mad Kaw Disease is offline   Reply With Quote