ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 03:07 PM   #76
k7 OP
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,554
Back from vacation - looks like young Matt was sent back to AAA. I guess his average of about .191 wasn't enough to keep him up. Here's to hoping he earns another shot!
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #77
ScorpioVI
Some people juggle geese.
 
ScorpioVI's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 490
I volunteer as a rangemaster right next door to the Giants stadium. Maybe I should watch a game one of these days...
ScorpioVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #78
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 73,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
Back from vacation - looks like young Matt was sent back to AAA. I guess his average of about .191 wasn't enough to keep him up. Here's to hoping he earns another shot!
Sorry to hear that. Hope he gets another shot. But now he has memories that very few people have.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #79
k7 OP
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Sorry to hear that. Hope he gets another shot. But now he has memories that very few people have.
It appears that he's still on the 40-man rooster. I'm not sure exactly what that means but it certainly means more money even at AAA.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #80
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 39,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
It appears that he's still on the 40-man rooster. I'm not sure exactly what that means but it certainly means more money even at AAA.
And that he has a pretty good chance at being called up in September when the teams expand their roster. Each team can carry 40 players-- 25 on the active roster (until Sept) and 15 on their AAA team. Is a step in the right direction. When Matt went up, the Giants had to "buy his contract" from Fresno--- even though he was already a Giant property. Is confusing, I've been reading some on it and really barely grasp it. But, yes, being on the 40 man roster, is a good thing.

Dang-- and I have Rockies/Giants tickets in August. Was hoping to see him play.
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.


Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:10 PM   #81
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 39,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1150GSA
How dare you sully this pristine thread with such a vulgar reference?

How dare you?

I attended for the spectacle. I will say, I much prefer the games without the spectacle. Good ball, good crowd...

This year will be a new record for me, about a dozen minor league games. And five Major league games. (Going up for Dodger-Rocks in August)

Baseball Fever.

I've caught it.

Jurgen
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.


Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:41 AM   #82
k7 OP
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen
And that he has a pretty good chance at being called up in September when the teams expand their roster. Each team can carry 40 players-- 25 on the active roster (until Sept) and 15 on their AAA team. Is a step in the right direction. When Matt went up, the Giants had to "buy his contract" from Fresno--- even though he was already a Giant property. Is confusing, I've been reading some on it and really barely grasp it. But, yes, being on the 40 man roster, is a good thing.

Dang-- and I have Rockies/Giants tickets in August. Was hoping to see him play.
Right you are - his mom sent me an email this morning and he was in fact called back up again and is headed to Atlanta. I guess someone got dinged up a bit.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #83
R1150GSA
Saint "Alloy"sius
 
R1150GSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Bucks County, PA
Oddometer: 26,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
Right you are - his mom sent me an email this morning and he was in fact called back up again and is headed to Atlanta. I guess someone got dinged up a bit.


We do not pray for the misfortune of others. We simply remain vigilant that our own fortunes might take root.
__________________
IBA #17734
R1150GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #84
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 39,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
Right you are - his mom sent me an email this morning and he was in fact called back up again and is headed to Atlanta. I guess someone got dinged up a bit.
Well he better be still up (and play) when Jurgen goes to the Rocks/Giants in late August.

Jurgen
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.


Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #85
k7 OP
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen
Well he better be still up (and play) when Jurgen goes to the Rocks/Giants in late August.

Jurgen
He's just not hitting well - if something doesn't give, he'll get sent down again. They beat the Rockies tonight and he was 0 for the night. I think he connected everytime but nothings falling.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:32 PM   #86
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 73,246
I watched him for an at-bat against the Braves. He couldn't get down a sac bunt.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #87
k7 OP
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
I watched him for an at-bat against the Braves. He couldn't get down a sac bunt.
Yep - watching the box scores is painful too. I wish he were doing better and can only hope that something 'clicks'.

I read an article that mentioned he moved from pitching to the infield and won a starting position during his senior year at college. His average, for the first half of the season was only 200 but something clicked and he batted 300+ for the rest of that season.

Unfortuately, the Giants can't wait much longer and he'd probably benefit with more AAA at-bats than sitting on the bench watching the game from there.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:58 AM   #88
k7 OP
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,554
As expected, Matt was sent back to Fresno last night. I don't think he truly expected to be up any longer than he was & hopefully, his bat will come around at the AAA level.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:51 PM   #89
R1150GSA
Saint "Alloy"sius
 
R1150GSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Bucks County, PA
Oddometer: 26,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
As expected, Matt was sent back to Fresno last night. I don't think he truly expected to be up any longer than he was & hopefully, his bat will come around at the AAA level.


I have a feeling he'll be back.
__________________
IBA #17734
R1150GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #90
k7 OP
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1150GSA
I have a feeling he'll be back.
I think so too. Keep in mind that while he's a little older than most AAA guys, he really hasn't been playing a skilled position that long. Heck, there were two years in college where he didn't take any at-bats as a pitcher. He's gone far in a short-period and hopefully, this isn't the end.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014