Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
spikespiegel OP
my knobbies are slicks

Oddometer: 13
TV series looking to motorbike in Scotland - need help

Greetings!

We produce an adventure travel series called Road Less Traveled which airs on Discovery Channel, National geographic, and plenty of other broadcasters worldwide. Please find more info at http://www.sd-media.net/clients

Each of our episode is based on a particular country/region and we are all about finding the unique, unknown and hidden side of things.

We're planning on doing a motorcycle tour through Scotland and we wanted to feature interesting stops along the route. Hidden, interesting, hard to find distilleries would be a big attraction for us, but we have NO idea where to begin!

I was contacting you to see if anyone local (or an expert) would be interested in helping us out. We would be more than happy to feature you on camera, if you have a tour group, give you guys exposure, etc. in return for guidance and helping us storyboard /coordinate this shoot.

Post up here if interested. We're looking to film at the end of this month so it is a bit urgent. Many many thanks!
spikespiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:53 PM   #2
budsin1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Applecross!

It's not necessarily hidden, but Applecross was a gem on our Scottish tour 2 years ago. We didn't have time to do the Isle of Skye, but the "back roads" from Applecross to Inverness were our favorite part of the country. Ever changing landscapes and almost no traffic -- was superb!

Good luck on the shoot and hopefully some locals chime in. :)
budsin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:02 AM   #3
chris2604
n00b

Oddometer: 2
First question is how long do you have to tour, this'll determine the route. I'd recommend some, or all, of the following. Easy enough to find interesting and unusual spots along the way.......

Glasgow to Fort William via Loch Lomond
Fort William to Mallaig and then ferry onto Isle of Skye
Back onto mainland via bridge and up to Applecross
Applecross to Ullapool via coastal route
Ullapool to Durness / Tongue / Dunnet Head (Orkneys and Shetland?)
Down to Inverness and then on to Pitlochry via Braemar
Down through Perthshire with a few stops in Fife and onto Edinburgh
Edinburgh to Hawick / Borders
chris2604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
spikespiegel OP
my knobbies are slicks

Thanks for the feedback guys! We have 5- 7 days max to do our shoot and i'll paste some direct feedback from the host/producers ' s wishlist:
----------
Jonny goes on a tour to discover the best scotch whiskey you never heard of:...

1. Three scotch whisky brands that are largely unknown in America that have super picturesque distilleries (eg. A castle clinging to a rugged cliff)

2. Super picturesque, rural (dirt roads through the forest and over rolling hills) routes that connect those distilleries (more or less.. doesn't have to connect them in a straight line... as long as we are generally headed in the right direction). Even better if the route has some historical significance or passes by locations with historical significance (e.g. "This is the road William Wallace took on his way to battle the English army" or "This field we are passing is where William Wallace battled the English army")

3. Since this is out central driving purposewe can scoop up smaller, less "stand alone" tidbits along the way. (ie. "On the way to XYZ distillery I stop into ZYX restaurant to get the original XZZ dish, still made by hand by miss YYY)

Perhaps we can take those bikes as well to this interesting, segment found on the doc:

Wes Craven's Hills Have Eyes, which inspired a genre of horror films apparently based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawney_Bean in Scotland. We will want to interview a historian at some university or an author (location in UK doesn’t matter) about this story. Then I want to visit this cave with my mystic/psychic in tow. Using their powers and my knowledge we’ll try to piece together exactly what happened there… cue scooby doo creepy music. Ideally it can be an adventure to get there: Gotta ride the motorcycle through rough terrain
Must get ropes and rappel down
Must jump in the water
or
Using the coasteering skills I learned in Wales secure a rope so the rest of the team can get down..

=========

PS, if someone wants to tag along on our journey and is fine with being on camera (or not) we're happy to have you along.. We'll also pay your way (food/hotel/gas) so chime in, but please do know the area, we'll rely on your expertise and please do bring some ideas that you can help us string together..

Many thanks!
Old 08-17-2014, 11:43 PM   #5
John933
GSX 1400

Oddometer: 153
You should have a great time there. Not to tell you your job. But Googol is your friend in the way of finding motor bike club's in Scotland. I'm sorry to say that I live in the south of the UK, so will be of no help to you. Take some fly spray or budget for buying load's. You can be eaten alive once the insects are up and flying. Do you know just how big Scotland is?

As one of my collages has said the ride to Fort William is an eye opener. I have posted a map for you to look at. Nearly all of what you are looking for is on this route. A visit to the local Tourist information centre will bring a treasure trove of useful knowledge. Use them that's what they are there for. If they don't know, you can bet they will know someone who douse. If it don't rain your idea sound's grand.

Wish you well.
John933
Attached Images

John933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:25 AM   #6
Diddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
fort william to Ardnamurchan Lighthouse

Ardnamurchan Lighthouse is the furthest west you can get on mainland UK. It also happens to be an amazing ride from fort William via A830, A861 and the B8007. Good fun and lovely quiet roads. Also please don’t list John O'Groats as the furthest northerly point of the mainland! It’s NOT! That would be Dunnet Head! Just something that ticks me off with documentary makers.
Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #7
spikespiegel OP
my knobbies are slicks

thanks for the info guys. But we're looking for someone who can tag along with us and sort of coordinate things for us with a plan. Any one game? We'll pay for your fuel/meals/hotels for the 5 days! Post up!
Old 08-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
Herman1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Maybe contact Craig here: http://www.advscotland.com/ top chap
Old 08-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
chris2604
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Ok, if it's ghosts and whisky you're after, I'd probably do the following......

Visit Glenkinchie distillery and take in St Mary's close in Edinburgh (street blocked off due to plague), or nearby where the body snatchers (Burke and Hare) did their business. Can also visit Roslyn chapel which is haunted as well as starring in the DaVinci code

Then up to Pitlochry to visit Erdradour, the smallest distillery in Scotland. You could check out the soldiers leap and haunted battlefield at Killiekrankie and I think nearby grandtully castle is also haunted

Then Up to Speyside where most distilleries are located. You could then head over to Inverness and visit Culloden moor - battlefield where Bonnie Prince Charlie lost to the English and quite an atmospheric place where ghosts of dead soldiers are commonly seen apparently!
chris2604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:30 AM   #10
spikespiegel OP
my knobbies are slicks

Amazing info Chris, thanks SO much. We'll be sure to give ADVRIDER a special thanks credit mention in this episode! Anyone available and willing to ride with us from 25-30th? We're looking for a candidate to guide us along these routes, Chris maybe?
Old 08-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #11
ElleOn2Wheels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
If your dates are August, that's quite close! Sadly I'm at work.

I would suggest contacting Moto Scotland
http://www.motoscotland.com/tours/info_31.html

They run tours as well as provide the only off road training in Scotland. I'm sure they have contacts even if they can't tag along.

I'll mention this on the ABR forum if it hasn't already been done.
ElleOn2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:03 AM   #12
Diddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I would love to ride with you but it is a little short notice. In all honesty I don’t know much about the history of Scotland, just that the roads are lovely to ride. Oh and it's my wedding anniversary in the middle of that week so it probably wouldn’t go down well!!
Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #13
RanfG
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I'll do it. Can cop off work anytime, have bike will travel. I'm very well travelled in Scotland, live in Dundee and can go anytime but would need to be back by Sunday 31st as I have something on that day and can't miss it. PM on here or contact me personally, I'll pm my mobile number.
RanfG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #14
RanfG
n00b

I can go any time. Have bike will travel. Live on east coast of Scotland but know the whole country very well. Sent uou a pm with my number to contact.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #15
RanfG
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2604 View Post
First question is how long do you have to tour, this'll determine the route. I'd recommend some, or all, of the following. Easy enough to find interesting and unusual spots along the way.......

Glasgow to Fort William via Loch Lomond
Fort William to Mallaig and then ferry onto Isle of Skye
Back onto mainland via bridge and up to Applecross
Applecross to Ullapool via coastal route
Ullapool to Durness / Tongue / Dunnet Head (Orkneys and Shetland?)
Down to Inverness and then on to Pitlochry via Braemar
Down through Perthshire with a few stops in Fife and onto Edinburgh
Edinburgh to Hawick / Borders
Not exactly hodden gems most of them though are they.

The Glen elg ferry to Skye, the road to kinloch hourn, moulin moor to Pitlochry, the Letch to Grantown on spey, the laggan road to the dalwhinnie distillery etc