Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
KevinColorado OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Ireland... how's the riding

OK...

Anybody in Ireland... or who has ridden in Ireland... know how the riding is??? What's it like?? Is it restrictive?? Is it mostly dirt roads?? Or is there much off road exploring kinda riding???
KevinColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #2
Famous
Goin down hill fast

Oddometer: 220
That's a fairly big question

Can you narrow it down a bit?

Bike?

What are you looking for?

Exploring!

I wouldn't expect any new lost continents to be here that we haven't noticed.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
Ireland is about half the size of Georgia. If I was asked about the riding in north Georgia, I would say we have a few thousand of miles of dirt (gravel) roads with very limited law enforcement presence. Several hundred miles of them are in forest lands with no driveways. Most could be driven in a car, but some are rough enough that you would need 4WD.

We have perhaps a dozen or more OHV parks / areas, several of them private. Outside of those areas there is no legal single track, and if you are caught cutting across forest service land you will end up in Federal court and could lose your bike.

In the north central "mountainous" areas we have world class twisty roads, many of them well known and even more that rarely see traffic. Law enforcement is spotty, and if you keep it down on the straightaways, you should have no problems.

Law enforcement typically allows 10 mph over the limit on most roads. And even though the freeways are 55-65 mph, prevailing speeds are often 80 or more.

Back to Ireland. I get the impression there are very few unpaved roads. Is that correct?
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Frey Bentos
not listening

Oddometer: 649
There's plenty of us on here from ireland. The roads go from goat track to runway smooth in a matter of meters. The cops have now got speed cameras and prefer to lurk in ditches than go and solve real crimes and the scenery is pretty bloody nice.
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
Famous
Goin down hill fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey Bentos View Post
The cops have now got speed cameras and prefer to lurk in ditches.
That's the problem with having on snakes here
Old 07-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
g.arbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
No Forward Thinking

Bloody St. Patrick, very short sighted plan.
g.arbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #7
Famous
Goin down hill fast

?

G.arbo

Old 07-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
ChubbyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famous View Post
G.arbo

He's the guy in the avatar Famous, has been known to ride irish roads.Speaking of which I recommend long travel suspension for big days on mountain/rural roads.

ChubbyThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:21 AM   #9
ebel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Irish rider here.

Although Ireland is half the size of Georgia, it has been inhabited for much longer, so there's lots more roads and stuff around the place. You won't be (Bear Grylls did a "Stranded on the west coast of Ireland" episode, it was hilarious. They must have some creative camera angles). So you're not going to get "hundreds of miles of wilderness roads". There'll be little towns (and houses) scattered practically anywhere. Ireland, unlike the UK, doesn't really have strong planning laws, so there's houses built almost anywhere. Roads & signs are generally pretty good (yay for EU money), but there can be "national" roads that are quite narrow.

I don't know much about off roading or gravel/dirt tracks. I have a feeling there wouldn't be many of them.

The police sometimes have speed guns, but there aren't really any fixed unmanned speed camera. I don't know about speeding, I've never been caught. But enforcement of law is generally flexible. If you're pulled over by the cops be nice to them, let them give you a talking to and you'll probably be OK. Remember the police aren't armed here, so they're much less confrontantional. Ireland is a low crime country (all murders, even random gang killings) are reported on the national TV news (since they don't happen that much, only about 100 per year).

Here's some videos from a helmet camera from riding around Ireland: http://www.youtube.com/slashtomeu (Yes I know I should write up some ride reports).

For great scenery try anywhere on the west coast. I've been from Cork to Donegal, and it's all nice. My preference is the south west (cork & kerry). There isn't much in the midlands, just small farms and dull midland towns.

Don't believe most (?) you see on USA TV/films about Ireland. It's usually some misty-eyed romantic idea. yes we have paved roads and electricity and modernity and gay politicians (one even ran for president), and (former) women presidents. The "Irish accent" you hear on USA media is wrong aswell, no-one talks like that. "Irish-Americans" are starting to diverge cultarlly from actual Irish people. You'll find Irish people less likely to be big into shamrocks and leprechauns all the times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
Back to Ireland. I get the impression there are very few unpaved roads. Is that correct?
No, all the public roads are paved. Some that are really old and in the back arse or nowhere might be starting to degrade and be a bit gravelly and potholed.

ebel screwed with this post 07-09-2012 at 05:32 AM
ebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:30 AM   #10
RichardU
Let's Ride

Thanks ebel. Nice to have some actual footage. And congratulations on editing your footage to make it interesting. I love the little roads, but what strikes me most about your footage is the lack of trees. I'm not accustomed to that at all. It's nice to be able to see further than 100'.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #11
ebel
Adventurer

Quote:
And congratulations on editing your footage to make it interesting.
No problem, you have to avoid "Wedding video syndrome" ;) Though it was my husband (not on advrider) who did the actual editing. I just recorded it :)

Quote:
I love the little roads, but what strikes me most about your footage is the lack of trees. I'm not accustomed to that at all. It's nice to be able to see further than 100'.
Those are videos from the most extreme parts of the country, which are all barren and covered by bogs. Also most of those videos are over "mountains" in ireland. We don't really have any mountains in Ireland. However oddly enough all the 'mountains' (~ 600 metres) are beside the sea. So you can get nice views of riding down a mountain and seeing the ocean, or some crazy sea cliffs (we were in connaught recently and himself was looking at the map and wondering how you had a steep decent while going along the sea, yep, sea cliffs)

There aren't many natural forests left in Ireland (all cut down over the last 1,000 years). What trees there are would be specially cultivated forests (e.g. farmers are paid to turn a field into a forest). Hence, I don't think there are many roads that actually go through forests per se. There are sometimes roads like that, but not many.

ebel screwed with this post 07-09-2012 at 06:27 AM
Old 07-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #12
ebel
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebel View Post
Quote:
No, all the public roads are paved. Some that are really old and in the back arse or nowhere might be starting to degrade and be a bit gravelly and potholed.
Ah misread you. I thought you said "I get the impression there are no paved roads". Yes, you're right. there are not many unpaved roads.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #13
RichardU
Let's Ride

Quote:
There are not many unpaved roads.
Thanks for the clarification. My ancestry is 3/8 Irish, so I'm a bit curious about the "homeland."
Old 07-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #14
ebel
Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. My ancestry is 3/8 Irish, so I'm a bit curious about the "homeland."
FYI if you have an Irish gradparent, you are entitled to Irish citizenship, you don't have to live here at all (more info: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...r_descent.html or your local irish embassy ). Ireland lets people have multiple citizenship. Having an Irish passport means you (and you spouse and close family) can legally live and work in the European Union for as long as you want. Might be handy for you if you wanna do long term travel.

(Obviously if you wanna just be a tourist, you can go anywhere in Ireland and/or EU and everything's fine. Only advantage is if you wanna stay in Europe medium → long term)
Old 07-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #15
RichardU
Let's Ride

Quote:
FYI if you have an Irish gradparent, you are entitled to Irish citizenship
Wish I had known that a few years ago before my mother died. She had an Irish grandparent, but I do not. My father's grandfather was Swiss, and he checked into citizenship, but it was not available to him.