Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
mikepa OP
SideCzarist

Oddometer: 306
Yet Another GS Adventure Touring Sidecar (Totally Hacked!)

So many rides, so little time. It seems the only time I make the time to post to this great site is when I have yet another rig to announce. Once again, I'm Totally Hacked. Here we go . . . .

Some of you may remember that I starting guiding and touring again in 2006, driving the (then) newly commissioned UberHack 1.0:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112117

Piloting that rig, I've since completed a two-week tour in Japan, a long-haul from Beijing to Munich, another from Istanbul to Xi'an, and six weeks in six countries in southern Africa. It's been a fun ride, but I've learned a few things about sidehacks and rough roads, and also about the shortcomings of the R12GS when put to work as the "tug", pulling the hack's "tub".

The R12GS is a great leap forward in design and engineering, no doubt about it. However, in chasing the Holy Grail of lighter, better, faster, something was lost in overall robustness, at least when one takes this fine product and puts it in the harness of a sidehack. It has also lost a lot in the area of "field repairability".

As the motorcycle half of a sidecar combination, the R12GS's 1st gear is clutch-fryingly tall, and the 6th is almost too steep to roll on at speed. The transmission is weak (had one replaced under warranty, shattered two gears). It has stop-you-dead-in-the-tracks problems with the EWS Ring Antenna Module for the Engine Immobilizer System (to be fair, perhaps fixed as a result of a redesigned module). The brake system is a tough mother to work with if repairs are needed in the field. And let's face it, with the CAN-bus and all, installing electrical farkle isn't as straightforward as it used to be.

Am I starting to sound like a geezer/curmudgeon/old fart/Luddite? So be it.

To "fix" the problems with my 2005 R12GS, I put a 2008 R12GS Adventure on order. Larger fuel tank, a (surprise, surprise!) re-designed tranny with larger gears and shafts, the much desired lower "Enduro" 1st gear option, and higher output alternator.

While waiting for it to arrive, I had another rig built, using "old tech" German and Russian iron. I'm pleased to announce a new addition to the stable, UberHack 2.0:

This quasi-enduro-capable rig is the somewhat unnatural mating of a 2005 R1150 GS Adventure and an Ural tub. The work was done by Jay and his excellent technician Doug at Dauntless Motors in Enumclaw, WA. Note the significant ground clearance under the tub. This, coupled with its snub nose, allows a greater approach and break-over angle than the previous design.

Dauntless took a lot of extra care and effort in reinforcing their basic design. Note the custom bullbar/lightbar. The trailing link arm was fabricated from scratch to allow mounting a stock R1150GS cross-spoke wheel on the car, with a standard trailer-type stub axle and hub. The wheel carries a rotor, making an emergency swap with the bike's "pusher" a simple proposition. A stock OEM brake caliper was also mounted, with an independent brake pedal adjacent to the bike's, which allows one, or the other, or both to be operated in unison.

Note the big wheel/fender clearance. The car's windscreen was also bobbed to clear my elbow when weight-shifting in right-hand turns.

In place of the stock "combustible" non-vented aluminum "fuel canister", a NATO-style steel jerry can was mounted. Dauntless also fabricated and powder-coated the trunk rack.

Close-up of the jerry can and trunk rack.

Since I wear a prosthetic on my left leg (below-the-knee amputee), Doug did a super tight installation of a Pingel electric shifter. As a back-up in case of shifter failure, he also fabricated a massive "heel-heel" shift pedal that I can actuate without having to look down for "foot" placement.

I've only put a few hundred miles on UberHack 2.0 so far, but I'm totally impressed. So much so that I've cancelled the 2008 Adventure, and plan on building another rig (my 3rd so far) just like this one. I plan to take U'Hack 2.0 when I guide on the two-month long IndoChina Adventure with GlobeRiders later this year. With at least two long-haul tours a year on the books, one of these rigs spends a lot of time on the water, and I'd like to have another for riding at home here in the Great Pacific NorthWET.

More to come after I've gotten some serious "off-pavement" miles on the new/old design. So far, it's sweeeeeet! It'll look better with some dirt on it though . . . .

All the Best,
'04 BMW R1150GS Adventure/Ural "WarBird" (UberHack 3.0)
http://www.globeriders.com
Kenmore, WA
USA

"The world is a book and those that do not travel, read only a page." - St. Augustine

"...not all those that wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien
mikepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
HackyMoto
TEAMUSAGSTROPHY2012

Oddometer: 1,063

Kenmore, I grew-up in Kenmore in the '70s

Sponsor
alaskaleather.com

Join Smugmug save 5 bucks coupon(uADB4GsV1gfKM)
HackyMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:26 AM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,599
Beautiful bike Mike!

Please post more as you break it in!!!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
rider1150gsadv
€ Fl Keys Fishing Guide €

Oddometer: 5,912
Thumb

Wow what a nice rig!!! That is one of the best conversions I have seen with a 1150 GSA!!
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:19 AM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,590
Nice work!

We now have a forum just for Hacks like you!! Off to Hacks it goes.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:47 AM   #6
jantarek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
very, very nice I always had a soft spot for hacks

I saw this guy on Helge Pedersen presentation in Danbury CT last year
I can't remember his name tho very nice guy, he did all the work him self. anyway don't want to steal the thread. just sharing

My SpotWala
jantarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:58 AM   #7
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,562

That's what I'm talkin' about Mike. Very nice rig.

This is exactly what I had in mind for an Alcan5000 rig in 2010.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:28 AM   #8
ericb67
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Wow, Beautiful Rig!!!
2006 R1150GS Adventure Registry

"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle." - Winston Churchill

"We are all destined to die, some choose to live while alive" - Davo Jones - RIP
ericb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:47 AM   #9
KiltBoy
Mahout

Oddometer: 621
Mike!!!

Friggin awesome!

I was thinking of getting a Ural but after seeing your great rig I think I might consider hacking my R1200GSA!

Great job. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to adventure pics.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:06 AM   #10
Paulzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Proper

My friend went and made himself a side car rig. I'm not sure how I feel about his or side cars in general, but you have a proper rig. Very nice. He's going to build a second rig, something that has adventure in the discription. I'll direct him to your post. Enjoy the ride.
Paulzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,655
You make me sick!

Not only do you have the best "Job" in the world, Touring the world by motorcyle and with Helge no less, but THREE tricked out rigs.

I am going to look into all this identity theft stuff and see if I can steal your identity and take your job.

Very nice Mike!

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:47 AM   #12
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,792
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #13
princess jamaica
OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag
YA!!what he said!!
Old 04-03-2008, 07:09 PM   #14
gregbenner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,151
Mile, very nice write up. I have a V Strom/Ural, also built by Jay, and I found your comments re: the 12GS quite insightful (gearing, clutch, power, etc).

I am not very familiar with the 1150 GSA, is a 2 wheel drive possble (i.e. single side swingarm), or not desirable?

Did you not change the trail, or did I just miss that?

I am now going to read up on GlobeRiders... looks pretty cool as well.

best

greg
1975 BMW R75/6,1971 BSA Lighning
gregbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #15
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789
Thumb

Freakin' awesome!!!