Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #31
mikepa OP
SideCzarist

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbenner

Mike, could I take the Strom on one of the GlobeRider tours?
We've just provisionally qualified a rider on a 'Strom for the Silk Road next year. Our concerns with this capable-looking bike are twofold: (1). that exposed, chin-mounted oil cooler and (2). the cast wheels. However, we've noted our concerns to this rider, and he understands his "exposure". I look forward to seeing how the 'Strom does. It would be good to put another model on the approved short list. Certainly, Touratech has put their (farkle available) stamp of approval on it .

Best,
'04 BMW R1150GS Adventure/Ural "WarBird" (UberHack 3.0)
http://www.globeriders.com
Kenmore, WA
USA

"The world is a book and those that do not travel, read only a page." - St. Augustine

"...not all those that wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien
mikepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #32
mikepa OP
SideCzarist

Quote:

Mike, could I take the Strom on one of the GlobeRider tours?
We've just provisionally qualified a rider on a 'Strom for the Silk Road next year. Our concerns with this capable-looking bike are twofold: (1). that exposed, chin-mounted oil cooler and (2). the cast wheels. However, we've noted our concerns to this rider, and he understands his "exposure". I look forward to seeing how the 'Strom does. It would be good to put another model on the approved short list. Certainly, Touratech has put their (farkle available) stamp of approval on it .

Best,
Kenmore, WA
USA

"The world is a book and those that do not travel, read only a page." - St. Augustine

Old 04-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #33
mikepa OP
SideCzarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZcountryboy
The stock shocks on the GSA are too soft. I rode it that way all last year, including a trip to Newfoundland. I've got a set of 3 wilbers I'm mounting up this season.
Would be very interested in hearing how the Wilburs peform for you on a hack. I've only known of one rider/client that had a set, on his R100GSPD (2-wheeler). They worked great for him, but, he was a fairly conservative rider, and didn't hunt for dirt.

Thanks,
Kenmore, WA
USA

Old 04-04-2008, 09:53 PM   #34
mikepa OP
SideCzarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob
Howdy Mike,

I just now saw this thread, I really like this rig, the first one was nice this one is just way COOL. It will be much better in the rought stuff then the first rig.
Hey Mr. COB, good to hear from you. Been a while since we've been out tri-wheeling. Damn, I love my Gear-Up too, but, am not the type that ever wants to trailer anything that began life as a motorsickle, and the lack of oomph in the Russian Iron on the freeways stresses me out. The Russians do make a fine tub though. How's your rig treating you?

For the longest time, I was thinking about re-powering the Ural with a good old Airhead boxer motor, but all in all, I think the transplant I've done instead will make me a lot happier in and on the long run (hate giving up that 2WD and reverse though!).

Later,
Kenmore, WA
USA

Old 04-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #35
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepa
Hey Mr. COB, good to hear from you. Been a while since we've been out tri-wheeling. Damn, I love my Gear-Up too, but, am not the type that ever wants to trailer anything that began life as a motorsickle, and the lack of oomph in the Russian Iron on the freeways stresses me out. The Russians do make a fine tub though. How's your rig treating you?

For the longest time, I was thinking about re-powering the Ural with a good old Airhead boxer motor, but all in all, I think the transplant I've done instead will make me a lot happier in and on the long run (hate giving up that 2WD and reverse though!).

Later,
Howdy Mike,

Ever since IMWA installed the Ducati ignition system in my rig it "stopped" burning pistons, I finally after four pistons convinced IMWA to swap in the Duc spark maker. I have put 17,000 very hard kilometers on it since the melt down while on the way to the Copper Canyon and no more problems.

Your idea to transplant a R80 or R100 engine is a good one but I fear it will over stress the rest of the drive train. I have been running the Herzog gears in my final drive for over 20,000 hard k with no problems, however about 500 k ago the final drive would not shift out of 2wheel drive. Upon inspection we found that half of the bolts that hold the ring gear in place had sheared, the busted bolts held it engaged in 2wd. Sergey installed a new 2wd unit onto the final drive and after inspecting the Herzog gears we could find no evidence of abnormal wear or damage, we then reinstalled the gears.

Steps are being made to up grade the drive train but in time I think a more powerful engine such as the BMW air head would tear up the transmission or final drive if the rig were abused as I do on a regular basis. If you have time you should run your new rig in the "Black Dog" this happens June 7-8th in northwestern Oregon, the "Dirty Face" happens June 14th in eastern Washington. These two events are a LOT of FUN and would give your new rig a test.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.

Mr. Cob screwed with this post 04-05-2008 at 06:12 PM
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:36 AM   #36
KiltBoy
Mahout

Oddometer: 621
Mike, you need to update your avatar...
Old 04-05-2008, 07:17 AM   #37
mikepa OP
SideCzarist

Quote:

Steps are being made to up grade the drive train but in time I think a more powerful engine such as the BMW air head would tear up the transmission or final drive if the rig were abused as I do on a regular basis. If you have time you should run your new rig in the "Dirty Face" this happens June 7th in eastern Washington, and in the "Black Dog" this happens June 14-15th in Oregon. These two events are a LOT of FUN and would give your new rig a test.
Mr. COB -

Good to hear that you're still "test piloting" for Ural, and encouraging to hear that the newer gearsets are holding up to your enthusiastic usage .

Your thoughts on re-powering echo my own. Making one part of a system robust (like, a more powerful motor) adds stress further down the chain, and new problems could arise from stressing a tranny, clutch, final drive, even suspension, from more power.

Would love to do an off-pavement rally in the new hack, but unfortnately (or perhaps "fortunately"?), I'll be guiding a group of World Tourers from Tokyo to Munich this year, and won't return to the NorthWET until mid-July. Hope to see you at this year's PNWGS Rally though!

Best,
Kenmore, WA
USA

Old 04-05-2008, 07:20 AM   #38
mikepa OP
SideCzarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltBoy
Mike, you need to update your avatar...
You're absolutely correct, an oversight I will correct as soon as I have a suitable ("dirty") foto!

Later,
Kenmore, WA
USA

Old 04-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #39
Dr Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:

(snip!.....)

If you have time you should run your new rig in the "Dirty Face" this happens June 7th in eastern Washington, and in the "Black Dog" this happens June 14-15th in Oregon. These two events are a LOT of FUN and would give your new rig a test.
Sadly, it looks like the Black Dog has been moved to June 7th & 8th - which puts it in a dead conflict with the Dirty Face ride....

The Black Dog AMA/Suzuki National Dualsport & AMA/Suzuki National Adventure Ride for 2008 will be bumped up to June 7~8

Quoted directly from the ONRA website here:

http://www.blackdogdualsport.com/bd_events.htm

This is major suckage IMHO, they are both great events, and I'd HATE having to choose - do you have later or better info Mr. Cobb?

Cheers

Jim
Dr Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #40
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,168
I think the Dirty Face is the following weekend, June 14th...

MikeP, there are a couple of other sidecar friendly dualsports happening a little later inthe year:

The Scaredy Cat in Detroit Oregon Sept 14th

http://www.blackdogdualsport.com/sc_events.htm

and the Rat Dog in Washougal, Wa October 11th

http://www.blackdogdualsport.com/rd_events.htm
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:44 PM   #41
mikepa OP
SideCzarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
MikeP, there are a couple of other sidecar friendly dualsports happening a little later inthe year:

The Scaredy Cat in Detroit Oregon Sept 14th

http://www.blackdogdualsport.com/sc_events.htm

and the Rat Dog in Washougal, Wa October 11th

http://www.blackdogdualsport.com/rd_events.htm
Hey "RedMenace" -

Sorry I missed the Bunny BBQ, things have been a bit hectic around here recently.

Called me spolied, or call me a beeaatch, but in Sep and Oct, I'll be doing my final tour for the year, in IndoChina....

One of these days. . . .

Later,
Kenmore, WA
USA

Old 04-05-2008, 06:09 PM   #42
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,162
I screwed up the dual sport event dates......................

Howdy All,

I made a big bobo,

the "Black Dog" is June 7-8th.

the "Dirty Face" is June 14th.

I have edited my first post to reflect this, sorry for any confusion my mistake may have caused.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #43
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,168
Quote:
Hey "RedMenace" -

Sorry I missed the Bunny BBQ, things have been a bit hectic around here recently.

Called me spolied, or call me a beeaatch, but in Sep and Oct, I'll be doing my final tour for the year, in IndoChina....

One of these days. . . .

Later,
That's cool. How's 'bout sometime when you aren't touring and i'm not teaching we get together and tear up the hill country?
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #44
mikepa OP
SideCzarist

Quote:
Did you not change the trail, or did I just miss that?
Hey Greg,

OK, finally got some fotos to answer your question about trail, and took a few more to show the rigging in the process.

Little busy around the front end, but here is a foto of the machined lower fork brace that Dauntless fabricated. Two things are being accomplished with this.

Like the lower brace on my R1200GS/EZS rig, the centerline distance between the TeleLever pivot stud and the bores for the fork tubes has been increased over the OEM part. This effectively increases the fork rake, which counter-intuitively reduces the fork trail, which in turns reduces the steering effort in a turn. However, kicking that front wheel further out also lowers the height or stance at the front end, which reduces available ground clearance.

Unlike the lower fork brace on my R1200GS/EZS rig, Dauntless did the other right thing. They made the brace "taller" to make up for the loss in height, and this pretty much maintains the stock ground clearance. Even without being painted, it looks as good as the stock brace.

Leaning over the seat from the left side of the tug, here's a downshot on the rigging. You can sort of make out the twin brake pedal arrangement, the stock one barely peeking out from the seat, the tub's pedal above (and in black). The tub's brake system it totally isloated and independent from the tug's, so no incredibly costly brake system flushes and diagnostic tests are required from the local dealer to rig or de-rig the tub. You can see the master cylinder and reservior in the right-hand, middle.

Rocks kicked-up from off-roading really chip the paint on all the rigging, so I've made a habit of wrapping as many of the struts as I can with the neoprene pipe insulation available any any Home Depot-type megabox. The edges actually seal against one another, and tie wraps do the rest.

There's some pretty beefy tow hooks front and rear on the main backbone, for either towing or recovery.

Here's a shot, front to rear, of the backbone. At first, all the clamps and fasteners seemed a bit much. My other rig is all neatly welded. On the other hand, my other rig has suffered fractures, as weld don't give (much), but clamps can, and also spread the load over a much longer and larger area. Four bolts and one electrical connector and the tub can be de-rigged from the bike. It literally takes about 5 minutes.

Hope that answers your question!

Best,
Kenmore, WA
USA

Old 04-06-2008, 01:11 AM   #45
twintwin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
OK, finally got some fotos to answer your question about trail, and took a few more to show the rigging in the process.
At one point I was considering Jay’s lower bridge but I went another way and have used the Dedome mod to ease the steering effort on my R1100GS rig.http://www.dedome.com/

How to reduce the trail on the bmw with telelever without changing the angle of the fork and of course without dropping the front stock height!!. To do so, the steering angle must be straight up; this angle is the line between the bearing bolt located in the upper fork brace and the ball joint in the lower bridge. To change this line, once again without changing the angle of the fork, the ball joint must be relocated. To achieve this trail reduction, Dedome manufactures a new longer lower bridge and in the same time, to straight up the steering angle, he also changes the location for the ball joint on the A arm (telelever), shortening the A arm (cut and re-welded) to the same distance he has lengthen the new lower bridge (about ¾ inch). In other words, this pivot will move backward, and the trail is then reduced. The result is very convincing; the steering effort is much less. In my opinion the engineering is great and smart (does not change the look of the bike), and the finish is awesome, a real piece of art!

Here a couple pictures.

The work on the telelever, cut about 3/4 inch and re-welded.

The same telelever, who can notice the weld on it?

The new lower bridge

The same lower bridge.

The 2 bridges side by side, you can see the relocation of the pivot's position

The Dedome system.

The OEM front end on my other GS for comparaison.

Another view of the Dedome front end mod.

AceRph screwed with this post 04-06-2008 at 07:17 AM Reason: fixed!
twintwin is offline   Reply With Quote