User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM   #1
jedijunk OP
Excelsior

Oddometer: 2
Honda XR400R rectifier installation

Hey guys, I tried to answer this just lurking/searching but could use a bit more guidance. I'm adding a Baja Designs rectifier to my XR400R so I can add a 15watt LED trail light. I'm not planning on upgrading the stator or adding other components at this time.

1) Where is the best place to tap into the wiring harness to install the rectifier? My understanding is that this Baja Designs unit is a regulator/rectifier combo, so do I just replace the stock Honda regulator under the gas tank with this unit? Or do I put the Baja unit somewhere before or after that? I've seen pictures of guys putting aftermarket rectifiers under their seat, but for all I know the unit is actually wired in somewhere up near the front of the bike. I just don't want to have to completely unwrap my whole wiring harness if I can get an idea of where the best place to tap in is.
2) Is there significant potential of harm in trying to run this LED light without a capacitor or battery to buffer it? I heard that some LED drivers are "picky" about their DC voltage source. I don't have a capacitor or battery and don't mind trying it without either if there's not a significant risk of damaging the LED driver with the output of the Baja rectifier.

Thanks!
jedijunk is offline   Reply With Quote