ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 06:27 AM   #136
neduro OP
Addict
 
neduro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 11,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terlingua
The billet top clamp on my 09 450 XC-W say 18-20. Now dose that mean that they are adjustable?
They could be adjustable but are not. There is an eccentric stem available that offsets the bearing centers by 1mm (thus, 18mm or 20mm offset), which you can order from an SX model a few years ago... but what is installed is a straight thru stem which is 19mm offset.

So, in fact I mispoke above, my bike has 19mm offset as well.
__________________
Doubletake Mirrors- Folding D/S mirror that is both useful and indestructible.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:13 AM   #137
Terlingua
Terlingua
 
Terlingua's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Port lavaca Texas
Oddometer: 245
Neduro your right I had seen that they were set to 19 in the parts look up. If they are set at 19mm I thank it would be hard to see any real deference in 1mm.

I am still looking for gas range ya'll are getting out of the stock and bigger tanks?

BCK
__________________
Just a nother day in paradise!
94 FXR'1 custom HD
08 KTM 690 E
09 KTM 450 XC W-plated
Terlingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:20 PM   #138
Redline
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Redline's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Northern CA
Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
07 was the RFS motor in the old chassis. Great bike, but definitely a step back in both departments.

I've now owned an 08 530 EXCR, an 09, and currently have a 2010 (I sold my 09 to cvestal, my neighbor and friend, when a sweet deal on a new one came along).

The differences 08 to 09 are substantial- improved parts in the motor, and much improved suspension on the 09. I would spend whatever it cost to make that jump.

The difference 09 to 10 is not substantial. The EXCR does not get the new frame and 22mm clamps, but I've ridden an XCW that did back to back with my EXCR, and honestly, I could take it or leave it. In the conditions I rode it, I did not find it to be advantageous- a bit different, yes, but not really much if any better. I found my bike to be more predictable and stay on line better, and the XCW to turn a bit easier with the drawback of being a bit less stable.

Whichever version you get, they sure are fun to ride!

Ned, couple of questions for you.
1) With your '09 530, did you experience any of the oil usage issues some owners have? I got 600cc out of the engine side on my 09 the first oil change and I put 600cc back in. Next change I got 550cc out and put the same in. Next one was 450cc out. No smoking or problems with the bike, but I'm adding between 50 and 75cc of oil every couple hundred miles.
2) The 2010 rings are updated and supercede the 09 rings, which makes me wonder if there's an issue with the 09s. Is your oil level stable and are you getting consistent amounts out when you drain the engine?

Thanks.

Redline screwed with this post 11-22-2009 at 08:30 PM
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:16 PM   #139
tobys
OCD Hobbiest
 
tobys's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Redmond, WA
Oddometer: 321
Same here

on the adding of 50-100 cc of oil every couple hours... 2009 530EXC.
tobys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:47 PM   #140
osteo
Motion is Life
 
osteo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: somewhere in Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobys
on the adding of 50-100 cc of oil every couple hours... 2009 530EXC.
I'm the same on my 08' 450EXC. I first noticed it while only a few hundred km on it, so took it in and had a Leakdown Test performed. They found it was in the top 3% (3% leak), or in other words perfect - so not to worry - so I just pay attention to it and add a bit here and there as needed.

I now have 11000km on mine and am thinking it might be time for a top end rebuild - so plan on another leakdown test to see if it is really necessary. The plan it to do this tomorrow (either make a Leakdown tester or take it in) so we'll see what comes of it.

D
__________________
"If it is small enough to eat in a single meal, don't worry about it, hit it!. If it is too large to eat in one sitting, get the hell away from it!" Jack Splash commenting on animals on the trail.

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:57 AM   #141
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer
 
JayBo1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
They could be adjustable but are not. There is an eccentric stem available that offsets the bearing centers by 1mm (thus, 18mm or 20mm offset), which you can order from an SX model a few years ago... but what is installed is a straight thru stem which is 19mm offset.

So, in fact I mispoke above, my bike has 19mm offset as well.
Just in case others from Aus read this thread occasionally, like I do, the '09 EXC's over here come with the adjustable triple clamps from the shop floor. Top clamp stamped 18-20 and the offset stem that you rotate in the bottom clamp to change between the two options by lining up, or not, a mark with a dot.
__________________
JayBo on Safari
Bro 1, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... arrived
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:48 AM   #142
neduro OP
Addict
 
neduro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 11,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1
Just in case others from Aus read this thread occasionally, like I do, the '09 EXC's over here come with the adjustable triple clamps from the shop floor. Top clamp stamped 18-20 and the offset stem that you rotate in the bottom clamp to change between the two options by lining up, or not, a mark with a dot.
Interesting.

Out of curiosity, does the bottom clamp have 2 bolts or 3?

In the US, the uppers are all the same as far as I can tell. The lower clamps on XC-W and EXC are 2 bolts, and have a 19mm stem installed. The lowers on XCs and SXs (everything with twin chamber suspension) are 3 bolts and have the 1mm offset stem.

When I was in Mexico this spring I offered to help someone with their 990... and it was completely different than an American one. Turns out Mexico gets AU bikes, it's interesting how they mix spec for different countries.
__________________
Doubletake Mirrors- Folding D/S mirror that is both useful and indestructible.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:55 AM   #143
neduro OP
Addict
 
neduro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 11,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline
Ned, couple of questions for you.
1) With your '09 530, did you experience any of the oil usage issues some owners have? I got 600cc out of the engine side on my 09 the first oil change and I put 600cc back in. Next change I got 550cc out and put the same in. Next one was 450cc out. No smoking or problems with the bike, but I'm adding between 50 and 75cc of oil every couple hundred miles.
2) The 2010 rings are updated and supercede the 09 rings, which makes me wonder if there's an issue with the 09s. Is your oil level stable and are you getting consistent amounts out when you drain the engine?

Thanks.
Howdy-

My 09 was pretty stable on oil use- a little bit but not much. My 08 consumed more, and 08 rings supercede on part number to the 09's.

My 10 is still new enough that I don't have a good read- it's only got 30 hours or so on it. Been too busy to ride enough! Interesting to hear that there are now 3 different spec of rings.

I don't measure when I drain, though I probably should and it's a good idea. I have a ritual I go through starting it before I get dressed, letting it idle for 3-4 minutes, then checking engine oil level. I don't worry where it is in the window other than at that time.

----

An interesting note- my Dirttricks Ironman Sprocket (50T rear) has been on all 3 530's and even done time on my 300- it's got something like 400 engine hours on it, I'm guessing, all off-road, all being flogged. I was so impressed with it's durability that I ordered another one for my 300, and when I held the new one over the old, the wear was indiscernible.

That's amazing to me. The chain holds up a lot better too, since it's not stretching across weird tooth spacing on the sprocket... typically, I get about 60-70 hours out of a set of chain and sprockets. Money well spent, IMO!
__________________
Doubletake Mirrors- Folding D/S mirror that is both useful and indestructible.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:00 AM   #144
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer
 
JayBo1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
Interesting.

Out of curiosity, does the bottom clamp have 2 bolts or 3?

In the US, the uppers are all the same as far as I can tell. The lower clamps on XC-W and EXC are 2 bolts, and have a 19mm stem installed. The lowers on XCs and SXs (everything with twin chamber suspension) are 3 bolts and have the 1mm offset stem.

When I was in Mexico this spring I offered to help someone with their 990... and it was completely different than an American one. Turns out Mexico gets AU bikes, it's interesting how they mix spec for different countries.
Arrgghhh. I'm an idiot! I just realised my bike came with KTM HardParts SX triple clamps. KTM ran a deal here where they threw in "extras" that you chose from a list at no extra cost. I chose the clamps so that's why I have adjustable clamps. Very sorry for the error. I think the standard clamps are 19mm offset fixed.
__________________
JayBo on Safari
Bro 1, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... arrived
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #145
Redline
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Redline's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Northern CA
Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
Howdy-

My 09 was pretty stable on oil use- a little bit but not much. My 08 consumed more, and 08 rings supercede on part number to the 09's.

My 10 is still new enough that I don't have a good read- it's only got 30 hours or so on it. Been too busy to ride enough! Interesting to hear that there are now 3 different spec of rings.

I don't measure when I drain, though I probably should and it's a good idea. I have a ritual I go through starting it before I get dressed, letting it idle for 3-4 minutes, then checking engine oil level. I don't worry where it is in the window other than at that time.
Thanks Ned. If you could give us an update on your '10 once you get a few more hours on it, that'd be great. Supposedly the new rings work with the '09 piston, so I might swap mine out at some point if it'll help. It'd be nice not to have to chase oil levels.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #146
tobys
OCD Hobbiest
 
tobys's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Redmond, WA
Oddometer: 321
I don't measure when I drain, though I probably should and it's a good idea. I have a ritual I go through starting it before I get dressed, letting it idle for 3-4 minutes, then checking engine oil level. I don't worry where it is in the window other than at that time.

Ned - I'm curious, because the manual says to only check the oil level window when the engine is cold... What gives?

Thanks!
Toby
tobys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #147
Ryman
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Oddometer: 763
Oil use on these bikes comes from super vacuum from air box. Run rocker breather and crank breather to UNI filter up behind radiators, one on each side using 3/8 fuel line. You will be happy. Don't believe me? I bet you have a puddle of oil in the bottom of intake just behind your filter. Just two cents from a Utard.
__________________

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:44 AM   #148
neduro OP
Addict
 
neduro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 11,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobys
Ned - I'm curious, because the manual says to only check the oil level window when the engine is cold... What gives?
I'm doing it wrong.



Seriously, I found that I got different oil height readings (sometimes higher after being lower without adding anything, therefore it had to be inconsistent), so I came up with something that seems to be consistent for me.

Typically, I run it a bit overfull as well- you have to tip the bike slightly away to get the oil down to the top of the window. Mine have all come that way from the factory, and don't pump it out the breather which is the typical sign of overfull in my experience.



If you're blocking off the breather as Ryman suggests (did it on my 08 and 09, haven't yet on the 10 but it hasn't consumed any) then you may be able to find a Zerk grease fitting at your hardware store with the correct threads to block the carb entrance more convincingly than just a rubber plug that could split.
__________________
Doubletake Mirrors- Folding D/S mirror that is both useful and indestructible.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:52 AM   #149
Redline
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Redline's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Northern CA
Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman
Oil use on these bikes comes from super vacuum from air box. Run rocker breather and crank breather to UNI filter up behind radiators, one on each side using 3/8 fuel line. You will be happy. Don't believe me? I bet you have a puddle of oil in the bottom of intake just behind your filter. Just two cents from a Utard.
That's the thing Ryman...no oil in the intake for me. I run a closed loop vent that I read about on KTMTalk, so the rocker cover breather does a big loop up along the frame then down to the 'T' that leads to the carb...it basically uses gravity to keep oil from getting to the carb, but it doesn't end with a filter. Maybe I should give the Uni a shot.

So you're running both the crank vent and rocker cover to two separate filters? Did you see a drop in oil usage after doing this?
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:57 AM   #150
Country Doc
Wanderer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: somwhere north of Kingston, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman
Oil use on these bikes comes from super vacuum from air box. Run rocker breather and crank breather to UNI filter up behind radiators, one on each side using 3/8 fuel line. You will be happy. Don't believe me? I bet you have a puddle of oil in the bottom of intake just behind your filter. Just two cents from a Utard.
Why not just run the vents out the bottom of the bike near the swingarm? Why bother routing them up and terminating in a filter? I don't understand the rationale for this.

I think the Blais de-smogging kit just runs the crank and valve cover breather hoses out the bottom of the bike.

dc
Country Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014