Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2011, 04:05 AM   #1501
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel

Oddometer: 2,297
After busting myself up last year I haven't done alot of riding lately but with two epic dirt rides planned for later this year I need to get back in the swing of things.

But it looks like my bike is an oil burner, not sure how much yet so I'll have to keep a close eye on it. Its due for an oil and filter change this weekend and I'll also do the crankcase breather re route, if that doesn't solve it then valve steam guides need to be checked I guesss.

to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:32 AM   #1502
oinky1982
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Bike already be de-smog, rejet, ...... is possible it is just the carb miss ajusted, or to rich or to lean ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora20 View Post
Rejet, desmog, regear. Basically make it like the XCW and it will run fine. Do a search on ktmtalk.com on how to fix it.
oinky1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:16 AM   #1503
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,838
There are some changes and some searching in this thread will find most all. The most significant is the stud that gets in the way of top end work. 2008 there is a welded stud for the gas tank support that gets in the way. 2009 it was changed to an aluminum spacer that makes the work easier.
Second is suspension. I own Ned's 2009. He still loves the 2009 suspension to this date.

No quick visual way to check if a burner. One suggested check if you can. Pop the valve cover and check the valve seals are seated correctly from the factory. However, that does not guarantee a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
530 changes from 2008-2009? I know they fixed some things with the 2009s, and that would be the way to go, but if you found a 2008 for the right price...

How would you know if it was a burner if buying it used? What could you check?

Anything that would make less than 2009 a deal breaker? I know Ned seemed to like his 2009 a lot more.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #1504
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinky1982 View Post
HI every body, my bike start verywell with the e-start, but won't start with the kick any issue ????

when I try to ride at a regular speed like 50mph, it's seem the rpm won't still a the same point it's alway have a small variation, making the bike very hard to drive on road,

I can kick mine, but the button don't work, want to trade?

Actually, I got my fixed, adjusted the fancy gear thing and the big boy fires right up now.

Now time to see if I can still ride it. I broke the hand Nov 4 and have not been on the 530 since then.

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #1505
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Oinky I think what you are asking is why your bike won't run smoothly at an approximate 50 Mile and hour steady throttle.???? Is that right? You are wondering if your bike is jetted too rich or too lean and you don't know how to know which? Is that right? Others here with more experience than myself may have better information for you than I am able to provide----I think the questions they may ask you are:
What size is your main jet:
What size is your pilot jet
What position is your needle clip
What is the elevation where you ride

If you are trying to run a steady 50 Mile per hour rate---are you saying that your bike 'surges' while you are holding the throttle steady?
Have you looked at your spark plug porcelain ---what color is it?
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:44 AM   #1506
oinky1982
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseret Rider View Post
Oinky I think what you are asking is why your bike won't run smoothly at an approximate 50 Mile and hour steady throttle.???? Is that right? You are wondering if your bike is jetted too rich or too lean and you don't know how to know which? Is that right? Others here with more experience than myself may have better information for you than I am able to provide----I think the questions they may ask you are:
What size is your main jet:
What size is your pilot jet
What position is your needle clip
What is the elevation where you ride

If you are trying to run a steady 50 Mile per hour rate---are you saying that your bike 'surges' while you are holding the throttle steady?
Have you looked at your spark plug porcelain ---what color is it?
It's all right, elevation level sea, jet, jd kit already install when I bought the bike never go to see the jet, clip never go to see istead, is it complicated to check at it ?????

spark plug color, abit black but not that much

Thanks for you help
oinky1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #1507
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,335
Fancy new motor

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/N...NJEC-7872.aspx

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #1508
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Oinky------I'm guessing that the JT kit would get you very close to the right jetting------and the throttle opening at 50 MPH will not put you solely on the the main jet. What I'd try if it were my bike would be to drop the needle by one clip-----which is accomplished by raising the clip to the next higher slot on the needle. That should lean your mixture slightly and produce a tan/light brown coloration of the spark plug porcelain----you said your's is only slightly black? Then evaluate what effect has been produced by dropping the needle--If it does not produce the result you wish then it might still give you a clue what to do next. Could you give us a more detailed explanation as to exactly what is happening at 50 mph---is the bike surging faster then slowing or is it slowing then surging back to 50 mph as you hold a steady throttle position?
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #1509
Bora20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
2010 530 EXC Jetting with canisterectomy, Read instructions, need help

I have a 2010 530 EXC that has been desmogged and rejetting using a JD Jet Kit. No canisterectomy. 175 main jet, blue Needle with 2nd clip from top just like JD states with an original exhaust.

Bike was running the fan almost all day in single track yesterday, hoping the canisterectomy will help to fix that issue. I have removed the exhaust baffle this today and JD says to move the clip to the 3rd position from the top for modified or a more open exhaust.

Should this be done or should it be left in the 2nd position? I am confused since the instructions are for a EXC AND XCW, which use different end caps as we all know.

It is pretty loud now too...I wonder if a FMF Q4 would be quieter?? Is it so much to ask for a quiet exhaust that will let the bike run properly? I like to be able to stop and see these guys on the trail.
Bora20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #1510
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora20 View Post

It is pretty loud now too...I wonder if a FMF Q4 would be quieter?? Is it so much to ask for a quiet exhaust that will let the bike run properly? I like to be able to stop and see these guys on the trail.
I have just installed a Q4 on a 525 that had the stock muffler opened up a bit. I am super pleased with the Q4, as the bike has lost it obnoxious bark of the stocker, and I can't feel any loss in performance. I am frugal, and I was really hoping it wasn't money spent in vain, it was not.

B-Rod screwed with this post 05-08-2011 at 07:54 PM
B-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #1511
Bora20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
I have just installed a Q4 on a 525 that had the stock muffler opened up a bit. I am super pleased with the Q4, as the bike has lost it obnoxious bark of the stocker, and I can't feel any loss in performance. I am frugal, and I was really hoping it wasn't money spent in vain, it was not.[/IMG]
That was what I wanted to hear. Did you make the jetting richer when you put on the pipe or did you leave it like the original pipe?
Bora20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #1512
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,665
Didn't take long for the 'tank gripper' set to let go........almost 1 year......

Good thing they are cheap on flea-bay...or maybe go without...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #1513
KevinColorado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Love this thread...
KevinColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #1514
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 784
RE: TM Design Chain Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinColorado View Post
Two questions for you 530 experts...

The chain slap you hear when you first start it up... is that OK??
Mine goes away when it warms up but it is certainly loud initially. Every bike I've owned has this ... but for some reason the 530 seems to be more noticable. I've heard a lot if you have installed an aftermarket chain tensioner.... besides the noise, does it improve reliabilty?? Mine is an 09 with only 2500 miles on it...

Also too... different chain... different question... but the chain guide on the back... how important is it to upgrade that thing to a more beefy one. Anybody ever knock their's off in the rocks?? I rode Taylor last year and it made me bit nervous... hate to see that thing come off out in the middle of no where!
I installed the Dirt Tricks chain tensioner with the first oil change...not sure if it was necessary...doohickey rumour turned out to be true for me...

My chain guide took some hits and cracked, so I installed the TM Designworks in orange and I really liked the way it looked. I have since inspected it, and it has taken a bashing but is still solid after 120hrs. However, I haven't protected my rear disk and it looks fine.

FlyingDutchman screwed with this post 05-10-2011 at 06:25 AM
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #1515
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 784
Rally Riser

I had a big get off yesterday...sorry no pic of that but this was the result...
Attached Images

FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote