User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #1516
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,924
FD,
Is that Dirtinbloods 1.25" Rally Riser ??
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #1517
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
I had a big get off yesterday...sorry no pic of that but this was the result...
Hey F.D. I hope you're o.k.

Looks like the riser that was mounted to the Rally Riser snapped... or did the bolt shear right out??

... hmm... looking at it some more and have some questions. Can you either post some more pictures or shoot some more pictures over to Kevin?
Thanks,
D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)

osteo screwed with this post 05-10-2011 at 04:30 AM
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #1518
dxbarm
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Part Num?

Anyone have the part num of the aluminum spacer that replaces the stud that gets in the way of top end work. 2009 530 it was changed to an aluminum spacer that makes the work easier. Looking to get one for my 08 after I cut off the piece.
dxbarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #1519
andrewlat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxbarm View Post
anyone have the part num of the aluminum spacer that replaces the stud that gets in the way of top end work. 2009 530 it was changed to an aluminum spacer that makes the work easier. Looking to get one for my 08 after i cut off the piece.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #1520
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by osteo View Post
Hey F.D. I hope you're o.k.

Looks like the riser that was mounted to the Rally Riser snapped... or did the bolt shear right out??

... hmm... looking at it some more and have some questions. Can you either post some more pictures or shoot some more pictures over to Kevin?
Thanks,
D
Hey Osteo,

Yeah I'm OK. It was a get-off, not a crash really.

I was at the Port Colborne XC race and they had an 18km loop ending with three logs prior to the time check. These logs were about 18' and 12' apart and 18" to 24" tall. On the first lap, I stalled after the first two. So, on the third lap I tried to use a bit more speed and things got away from me on the second and I whiskey throttled the third and landed it but was out of control, so I aborted and hit eject.

I had installed the shorter 25mm bolts on the top holding the handlebar mounts to th riser. I installed the 35mm bolts into the riser and triple clamps. Incorrect according to DirtInBlood who makes them. I can't believe I did not follow the instructions

I'm not sure where the designed weak point is with the riser but on the stock set-up the bar mounts are the cheapest and easiest to repair versus the triple clamp or the handle bars. So, shearing the threads of the rally riser is the best damage I could hope for.

The little alignment tabs on the bottom bar mounts are sheared half off. I'm not sure I need to replace them. They are about $70 at the dealer. I'm think I will mount the damaged ones and see how it torques up.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #1521
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Laugh I did better than this guy

Old 05-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #1522
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
Hey Osteo,

Yeah I'm OK. It was a get-off, not a crash really.

I was at the Port Colborne XC race and they had an 18km loop ending with three logs prior to the time check. These logs were about 18' and 12' apart and 18" to 24" tall. On the first lap, I stalled after the first two. So, on the third lap I tried to use a bit more speed and things got away from me on the second and I whiskey throttled the third and landed it but was out of control, so I aborted and hit eject.

I had installed the shorter 25mm bolts on the top holding the handlebar mounts to th riser. I installed the 35mm bolts into the riser and triple clamps. Incorrect according to DirtInBlood who makes them. I can't believe I did not follow the instructions

I'm not sure where the designed weak point is with the riser but on the stock set-up the bar mounts are the cheapest and easiest to repair versus the triple clamp or the handle bars. So, shearing the threads of the rally riser is the best damage I could hope for.

The little alignment tabs on the bottom bar mounts are sheared half off. I'm not sure I need to replace them. They are about $70 at the dealer. I'm think I will mount the damaged ones and see how it torques up.
ewwhh... does not sound like fun! glad you're ok and all that is broken is a bit of metal that can be replaced.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #1523
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,017
My clutch cover was getting pretty worn looking after 132hrs of use so I decided a powdercoat job was in order to freshen it up a bit. I headed over to StuckinMud's house and we had it powdercoated minitex black in no time. I added the orange paint into the recessed areas to finish it off. Came out looking pretty sweet.

Hmmmm....That water pump cover might look good in black also

Hodakaguy

And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #1524
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
My clutch cover was getting pretty worn looking after 132hrs of use so I decided a powdercoat job was in order to freshen it up a bit. I headed over to StuckinMud's house and we had it powdercoated minitex black in no time. I added the orange paint into the recessed areas to finish it off. Came out looking pretty sweet.

Hodakaguy
How is the anodizing not fried right off the KTM/ FMF pipe? I think WOT ice racing killed this one. It does have the smallest dB 'sert with the sparky, so I think the heat builds up in there. Anyone else have a bugger of a time getting the seat all the way on with the Clockworks tank?

Old 05-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #1525
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
How is the anodizing not fried right off the KTM/ FMF pipe? I think WOT ice racing killed this one. It does have the smallest dB 'sert with the sparky, so I think the heat builds up in there. Anyone else have a bugger of a time getting the seat all the way on with the Clockworks tank?
I would suspect lean jetting? Mine has held up great with no signs of degradation. Yeah the seat is a tight fit with the Clockworks tank, I slide the seat up under the catch on the tank and then use my elbow to pop the seat onto the rear catch....works pretty good that way.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #1526
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,665
Quote:
That looks great! I was wondering what to do once it got nasty lookin'...

Quote:
...Anyone else have a bugger of a time getting the seat all the way on with the Clockworks tank?
I hook the front then use two hands firmly gripping the back of the seat and give it a quick shove forward...snap! its in.....

Ok...gratuitous bike shot...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #1527
Bora20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Anyone else have a bugger of a time getting the seat all the way on with the Clockworks tank?
I put in 3 washers to raised the front spacer up for the seat mount. Then I put the seat on, shove it all the way forward, and SMACK the rear of the seat and it pops onto the mounting washer and the seat bolt goes right in.

Before that I was swearing at it and concerned it was a piece of crap...

Oh yah, and I rejetted last night the 3rd clip from the top on the JD blue needle to match the cut out insert in the stock muffler.
Bora20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #1528
Chowdown
Texas Aussie

Oddometer: 136
man that looks great!

Quote:

Hodakaguy

Chowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #1529
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Thumb Clockwork has great custonmer service.

I've got the Clockworks tanks...first one leaked at the petcock badly. I had another sent to me, arrived with in a few days, and unfortunately this one also leaked and the petcock mounting holes were in the wrong spot.

But Clockwork offered to send me another or refund me. According to KTMTalk they made improvements to their process and the current ones are much better fit.

FWIW, a crafty moto bud of mine made the tank work and I have not had a problem. But if I had a problem, I am sure they would give me a new one.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #1530
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

How do you nguys keep your bikes so clean?

Here's mine...

and why is your head pipe so shiny, Hodakaguy?

Mine is all orangy rust coloured...
Attached Images