Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #151
Redline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
I think one reason to run them up is to use gravity to keep large amounts of oil from getting out the vent. If oil enters the breather it will drain back down into the engine and only mist/vapor escapes. The filter is so you don't have a mess on the other end or have dust, particles or water getting into the vent.

I don't know anything about the Blais kit, but I wouldn't want my crank and rocker cover breathers venting out by the rear tire on a d/s bike. I spend a fair amount of time on twisty pavement getting to the trail, and a shot of oil mid-corner could make a real mess of things, in more ways than one. I'd think this wouldn't be too good in a river crossing either. Could be wrong though...this is my first high performance four stroke single and I'm doing a lot of experimenting.

Redline screwed with this post 11-24-2009 at 12:41 PM
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #152
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline
That's the thing Ryman...no oil in the intake for me. I run a closed loop vent that I read about on KTMTalk, so the rocker cover breather does a big loop up along the frame then down to the 'T' that leads to the carb...it basically uses gravity to keep oil from getting to the carb, but it doesn't end with a filter. Maybe I should give the Uni a shot.

So you're running both the crank vent and rocker cover to two separate filters? Did you see a drop in oil usage after doing this?
Yes, I've had very good luck with this setup. I tried the big loopy thing first and ended up at this. It works. Keeps the vent high and there is no way for oil to get sucked back into the intake.

Sounds like the newer models are doing better with this problem, but mine is an 08 and sucks alot of oil.

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #153
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I think one reason to run them up is to use gravity to keep large amounts of oil from getting out the vent. If oil enters the breather it will drain back down into the engine and only mist/vapor escapes. The filter is so you don't have a mess on the other end or have dust, particles or water getting into the vent.

I don't know anything about the Blais kit, but I wouldn't want my crank and rocker cover breathers venting out by the rear tire on a d/s bike. I spend a fair amount of time on twisty pavement getting to the trail, and a shot of oil mid-corner could make a real mess of things, in more ways than one. I'd think this wouldn't be too good in a river crossing either. Could be wrong though...this is my first high performance four stroke and I'm doing a lot of experimenting.
+1

Utards in Baja
Old 11-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #154
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Just enjoying the 530ness.

Utards in Baja
Old 11-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #155
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,786
Quote:
I wouldn't want my crank and rocker cover breathers venting out by the rear tire on a d/s bike
+2

A friend had to rebuild his bike top and bottom end when he neglected to connect the vent tube on the valve inspection cover... sand throughout the motor on a 1000 mile ride in Baja = very sad motor. It still ran, but it was noisy and made no power.

I know that tube should be positive pressure but I'm anti anything going into the motor with no filter on it.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #156
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,647
makes sense now, thanks guys. I'm about to do this on my new zero-mile 450 so I'll loop the tubes up and terminate in a small filter.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #157
Redline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman
Yes, I've had very good luck with this setup. I tried the big loopy thing first and ended up at this. It works. Keeps the vent high and there is no way for oil to get sucked back into the intake.
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to give the filter setup a try as the current "big loopy thing" ain't cuttin' it.

Nice photo.

Ned, that story makes me cringe. I'm thinking about running filters on the carb vents as well.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:59 PM   #158
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrider75
makes sense now, thanks guys. I'm about to do this on my new zero-mile 450 so I'll loop the tubes up and terminate in a small filter.

dc
Hey Dan - what did you get? Same as B.F? An 09' 450exc?

I was thiking with terminating those vent lines low, would there also be a small amount of vacuum after the stroke or is that only on a twin? I recall having to put a 1 way valve on my old 950 to stop that vacuum.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #159
Country Doc
Wanderer

yup, an identical '09 450 EXC

going for a break-in ride up in the Ottawa valley on Sunday. High of 3 degrees Celsius. Whoo-hoo!

dc
Old 11-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #160
Country Doc
Wanderer

What has been the experience for those who have routed the crank/valve cover vents up high to the upper rad area when riding in very wet/muddy conditions?

I have some theoretical concerns about potential water ingress to the motor with a high filter sitting up near the top of the rad, when riding all day in heavy rain, or through deep mucky puddles, and so forth.

I know the filter sits up high, but it's just so exposed up there. It seems like every ride I do up here in the Northeast is just snotty, nasty, and wet, well over 70% of the time.

The closed loop idea seems reasonable too but there is VERY little room along the frame backbone to route any thick hose like that.

dc
Old 11-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #161
osteo
Motion is Life

Sorry for the thread hijack - but I think this is related... all this talk on relocating those vent lines... instead of using small unifilters, how about those one way vents that are used on the fuel lines coming off the gas cap?

You can see one here in the bottom of the picture:

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Old 11-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #162
Bob599
Bob599

Oddometer: 284
road book holder

Off topic, but has anybody tried to use the KTM road book holder to mount a GPS? Looks like it moves the headlight forward and would be a perfect solution to keeping the gps out of harms way and also making in more readable while standing.
Bob599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #163
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob599
Off topic, but has anybody tried to use the KTM road book holder to mount a GPS?
I've not put one on a 530, but I did on my old 525, and I found it to be a less than optimal solution. The headlight was aimed wrong, the weight was noticeable, and overall it feels junior varsity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteo
how about those one way vents that are used on the fuel lines coming off the gas cap?
Hi Dennis!

1) They are one way in only. So, they will not allow positive pressure out, a potentially hazardous situation. I believe that a revving motor winds up with a partial vacuum in the cases- the piston coming down forces air out faster than it draws it back in.

2) They don't filter what comes in.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #164
Bob599
Bob599

Oddometer: 284
Stator Output

Just wondering if anybody new what the stator output was stock? I asume its around 90 and was wondering if anybody offered a higher output stator.

Thanks Ned. I bought both your vids and the book! Great stuff! Thought I was on to somthing with the road book holder but sounds like it was a let down.
Bob599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #165
osteo
Motion is Life

Quote:
Hi Dennis!

1) They are one way in only. So, they will not allow positive pressure out, a potentially hazardous situation. I believe that a revving motor winds up with a partial vacuum in the cases- the piston coming down forces air out faster than it draws it back in.

2) They don't filter what comes in.
(Christine says Hi!)

duuhhh... I had it in my mind that they were one way out, not in!!

Hey we're thinking on travelling the last week of Aug to the 1st week of Sept (2 weeks total) - as we had sort of chatted about before.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media