Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #1636
piercalif
Biciveloce

Oddometer: 406
Exactly a local guy will do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan View Post
Suspension is like oil and tires, we could discuss/argue all day long and never agree. I am convinced it is an important area to setup and most people do not take the time, myself included.

Lots of guys have solid reputations. Slavens and SuperPlush. Stillwell Performance in CO. TrailTricks and MX-Tech. These guys are all supposed to know the WP stuff pretty well. IMO, if you have somebody local who is good, and can go to the track or trail with you, that is worth a lot, especially if your new to the sport and don't know a lot.

Other than that, start with the right springs for your weight and stock settings and go from there. Don't be afraid to experiment, but don't make huge changes all at once. Take notes as you go. Sometimes two clicks is a big difference. If you can't make it work, then get it revalved.

I would stay away form the big suspension shops, Race Tech, Factory Connection, PC, etc. The bikes I have ridden from them have all been to stiff IMO. They think everyone is a Pro MXer.

THis is the story,

My friend he had the suspension done from one of those other guys you mentioned, and they couldn't get it right first time and second time, on top of that they refused to return original new springs. As result my friend drove 3 times 100 Miles one way and paid lots of dough and his suspension was still crap.

That's when I suggest Brett Leaf, who met my friend at a local motocross track and fixed my friend bike in a few click at charged him only $100

Carlsbad
piercalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:13 AM   #1637
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
Dutch, you have F/R ohlins on your bike???

dc
Put that credit card away, Danny. 'Have less, do more!' I read somewhere once
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:59 AM   #1638
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,653
Didn't think you did, but you replied almost as if you had. I have no issues with the stock WP on my 09. It was excessively harsh for the first 10-15 hours, and has been a magic carpet ever since.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:07 AM   #1639
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,037
Upgraded the oil pump gears in my 530 to the updated gears that KTM is installing in the new 2011 bikes. Thought I would type up a how to and compare the differences between the old and new parts. It's to long to insert in this thread so I started a thread by itself and figured I'd post a link here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post16161092

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #1640
KevinColorado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
OK... here's a question for Ned and you other 530 guru's...

What oil do you use in the 530?

Is the synthetic KTM oil worth the $23 qt.??

That's pretty expensive for oil... considering it's $3.00 for the penzoil I put in my truck.

I know I tend to fall for the fancy advertising... but eventually you start thinking past all the glitz and the orange and black... and wonder... is it really worth $23.00 a quart???
KevinColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #1641
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinColorado View Post
What oil do you use in the 530?
Oh no, not an oil thread...

I've been running Golden Spectro 20-50 in every bike for years. Clutches seem to like it, and it's about $9 a quart which still seems like too much to me.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #1642
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,435
I run Maxima Extra myself. $10.00 from Rocky MTN ATV.

http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/in...&products_id=4

I read a report in Dirt Rider, where a guy drained the oil on an RM450, then rode the bike for three hours. It smoked of course. But it ran for three hours minus oil. I gleaned from that that any oil would probably be good.

I ran a KX500 once with no tranny oil for 50 miles. Fried a clutch was all.

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence

bigborefan screwed with this post 06-14-2011 at 09:28 AM
bigborefan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #1643
Hodakaguy

Aw yes...the old oil debate I use Mobile 1 15-50W for high performance engines (will have the little checkered flag on corner of the container) in all my bikes and it works great. There was a bike magazine a few years back that did a oil shootout between the bike oils and they included the moible 1 15-50w for high performance engines in with the bike oils. They sent all the oils out to a lab, the results showed that the mobile 15-50w was right in there with all the bike oils for anti-wear additives etc. I've been using it in all my bikes with excellent results so far, pretty much all of my riding friends have switched over to it as well. $21 for a 5 quart jug at Walmart! I also like that I can easily find it while on trips etc so I can consistantly use the same oil.

All bike oils and the oil mentioned above have higher anti-wear additives etc. You can't go wrong with any of them, all modern oils are pretty good. You just don't hear of oil related failures any more.

Just my $.02

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy screwed with this post 06-14-2011 at 11:24 AM
Old 06-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #1644
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
Didn't think you did, but you replied almost as if you had. I have no issues with the stock WP on my 09. It was excessively harsh for the first 10-15 hours, and has been a magic carpet ever since.

dc
I figure that my when my suspension is sacked, I'll consider the Hard Parts Ohlins.

You might want to test that magic carpet out at Woody's Harescramble? I'll save a spot for you between me and Dr. Ron. If not, we will be looking for a photographer...ya, I coulda PMd ya...It will be epic battle between RockHound participants in the Novice/ADVRider category. Este and a few others will likely be there....
Old 06-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #1645
Chowdown
Texas Aussie

Oddometer: 140
i use valvoline full syn 20-50w motorcycle oil, from walmart. its like 8 bucks a quart. cheap and easy to get.
Chowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #1646
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

[QUOTE=KevinColorado;16162472]What oil do you use in the 530?QUOTE]

FWIW,

After many hours of research and consultation, I have settled on using Mobil 15w50 Full Synthetic (I picked up two jugs for $6/L) in the motor and it seems to be holding up well...6-12 hours between changes and still measuring about 500ml when all drained.

If that wasn't on sale, I have used $3 10w40 dinosaur oil and changed it a little sooner. I have it on good advice, a race mechanic, that this is better than crossing your fingers and leaving $20 oil in there too long.

I have been using Rotella or gear oil ($5/L) in the tranny and have been happy to see nothing in my screens and the shifting feels good. As long as the tranny oil has JASO MA spec on the bottle.

Most believe that Synthetic can go twice as long as dinosaur oil...dunno...but with the XC4 motor, you have to wonder if any oil is still in there after 10hrs

I have an 09 bought in '10 and has about 140hrs on it...it still pulls my arms off and starts easy.

Changing your bike's oil is good for the soul.

Edit: And I change my Filter and Trany Oil every second time I do the engine.

FlyingDutchman screwed with this post 06-14-2011 at 01:24 PM
Old 06-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #1647
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman
... As long as the tranny oil has JASO MA spec on the bottle ...
Bingo
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #1648
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan View Post
Ready to Race!

It's a nice looking bike. I am not real keen on all the black though. I need a new color scheme and graphics for my taste.
The black looks GREAT. I think it makes the other parts of the bike stick out.
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #1649
terry.mc
Stop ruining my vacation

Oddometer: 5,556
Weeping coolant from pump @ 24 hours?

Hey all,

I was changing the oil the other day and noticed that I have wept some coolant from the bottom of the water pump. Not a lot, but enough to leave a trail of dirt that stuck to the coolant.

Normal? Not Normal?

Thanks!

T
Old 06-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #1650
Hodakaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.mc View Post
Hey all,

I was changing the oil the other day and noticed that I have wept some coolant from the bottom of the water pump. Not a lot, but enough to leave a trail of dirt that stuck to the coolant.

Normal? Not Normal?

Thanks!

T
Not exactly normal but not all that uncommon either, mine started leaking around 80hrs. Pretty easy fix....drain the coolant, pull the water pump cover, remove the nut on the water pump impeller and carefully pry the impeller off the shaft.

Remove the seal. This can be a little tricky to get out, one method that works good is to drill a small hole through the seal and screw in a small sheet metal screw into the hole. Then grab the screw with a pair of pliers and pull the seal out.

The factory installs the water pump seals backwards from the rest of the world, the manual shows the seal being installed backwards as well. The 530 comes with the spring side of the seal facing the weep hole, install the spring side of the seal facing the impeller instead.

My 530 is at 135hrs now and I haven't had a leak since.

Hope this helps.

Hodakaguy