Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #1681
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,961
There's a Motion Pro chain breaker & riveting tool that isn't too expensive and will work for your 990 too. The breaker pins sometimes break, but they are cheap to replace.

Yardstick screwed with this post 06-20-2011 at 06:59 PM
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #1682
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,676
do NOT buy the lightweight Motion Pro aluminum one. Useless. The tool bends way before you get the side plates on or the pins pushed out.

Get the cheap (heavy) steel one. I use a clip master which has worked fine for the past 40 hours, but the riveted is nice also, probably better, although perhaps less "field serviceable".

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #1683
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 816
Sprockets and chains....Steel rear?

And while we're on the topic of sprockets and chains...

So how many hours do you think a front sprocket will go before it starts to stretch the chain? or How long does the chain last before it stretches and wears the sprockets out?

I'm at 25 hours of almost excusively mud riding in 1st - 3rd gears with the current 14/50 steel and an EK o-ringer. The chain is showing a couple of stiff links Sprockets look fine to my eye...

I'm on my 4th set and finally went to a steel rear sprocket to save $. Not sure any more.

What's the economical maintenance plan?
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #1684
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewhohesit8s View Post
Thanks for the confirmations, I was wondering how wise it would be to add a link to my stock chain.

I ended up ordering a D.I.D 520VM X-ring 120 links. My guess is I'll need 119. It'll be here tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it uses a riveted master, so I'll probably need to also get the special purpose tool to rivet the master and another to break the stock chain off the bike and remove the extra link off the new chain. I didn't realize, when I decided to to my own wrenching on the 530 how many tools I didn't have.
Welcome Kitchener!

Listen to me! Jjust put a 13t on the front and ride that thing.

13/45 is the same as 14/48 and you won't tell the difference Stock chain, stock rear sprocket and the mud flap won't touch and for 30$, no special tools, you will be riding for 50 hours.

And if you make 119 links work, post a pic. Ithink your parts counter guy recognizes your wifes credit card....adopt me
Old 06-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #1685
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

I put on new grips and went racin!

I got home and had to treat a few blisters.

Protaper Pillow Top

Very good grip...not for gentleman's hands
Old 06-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #1686
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewhohesit8s View Post
Thanks for the confirmations, I was wondering how wise it would be to add a link to my stock chain.

I ended up ordering a D.I.D 520VM X-ring 120 links. My guess is I'll need 119. It'll be here tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it uses a riveted master, so I'll probably need to also get the special purpose tool to rivet the master and another to break the stock chain off the bike and remove the extra link off the new chain. I didn't realize, when I decided to to my own wrenching on the 530 how many tools I didn't have.
I just use a master link..they haven't failed me yet, althought the clip looks brittle when the front sprockets teeth are curled up.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #1687
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman
13/45 is the same as 14/48 and you won't tell the difference ...
FD is Right
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #1688
hewhohesit8s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
Welcome Kitchener!

Thanks for the welcome. Great advice!!! Where were you last week when I was doing my cursory googlizing trying to figure which sprocket combo to go with!!

Quote:
13/45 is the same as 14/48 and you won't tell the difference Stock chain, stock rear sprocket and the mud flap won't touch and for 30$, no special tools, you will be riding for 50 hours.

And if you make 119 links work, post a pic. Ithink your parts counter guy recognizes your wifes credit card....adopt me
Ya, at this point, I'm intent on throwing as much of my wife's good money after the bad as I need to. I will post the result of my fuster cluck mod attempt whatever the outcome. May others learn from my trial and errors.
'10 KTM 530EXC
'04 HD 1200C
hewhohesit8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:42 PM   #1689
bdm626
n00b

Oddometer: 1
fwiw, a 13T front sprocket was my first mod right after buying my '08 530EXC new in April '08. A week ago I just replaced the chain and sprockets for the first time at ~4K miles, ~200hours !!! Stock stuff is excellent. The original 13/45 setup has taken me everywhere, from goat trails in the Sierras, Nat'l Hare 'n Hounds in the Mojave, trail riding in Moab, occasional laps on an MX track, and a bit of exploring on cool paved roads in the Santa Cruz mtns near home. My valves have never needed adjusting and there's no evidence of any oil problems. It starts easy and runs strong. It's really hard to believe how reliable this bike has been. My $0.02
-Brian
bdm626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #1690
bads1buell
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugerush View Post
Remove existing bolt and spacer and install part number 0019080206S bolt (just shorter). Kickstand now works like it should.

I know a certain dealer that did this to all of his Katooms after a customer did a domino demonstration with his floor stock!
Thanks,
I will give this a try.
bads1buell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #1691
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Bluhduh

Quote:
I put on new grips and went racin!

I got home and had to treat a few blisters.

Protaper Pillow Top

Very good grip...not for gentleman's hands
Dang, I just put on a set of these. I will see how they are today.
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #1692
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,847
Quote:
What's the economical maintenance plan?
I'm a big fan of the dirt tricks ironman sprockets.

They aren't cheap to buy, but they last incredibly well. I've got one that has been on all the 530's I've owned, plus serving some time on my 300- probably 600 hours, still looks like new.

I find that the chain lasts much longer, because it's not being pulled across irregular sprocket tooth spacing, so the load stays even. I routinely get 100+ hours out of chains, which was unheard of before using these sprockets. FWIW, I do next to nothing for chain maintenance, an occasional blast with lube if its lucky, but nothing usually.

I put on a couple of front sprockets per chain, have given up on telling the difference between brands, so I've been using primary drive or whatever my dealer had on the shelf cheap. They all seem to begin hooking at 40-50 hours.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #1693
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Oddometer: 839
Dirt Tricks sprockets are the best out there IMO. They are a little more exspensive, but as Neduro said they last forever. I had over 1000+ hours on my 525, sold the bike with it on there looking fairly new. Great product.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #1694
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Welcome Kitchener!

I wish I had known this when I first bought my 2009 530. I went with 14/48, rode it awhile, then got a 13 tooth cs. much better for tighter trails. 14/48 and 13/45 are good all-around but a bit tall for tight stuff. I'm still running the same rear sprocket, KTM AL-Steel teeth combo rear with Dirt Tricks front and stock chain. Gotta be almost 100 hours.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:13 AM   #1695
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
Dang, I just put on a set of these. I will see how they are today.

Nope, no blisters.