Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #1726
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob599 View Post
Hi, just recieved my clockwork 3.4 gallon tank and Im not sure if I got the right one. Ordered it on line from just gas tanks and then called them to make sure I recieved the one for the 2011 530 EXC. Evidently they have two, one that has holes for bolts and one that is for self tapping screws to attatch the stock shrouds. The one I recieded has pre set holes but not threaded holes. Is this right or should it have brass fittings for bolts or what? No body is answering at Just Gas Tanks or Clockwork so I thought you guys would know. My bike wont be in till next week so I have nothing to compare it to.

Help, thanks.

I would just buy the KTM "wood screws" from your dealer and use the tank Just Gas Tanks sent you. Or have Just Gas Tanks send you a set. Those screws work pretty good IMO.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #1727
Bob599
Bob599

Oddometer: 284
Screw it!

Yeah I just dropped it off at the dealer and they said its under control. Thanks for the responses!
Old 07-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #1728
GJRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
coolant catch tanks

Are any of you guys running coolant catch tanks?
GJRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #1729
Bora20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJRider View Post
Nope. I haven't lost a drop of coolant with the fan.
Bora20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #1730
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 816
Coolant Catch Tank

Quote:
Nope. I was tempted with that mod first regarding over heating...especially since the jap bikes go that route. I rode my bike for about 3-4 rides on single track with just the basic mods, needle raised 2 positions, fuel catch can removed and uncorked. It rode fine and never boiled over with air temp. around 25Celsius.

To be safe, I followed the flock and installed the fan & JD jetting and tried to stay with that last year. Every time raced, the fan drained the stock battery, I had to kick a lot, So, I now have the TurnTech battery and Trailtech stator.

With the fan in with the stock themostat, it never boils over..must be better for the motor than boiling over and letting it cool.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:36 AM   #1731
GJRider
Adventurer

Thanks everyone Do the Ktm fan kits run all the time? Or have any of you put a switch to run it manually?
Old 07-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #1732
Hugerush
Furbrain

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Thanks everyone Do the Ktm fan kits run all the time? Or have any of you put a switch to run it manually?
The fan is activated by a temperature switch and only runs when the coolant is hot.

It is, however, connected directly to the battery and will run if the coolant is hot enough regardless of the ignition switch (key) position (like a typical car with an electric radiator fan).

Some people add a switch so they can disconnect it if required to conserve (battery) power. I have found, if it does run after stopping, it is not for more than 5 to 10 seconds so no big deal.
Hugerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #1733
bootz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Talking

Quote:
I have an '08 530. Installed the fan kit, overflow tank, oversize water pump, high output stator, and a manual switch. We just got back from running the TAT in CO. Dropped down into Moab UT for a day or two (friekin hot!). JD Jetting set for 6000-9000 while in CO & rejetted to 3000-6000 for UT. Puttering around in town or doing slow trail work I'd run around 200 degrees. The highest temp I saw was 225. Running down the trail at speed it would vary anywhere from 177 to 200, depending on load and outside temperature. Never boiled over and didn't notice any change in the level within the catch tank. I'm thinking about adding larger radiators or maybe an oil cooler. I'd be much happier if I could keep the temp under 200.

I let the fan run all the time. With the high output stator and upgraded battery, there was never a time when the battery went low. I did kick start it a few times, just to make sure I could. Worked like a charm
Old 07-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #1734
GJRider
Adventurer

Bootz- Damn, you have all the goods wrapped up in one there! Sounds like a kick ass trip
Old 07-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #1735
bigborefan
Making new friends

Chilly White rides the 2010 500 XC-W.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/179/10...irst-Ride.aspx

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 07-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #1736
Special Purpose

Oddometer: 5,460
Curious what you all are using for carrying tools on the 530? I have used various tool bags over the years, but didn't want to put one on the 530. After carrying everything in a flight vest for a while, I'm starting to consider a tool bag again...

Pics of your set up appreciated.
309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #1737
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by 309 View Post
When running tubes, I run a spare tube in the airbox, across beneath the Battery.

Everything else, I carry in a camelback. My experience has been that stuff on the bike gets the crap beat out of it over time/ vibration.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #1738
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 816
I bought a second TwinAir Filter (pre-oiled) from Rocky Mountain ATV over the winter for multi-day rides. I finally put it on and noticed it was a little small-maybe a 1/4 inch around the rim. A bit of stretching and extra grease and it seemed to work OK.

I washed up both today and was able to compare it closely. They aren't stitched the same!

The stick-on lable on the bag does say KTM 530.

Anybody else notice this? I haven't spoken to R.M. ATV yet...

By the way, I found the pre-oiled filter twice as difficult to clean...like the dirt was glued in. Not sure if this is better?
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #1739
bigborefan
Making new friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by 309 View Post
Curious what you all are using for carrying tools on the 530? I have used various tool bags over the years, but didn't want to put one on the 530. After carrying everything in a flight vest for a while, I'm starting to consider a tool bag again...

Here is a good tool kit thread. Hilslamer has it all figured out IMO.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262998

I run the same belt as Hilslamer, OGIO 450. Mine is the cool KTM orange one. I modded it with some extra strap parts. It wouldn't stay tight.

I also had a Moose fanny pack before the OGIO, I liked it very much as well. Maybe a little better than the OGIO. Not sure if the new Moose is the same though.

I recently added a Kriega R15 backpack. I run a bladder in it. It holds spare gloves, spare goggles, wallet, cell phone, and whatever else. It is not very big, but fits really well. It's a nice backpack.

Motion Pro has a lot of cool tools. I run quite a few of their things in my tool bag. I especially like their aluminum tire tools with built in axle wrench.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #1740
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,483
I use a Wolfman Enduro Tool Kit for the tools.
Everything else I keep in the Camelback.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote