User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #1936
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,815
Relaying some info...

Ned was going thu the race bike. (09 KTM 450) Pulled the swing arm pivot. Bone dry, no grease applied at assembly. He then jumped on my 09 530 and my wife's 09 400. Same condition, dry.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #1937
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 774
Need a fan??

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2008-2011-HUS...item1e6634fc97
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #1938
Chowdown
Texas Aussie

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
Springs before Blings, big guy
aint that the truth. my ktm is the only bike that i had resprung for my 250 pound girlish figure, holy crap what a difference. who knew that forks werent supposed to dive to the stops under heavy braking?
Old 08-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #1939
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,179
Quote:
Sounds like you are ready for knee and elbow guards!
LOL... Yeah man...I'm going into this alllllll the way... I got the new bike, new gear (for dirt, dontcha know) and farkling my visa card into submission.... I simply cannot wait to get this thing out on some trails!

Quote:
Springs before Blings, big guy
Yeeeahhh buddy! I've actually had suspension work done on a couple other bikes over the years and there is no other single mod that will make you love your bike more.... I'm a "little" outside the window on this bike... sounds like fitting the proper springs is not going to be easy... But whatevs... I know it's going to be a WHOLE different bike, even if it isn't "perfect" for me.... lol.... can you just imagine what a marshmallow it's like right now with the stock springs?? LOL... poor bike....
I have some Racetech springs coming in on Friday, so I'm hoping that will be the jet kit, pip, fan, catch bottle, suspension and sprockets.... phew! That's quite a list when you stop to think about it! My new riding gear should be in on Friday also... you know what that means..... I'll have all matching gear! I think I've finally hit the age where now I'LL be the old, slow, fat guy with the kickass bike and matching gear! Oh, the shame!!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #1940
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,179
Quote:
I learned a little today:

Stock KTM are SKF and the dealer sells them for 66% of the price of my local bearing shop. My stock rear bearings went at 100+ hours.

All Balls were KML bearings, and only lasted 50 hours...but I did pack them with grease which some say is incorrect...YMMV
They actually tell you NOT to grease the bearings??? Ohhhh Kayyyy...... Man, every 50 hours I'm going to be doing bearings?? Damn. This thing is going to keep me busy I can see that already.... 1.8 hours and Dutch is telling me to do the top end! And here I thought he was kidding....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #1941
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
KTM extended warranty?

"Does KTM offer extended plans on such a race-type bike? I"

Haknslash, I would be the first to praise these bikes---they are great bikes.

At the same time I am reminded of what my brother told me---he is a grizzled old wise world traveler. He told me that the only difference between an Austrian and a German is the name of the country they live it. He added ---You can ALWAYS tell a German----but you can't tell him much!

I don't think KTM even gives a tinkers damn about basic warranty (let alone extended) ----they sure didn't do anything for me. And anyone that wants detail ---just PM me with your email address.
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #1942
BikerRoni
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Rerouting Carb vent hoses to Airbox? Good Idea?

I was told that if I rerouted the (4) Carb vent hoses to the top of the airbox , it would be a good way to prevent water from getting into carbs during water crossings. I found a good spot in the airbox, just behind the rear shock reservoir in which I could drill small holes and insert the 4 carb lines and seal the entry points on both sides with silicone. The lines would be protected from moisture and be about as high up on the bike as possible.

Is this a good idea?
BikerRoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #1943
haknslash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseret Rider View Post
"Does KTM offer extended plans on such a race-type bike? I"

Haknslash, I would be the first to praise these bikes---they are great bikes.

At the same time I am reminded of what my brother told me---he is a grizzled old wise world traveler. He told me that the only difference between an Austrian and a German is the name of the country they live it. He added ---You can ALWAYS tell a German----but you can't tell him much!

I don't think KTM even gives a tinkers damn about basic warranty (let alone extended) ----they sure didn't do anything for me. And anyone that wants detail ---just PM me with your email address.
Yea I didn't think there would be a way any company would ever put a warranty on this kind of bike for more than a few months. But I have seen it posted on ktmtalk and a few other places when doing some research over the past few months on the bike. Maybe it was some crazy funny inside joke, I sure as heck thought it had to be

Like I mentioned I've always bought new and wrenched on my own bikes. Never had to deal with a dealership or warranty, even if for only 6 months. I don't really intend to go back to the dealer for any work if I don't have to but I guess its nice to know there is some little window of warranty for first few gremlins on a new bike or something. After that we all know its fair game and up to the owner. Sounds like you had a different experience though. Hope I don't have to experience anything bad. I'm stoked as hell though and need to hit the sack. Leaving in about 6 hours to get the ball rolling on the new bike.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #1944
Bora20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerRoni View Post
I was told that if I rerouted the (4) Carb vent hoses to the top of the airbox , it would be a good way to prevent water from getting into carbs during water crossings. I found a good spot in the airbox, just behind the rear shock reservoir in which I could drill small holes and insert the 4 carb lines and seal the entry points on both sides with silicone. The lines would be protected from moisture and be about as high up on the bike as possible.

Is this a good idea?
My lines are routed to the bottom and the bike will run no problems in standing water to and over the footpegs. I have stopped in water deeper than this and it is just fine. The KTM XC/XC-W bikes are all routed below the bike and there are no issues.

I made my bike into a XC-W and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference besides the signals.

Bora20 screwed with this post 08-17-2011 at 10:07 PM
Bora20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:19 AM   #1945
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
What compares to the S12 for traction, and might cost less???
30 hours? Wow! I get about 5-8 hours from a se of S12s, I love the feel but can't put tires on daily. Weekly is bad enough.

I'm very happy with Bridgestone 403/404 for almost all conditions, they hook up well, and last much better than the Dunlop/ Michelins I've tried. Try the 90 size front.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #1946
Special Purpose

Oddometer: 5,453
Anybody know where I can download a service manual for the 530?
309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:51 PM   #1947
Bora20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by 309 View Post
Anybody know where I can download a service manual for the 530?
The DVD is about $30 from the dealer.
Bora20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #1948
haknslash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Never bought a brand new bike before but I decided after months of riding the fence to finally pull the trigger.

The dealership had already rejetted the bike to fatten it up. I've already had boil over because of the crappy smog and WAYYYY TOO tall of gearing. Once I get the basic mods completed I will be a happy camper. Thank you greenies for making our lives hell with having to buy new bikes and then "tune" them just so they will run properly. It's a wonder these things can even idle lol.

Anyways here she is before a single scratch. i'm sure it won;t last long. Almost dropped it on the trail already from stalling due to the crazy tall gearing. Going to try 14/48 comb then go from there. Needs steering stabilizer to slow down the steering over rough terrain. Very twitchy without one. Lovin' the bike and it's my first KTM.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #1949
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Go Tide!

I'm thinking ---"He's washed that bike already!

You are now officially a candidate for the Hodakaguy cleanest bike in the country award.
(and we WILL be watching ha ha)
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #1950
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,619
They look so pretty when new not for long.. Congrats!
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote