Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #2086
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
I have a bit of a leak under my waterpump cover.

I have only drained 600ml from the transmission the last few changes.

How much can I ride before big problems? I've got a big enduro next weekend...
KTM Talk I guess...
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #2087
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
KTM Talk I guess...
What are you leaking? Oil? Coolant?

Is the engine side ok, or are you transferring oil?

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #2088
terry.mc
Stop ruining my vacation

Oddometer: 5,587
Does anyone else see these marks on the inside of their fork protectors?

I was riding with another 530 rider this weekend and it looks like we both have them. Not sure if the marks are rocks that get picked up in the side knobs or actual wheel deflection causing the contact...

terry.mc screwed with this post 09-19-2011 at 11:06 AM
terry.mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #2089
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
What are you leaking? Oil? Coolant?

Is the engine side ok, or are you transferring oil?

dc
Pretty sure it is coolant...seems all around the gasket though.?

Re: Tranny Oil loss - Engine side seems normal...as it ever is but if it is transferring, it seems to be evacuating through one of the typical 530 ways - 1) rings 2) venting 3) valve seals

How common was the oil transfer issue...I thought they addressed that with the 09 models?

I must admit that it was on it's side more than usual last weekend...maybe 10 times.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #2090
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
" I must admit that it was on it's side more than usual last weekend...maybe 10 times."

That's one more than the required 9 times Dutch----indicating that you are riding fast enough. Anything less than 9 denotes that you weren't really trying.
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #2091
Hugerush
Furbrain

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Pretty sure it is coolant...seems all around the gasket though.?
There is a weep hole on the bottom of (an inboard of) the water pump cover to indicate the coolant seal under the impeller is leaking. This leak is fairly common from what I can read. Also, a lot of people INSIST that seal is installed backwards by KTM and this is the cause of the leak. Quite a few people claim to have rectified their leak by reversing the seal. I changed the impeller out to the high flow model and did reverse the seal, based on the argument put forth on KTMTALK that it is backwards. The easiest way is to hit it with compressed air through the weep hole and it will slowly POP out (with the impeller off, of course). Good luck.
Hugerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #2092
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,053
First Time Chain Change, I'm Stuck!! Help Please!

Well I did it again went nuts with the wrench and now Im sitting in the garage scratching my head about what length the new chain should be. I had stock gearing on the bike, 15/45. I am now in the process of putting on 14/48 combo with new chain.

I laid out the new EK chain its a 520x120 O Ring chain and when I lay it next to the chain that I just took off the bike it is 3 or 4 links longer than the stock chain.

Should I just break the chain at the length of the original chain or just put the chain on as is?
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
RuckedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #2093
Davebert
Too damn serious!

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuckedUp View Post
Well I did it again went nuts with the wrench and now Im sitting in the garage scratching my head about what length the new chain should be. I had stock gearing on the bike, 15/45. I am now in the process of putting on 14/48 combo with new chain.

I laid out the new EK chain its a 520x120 O Ring chain and when I lay it next to the chain that I just took off the bike it is 3 or 4 links longer than the stock chain.

Should I just break the chain at the length of the original chain or just put the chain on as is?
I would make the new chain 2 links longer than the oem.
DB
Davebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #2094
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuckedUp View Post
Well...

I am now in the process of putting on 14/48 combo with new chain.

....break the chain at the length of the original chain .....?
Cut it to 118....again
Old 09-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #2095
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugerush View Post
There is a weep hole on the bottom of (an inboard of) the water pump cover to indicate the coolant seal under the impeller is leaking. This leak is fairly common from what I can read. Also, a lot of people INSIST that seal is installed backwards by KTM and this is the cause of the leak. Quite a few people claim to have rectified their leak by reversing the seal. I changed the impeller out to the high flow model and did reverse the seal, based on the argument put forth on KTMTALK that it is backwards. The easiest way is to hit it with compressed air through the weep hole and it will slowly POP out (with the impeller off, of course). Good luck.
I ordered the water pump gasket:

GASKET WAPU-COVER 08

I can't imagine how that could be put on in reverse?? Are you talking about this part?
Old 09-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #2096
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
I ordered the water pump gasket:

GASKET WAPU-COVER 08

I can't imagine how that could be put on in reverse?? Are you talking about this part?

I think he's talking about the water pump shaft seal. I know they had some issues in the RFS bikes with those being installed backward. I hadn't seen any reports of it on the XC4's.
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #2097
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
I think he's talking about the water pump shaft seal. I know they had some issues in the RFS bikes with those being installed backward. I hadn't seen any reports of it on the XC4's.
Yep the outboard water pump seal (located directly behind the impeller) is installed backwards from the factory in our 530's compared to how the rest of the world installs them. Usually the spring side of the seal is towards the pressure side, the pressure in the system and the spring helps press the lip of the seal down on the shaft for a good seal. KTM installs our outer seal with the spring towards the weep hole (non pressure side), the pressure in the system try's to expand the seal and leak past it leaving only the spring to counteract the pressure in the system and keep the seal on the shaft.

My 530 started leaking about 80hrs or so, replaced the outer seal and installed it "backwards" with the spring on the pressure side...haven't had any problems since.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #2098
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
Yep the outboard water pump seal (located directly behind the impeller) is installed backwards from the factory in our 530's compared to how the rest of the world installs them. Usually the spring side of the seal is towards the pressure side, the pressure in the system and the spring helps press the lip of the seal down on the shaft for a good seal. KTM installs our outer seal with the spring towards the weep hole (non pressure side), the pressure in the system try's to expand the seal and leak past it leaving only the spring to counteract the pressure in the system and keep the seal on the shaft.

My 530 started leaking about 80hrs or so, replaced the outer seal and installed it "backwards" with the spring on the pressure side...haven't had any problems since.

Hodakaguy
Good to know! I'd only connected that issue to the RFS bikes. I'll be watching mine. Thanks for the confirmation/correction!
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #2099
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post

Hodakaguy
I had the same small leak from the WP hole. I ordered the new shaft seal planning to install it backwards, but was sent the inner seal not the outer one. I popped the original one out with my fingers and just reversed it on the spot. That was 60 hours and some hard riding ago, and no issues since (with respect to that leak )

Dutch, I have heard of transferring issues on some 09s, particularly early 09s. Not sure if that is your issue but if the tranny is not leaking and dropping 300ccs but the engine is staying constant, it must be going somewhere. I would guess it's transferring and then blowing by the rings, like mine was.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #2100
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Quote:
I had the same small leak from the WP hole. I ordered the new shaft seal planning to install it backwards, but was sent the inner seal not the outer one. I popped the original one out with my fingers and just reversed it on the spot. That was 60 hours and some hard riding ago, and no issues since (with respect to that leak )
I have coolant around the bottom and sides of my waterpump cover...Is this the gasket leaking as I assumed or is the seal the known cause of the leak. Does anyone have a pick of the weephole? I checked my coolant, it needed a bit

Quote:
Dutch, I have heard of transferring issues on some 09s, particularly early 09s. Not sure if that is your issue but if the tranny is not leaking and dropping 300ccs but the engine is staying constant, it must be going somewhere. I would guess it's transferring and then blowing by the rings, like mine was.

dc
I'm still hoping my tranny is venting the oil and burning it through the carb. Or hoping that it will survive until winter....I guess I will be doing frequent oil changes...

How is your re-build treating you? Any issues? How's the performance?