Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #2176
oinky1982
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseret Rider View Post
Oinky-----You are riding down the road 85 mph----you feel a terrible vibration----and you are twisting around and looking down at your chain and seeing it slapping up and down?????? Do I have that right?

Are you kidding me?
Yes, you're right but aroune 55 and 85 it does the same problem

No kidding
oinky1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #2177
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,580
I mentioned the MP rimloks for you. Balance your wheels, my 530 SM can run all day at 80 mph without a hint of vibration or chain slap.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #2178
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,175
I found that the petcocks on the 25 liter KTM tank are smaller then the (8mm?) stock petcocks?? Well that's just great...

Anyonr have fuel starvation when running the smaller (1/4") fuel line??

What a dumb thing to overlook....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #2179
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
85 mph---and what are you looking at?

I might ride my BMW at 85 mph----haven't been there with the KTM---but I can Garoooonteee that I'm not watching the chain at that speed! I do agree that lite locks (from Motion Pro) staged 180 degrees apart will improve balance---while making tire mounting harder---(unless you know my 'secret'.) *

Hmmmmm! come to think about it my BMW doesn't have a chain!

For 2 cents ( payable when we happen to meet on the trail somewhere) I'll divulge my secret method via PM to anyone who wants to know but only to those that changes their own tires. Those that pay the shops for that job won't need to know anyway.
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #2180
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
I found that the petcocks on the 25 liter KTM tank are smaller then the (8mm?) stock petcocks?? Well that's just great...

Anyonr have fuel starvation when running the smaller (1/4") fuel line??

What a dumb thing to overlook....
You won't notice any difference, 1/4" is plenty.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #2181
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,299
My brother rode his EXC 85mph all the way from Chico to the Virginia City race and then rode 85mph all the way back after he finished the race. Bike didn't miss a beat. It was on SM wheels (with his dirt wheels strapped to the back fender), but don't really see how that would affect chain slap or whatever. Just got a 450XC-W myself and it seems pretty smooth at-speed? Wonder what's wrong with yours.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #2182
Hodakaguy

I know it's been mentioned that KTM's like the chain ran on the loose side compared to most other bikes, but it's also easy to run it to loose. A chain that's to loose will cause excessive chain slap/noise and increase the likelihood of breaking a chain.

Ignore the sticker on the swingarm for chain adjustment as it's not accurate. Place the bike on a lift or a bike stand. Remove the rear shock (only two bolts and takes a couple minutes at most) and lift the swing arm up and through it's stroke by hand (chain will be loose initially, get tight, then get loose again as the swing arm goes through it's stroke), check the chain tension at several spots and find the tightest spot. Adjust the chain so you have a slight bit of slack at the tightest spot, re-install the shock and place the bike back on it's kick stand. Now measure your chain slack, this will be the slack you will want to adjust to from now on.

Hodakaguy
Old 10-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #2183
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
You won't notice any difference, 1/4" is plenty.

Hodakaguy
Thanks HG!
I really appreciate all the advice and info I've been getting from everyone. I'm about 90% done getting the bike modded - it will be done today barring anything out of the ordinary happening... and I can tell you, it's going to be one SAAAWEET ride when it's finished up, for the type of riding I have in mind for it...

I'll post some pics when I get'er done!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #2184
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
I know it's been mentioned that KTM's like the chain ran on the loose side compared to most other bikes, but it's also easy to run it to loose. A chain that's to loose will cause excessive chain slap/noise and increase the likelihood of breaking a chain.

Ignore the sticker on the swingarm for chain adjustment as it's not accurate. Place the bike on a lift or a bike stand. Remove the rear shock (only two bolts and takes a couple minutes at most) and lift the swing arm up and through it's stroke by hand (chain will be loose initially, get tight, then get loose again as the swing arm goes through it's stroke), check the chain tension at several spots and find the tightest spot. Adjust the chain so you have a slight bit of slack at the tightest spot, re-install the shock and place the bike back on it's kick stand. Now measure your chain slack, this will be the slack you will want to adjust to from now on.

Hodakaguy
Good info Thanks
bikepikespeak.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #2185
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 772
Quote:

Hodakaguy
I agree with this but how did it measure compared to the KTM advised method?

What factors into the reason we can't just have set KTM Chain Adjustment Measurement?

sprocket sizes?

chain length?

I run 13/50 and 14/50 using 118 link anybody measured those set-ups yet?
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #2186
Hodakaguy

I measure mine on the top of the swingarm at the end of the chain slider. The gap between the end of the slider and the chain end up being 3 fingers wide (mid finger), makes it real quick to reach down and check the measurment. You can also just measure the factory way and see what you get. Wherever you measure just use that measurment in the future to check adjustment and you should be fine.

I haven't given much thought to how different size sprockets etc would affect chain slack...It might affect it slightly depending on how far back or forward your wheel is mounted on the swingarm?, I wouldn't think by much though. With the linkless design and pivot point of our swingarm both sprockets will be closest (loose chain) when they are at either end of full swing arm stroke (either up or down) and farthest from each other (tight chain) when the sprockets are in line with each other (about half stroke on the swing arm).

The bikes are all the same so someones measurments should work for you, it's really easy just to check it though and have good peace of mind that your not over tight or to loose.

Hodakaguy
Old 10-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #2187
Fulano
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 423
Drowned bike

Drowned the bike this past weekend. Changed the oil and filter until it ran clear.
The tranny oil was whiter than the engine oil. I can understand the engine oil turning into a milkshake, it ain't my first attempt at scubaing, but the tranny? How'd it get in there?

All I need are loose shoes, tight pussy and a warm place to shit.
Fulano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #2188
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulano View Post
Drowned the bike this past weekend. Changed the oil and filter until it ran clear.
The tranny oil was whiter than the engine oil. I can understand the engine oil turning into a milkshake, it ain't my first attempt at scubaing, but the tranny? How'd it get in there?
Stock it is vented to the carb.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #2189
KevinColorado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Why the 530??

My neighbor has been considering purchasing a 530 for quite a while... I've given him all the reasons I chose the 530

What are ya'alls reasons for choosing the 530??

I want to give him a long list of pros so he feels good about the cash he's about to drop.
KevinColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #2190
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinColorado View Post
My neighbor has been considering purchasing a 530 for quite a while... I've given him all the reasons I chose the 530

What are ya'alls reasons for choosing the 530??

I want to give him a long list of pros so he feels good about the cash he's about to drop.
Lightweight, big bore bike with good reviews that comes street legal. Really not that many choices in CA.

steve
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote