User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #2281
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Doc,

I misstakenly put down the #48 the actual jet installed was the #42.

I went ahead and de-smogged it cost me $5 bucks in parts and then added a fuel mixture screw for anothe $14. I did something a little different in my Des-mog. I routed the crankcase breathe line into the airbox so that the air filter will filter the air going to the crank case instead of the hose just dangling in the breeze free to pick up whatever dirt it wants. I used the original nipple off of the carb and got a nut to match at Napa.

Now to get it out today.
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #2282
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
Doc,

I misstakenly put down the #48 the actual jet installed was the #42.

I went ahead and de-smogged it cost me $5 bucks in parts and then added a fuel mixture screw for anothe $14. I did something a little different in my Des-mog. I routed the crankcase breathe line into the airbox so that the air filter will filter the air going to the crank case instead of the hose just dangling in the breeze free to pick up whatever dirt it wants. I used the original nipple off of the carb and got a nut to match at Napa.

Now to get it out today.
How's it running?

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:39 AM   #2283
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

It ran great yesterday at Marshall Creek in the sandy slime. I have to learn how to ride in the dirt all over again. 3-4 years away from it have taken a toll. I will need to do some suspension adjustments next for my lard ass. A new rear spring will be in order. I had to adjust the shift lever so that it was not dead level or below the peg. Got home and cleaned it all up oiled the chain and will see how it all looks in the day light today when I get home from the oriface.

Did the de-smog and decided it would be prudent to route the crankcase breather line into the airbox so that the airfilter provides some filtration.

Krazyjohnny screwed with this post 10-24-2011 at 07:18 AM
Old 10-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #2284
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
wow

I went out and had a little fun the yesterday and the weekend prior. Man this bike is a BLAST!! I moved to the 530 from the 640 Adventure (which I still love and is for sale) It was a REALLY hard choice for me to make, but I am glad I did. I think the 530 is a better fit for me and that's been confirmed for me so far each time I've ridden it. I still need some suspension work, but other than that I am way impressed. Here's a couple of shots of the fun.

A nice little picture on why these bikes need the euro fender. That plate done got curled in after hitting a couple of those jumps! haha

bikepikespeak.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #2285
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepikespeak.com View Post
Man this bike is a BLAST!! I moved to the 530 from the 640 Adventure (which I still love and is for sale) It was a REALLY hard choice for me to make, but I am glad I did. I think the 530 is a better fit for me and that's been confirmed for me so far each time I've ridden it.
I only missed my '07 640 ADV for 10 minutes after I bought an '07 525, and have only wished I had the bigger bike once or twice since then. You have moved on to some fun times!

The day after I got it, it got screwed, which I never would have imagined doing to the 640.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #2286
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepikespeak.com View Post

A nice little picture on why these bikes need the euro fender. That plate done got curled in after hitting a couple of those jumps! haha

ps, Good choice on the Euro fender. It is much better than the Sicass one from what I have experienced, as it is a universal fit deal, and doesn't have the structural support the euro one offers. Your rear fender will be a'waggin with the Sicass.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:24 AM   #2287
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

After my ride this weekend I figured out my shift lever was not in the best place to get my boot under and make a positive upshift. I ended up moving it up a few notches. I am sure this is a common thing. I was very happy to see this too was an easy task. So far everything has been very easy to do on this bike except getting the screen out of the gearbox side of the case. A better headlight will be in order. That little bulb as a low beam is a joke and the high beam is well, really the low beam as compared to my other vehicles.

Anyone got a simple replacement for the headlight that doesn't break the bank? (under $100)
Old 10-26-2011, 06:17 AM   #2288
Storm Howlet
The Storm Owl

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post

Anyone got a simple replacement for the headlight that doesn't break the bank? (under $100)

I was looking at these yesterday on sale for $95, but don't know of anyone who has them to give me any real world feedback.

Acerbis Headlight LED Vision Orange
http://www.mx1west.com/acerbisheadli...ionorange.aspx

DOT version - Acerbis Headlight LED Vision HP Orange
http://www.mx1west.com/acerbisheadli...nhporange.aspx
Old 10-26-2011, 06:45 AM   #2289
Critic
More or less!

Oddometer: 1,235
PHP Code:
oil burn
Questions 
for the knowledge...
I have noticed the past two times I rode my bike for a couple hours or more that the next day when I happen to look at my sight glass the oil is no where to be seenI know specifically this last time it was at least 3/4 of the way up... Should I not worry about the sight glass and only measure based off of what goes in and how much comes out...or is this a ridiculous amount of oil to be missing after one ride
I would drain and measure both transmission and engine oil. There are a couple problems that can oil to transfer from the engine to transmission. I had at least one of them; a pressed on gear with a hole in it for oil flow, that did not stay aligned with a oil passage.
past:BigBear250,T100cs,Savage250s,TS185,DT175,GT550,TY250,XR200/350/250,R75/7,Ft500,RD350,YZ125,KDX175,SP500,K1000rs,DR250,883,S1,ST2,KLX650,KE100,GS1000,Monster,Vstr om1000&650,950adv,625sxc,250SSherpa,530exc,990adv, 690e
Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #2290
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Howlet View Post
I was looking at these yesterday on sale for $95, but don't know of anyone who has them to give me any real world feedback.

Acerbis Headlight LED Vision Orange
http://www.mx1west.com/acerbisheadli...ionorange.aspx

DOT version - Acerbis Headlight LED Vision HP Orange
http://www.mx1west.com/acerbisheadli...nhporange.aspx

I use these guys......http://www.pmxtec.com/upgrades.htm

works great and you get to keep the cool looking stock headlight!

bnundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #2291
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,334
Just finished setting-up my new 2010 450XCW. Installed a Baja Designs 8" HID racelight and a high-output stator from Trailtech. Super nice bright white light, full brightness at idle.

Oh, and there was something wrong with the first reg/rec that was included in the kit, so they sent me a replacement, and it's a new style 'switching' reg/rec with a relay in it that senses when the stator is putting out power. Turns the headlight on/off with the engine (can still operate it with the headlight switch too). It's got an adjustable time-delay feature, which allows you to set it up so the light will stay on for a predetermined amount of time after the engine is turned off - useful if you stall the engine, etc. The new reg/rec is not on their website yet, but is available if you ask for it ($15 upgrade if you're buying a stator kit at the same time).
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #2292
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Just finished setting-up my new 2010 450XCW. Installed a Baja Designs 8" HID racelight and a high-output stator from Trailtech. Super nice bright white light, full brightness at idle.

Oh, and there was something wrong with the first reg/rec that was included in the kit, so they sent me a replacement, and it's a new style 'switching' reg/rec with a relay in it that senses when the stator is putting out power. Turns the headlight on/off with the engine (can still operate it with the headlight switch too). It's got an adjustable time-delay feature, which allows you to set it up so the light will stay on for a predetermined amount of time after the engine is turned off - useful if you stall the engine, etc. The new reg/rec is not on their website yet, but is available if you ask for it ($15 upgrade if you're buying a stator kit at the same time).
What a great looking bike!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:55 AM   #2293
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post

Who makes that kickstand? Is it better than stock? Mine is constantly loose and a bit too short.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #2294
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
Who makes that kickstand? Is it better than stock? Mine is constantly loose and a bit too short.
That's the Pro-Moto Billet Kickstand. I've ran one for 150hrs or so now and it's been great! Built a LOT better than stock and adds extra security when hauling heavy loads on the bike.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #2295
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

In planning for a suspension upgrade I am also looking at the gear I plan to carry on the bike for 1 to 2 night out and backs. I am looking at a Giant Loop tank bag since it says it is "water proof" although I have heard stories their zippers are not on other bags and the Kriega US70 kit. This should give me plenty of gear storage for all my stuff and clothing. I may come up with some sort of custom rack system after messing with things. Most important things on board will be tools, tubes, tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, Jet boil, food, water, and dry clothes. I do not like the Giant loop "horse shoe" style bags. I like the Wolfman Rolie system, but it does not look like it has much capacity.

So with all of that said does anyone know what the stock spring rate is for the 08' 530 EXCR? I am currently 230 lbs and will probably add 40 lbs of gear to the bike with the above stuff.