Old 11-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #2341
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopaca View Post
Britania - this is the lynx model website is:
http://www.britanniacomposites.com/lynx.html

It is pricey but it gave me the lighting I want as well as the ability to have a higher fairing for the long asphalt runs I am anticipating.
FWIW, I've come to the conclusion that having weight on the steering head is bogus. I'm going to be reworking my Superenduro whenever I quit hemorrhaging money on this Dakar folly.

C.Vestal's kit, that we developed for my Dakar bike, is going to be available commercially and at a very good price, before very long. His deal, not mine, but I'm a believer. Simple, bolt on, installs or removes in less than an hour, and we have thousands of miles on them now with great success.

To me, this is an ideal solution for the kind of Baja/ Nevada/ exploring stuff we all enjoy doing on these bikes. The difference that proper wind protection (and taller gearing) makes can scarcely be believed. Suddenly, the bike is transformed from windy and chaotic to smooth and mile-eating, but you retain the ability to not just survive but charge even very technical situations. There's minimal sacrifice off-road (really, none at all until you're in tight trees) and everything involved is tough, simple, and relatively cheap.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #2342
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
FWIW, I've come to the conclusion that having weight on the steering head is bogus.
Just to clarify, you're saying that you agree with everyone that talks about the negative effects of having a substantial amount of weight on the forks? Right? Yeah, can see how a lightweight frame-mounted light/fairing setup would be much more ideal. The 8" racelight I just put on my bike really does affect the way it steers.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #2343
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Just to clarify, you're saying that you agree with everyone that talks about the negative effects of having a substantial amount of weight on the forks?
Correct, I want to have my bars turn independent of any significant weight.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #2344
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Sure, makes a lot of sense. All the new LED lighting makes it less of an issue, but can see how the fairing itself being mounted to the forks might affect handling. Some of the Baja teams experimented with frame-mounted headlights that were connected to the forks, so that the lights turned with the handlebars, but the forks were not actually supporting the weight. Not sure how that works, because it seemed to me that the lights being connected to the forks would still slow the steering. Thought it was pretty cool that it would allow you to play with linkages though, as the lights and forks didn't have to be connected 1:1.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #2345
KTM Explorer
Dirt Whore

Oddometer: 194
A bit OT: You like the Renazco seat? I've my eye on that one as well
KTM Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #2346
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,488

Installed the ballast plate and then mounted the Zumo to it.

I really like this light.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #2347
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Hey Ned, why the aftermarket triple clamps?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:05 AM   #2348
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Explorer View Post
A bit OT: You like the Renazco seat? I've my eye on that one as well
I don't like it, I love it! James is a real craftsman and does an incredible job, and has the knowledge to get that balance between firm and supportive, with soft enough to be cushy (too soft, I find, feels good in the garage and terrible at the end of a long day). Absolutely fantastic!

Quote:
Hey Ned, why the aftermarket triple clamps?
I want a submount damper for obvious reasons, there are two ways to accomplish that. This setup is rubber isolated (isolates vibes, which is nice!), and everything rides on two large bolts that are easy to replace in the event of a crash (that I hope not to have). The bolt on submount that goes with the stock triple can "smear" in a big crash with the leverage from the bars and be ruined.

So, more comfortable and stronger, if I had to distill it to just a few words.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #2349
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Correct, I want to have my bars turn independent of any significant weight.
So that's why my KLR handled so well...

FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #2350
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 817
[QUOTE=neduro;17269789]FWIW......

QUOTE]

White plastic looks great, eh!?
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #2351
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,678
[QUOTE=FlyingDutchman;17273519]
Quote:
FWIW......

QUOTE]

White plastic looks great, eh!?
That does look great

I have the same big tank from the P2D rally. Methinks I might be ordering up a C.Vestal kit and some white plastics!

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #2352
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
I want a submount damper for obvious reasons, there are two ways to accomplish that. This setup is rubber isolated (isolates vibes, which is nice!), and everything rides on two large bolts that are easy to replace in the event of a crash (that I hope not to have). The bolt on submount that goes with the stock triple can "smear" in a big crash with the leverage from the bars and be ruined.

So, more comfortable and stronger, if I had to distill it to just a few words.
Know exactly what you mean about the KTM under bar stabilizer mounts smearing. My brother has been through a few of them, most recently ruined one in a crash on my new bike while racing V2R. The smaller hardware seems much more prone to bending too, even in light get-offs. Never had that problem on any of my other bikes. Wonder why KTM uses those silly little bolts. Am running a PRD under bar mount right now, with a pair of PHDS perches that I machined to work with the under bar stabilizer. You were running those on one of your bikes for a while, right? Notice any difference? Which do you prefer? Those Honda-style rubber mounts get twisted-up pretty easily too, but they're usually just as easy to bang-back into place. One of the things I like most about those BRP upper triples is they give you the ability to run inner hand triple-mounted inner handguard mounts (like these).
Old 11-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #2353
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
Am running a PRD under bar mount right now, with a pair of PHDS perches that I machined to work with the under bar stabilizer. You were running those on one of your bikes for a while, right? Notice any difference? Which do you prefer?
I'm interested in this too.

I picked up a used set of PHDS perches, but found that the tabs that interface with the triple clamp are too narrow to fit. They wouldn't fit my 2004 200 EXC either.

I now bought a BRP sub mount for my SCOTTS damper, which are much wider than OEM.

So when you said you machined the PHDS perches, did you machine off those tabs on the bottom? Seems like they are there to help keep them from twisting in a crash.

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #2354
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

They have a 20mm wide slot and fit the CNC machined triple clamps, but the slot on the cast/forged triple clamps is wider and they will not fit those. I've got a 2010 XCW that came with the billet triples, so didn't have any problems there. Only clearance issue was related to the Scotts steering stabilizer that I wanted to mount under the bars. The PHDS perches are just much bigger than the regular perches, so I had to mill slot-pockets into them for clearance. Can post pics if you want to see what I'm talking about.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:07 AM   #2355
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
They have a 20mm wide slot and fit the CNC machined triple clamps, but the slot on the cast/forged triple clamps is wider and they will not fit those. I've got a 2010 XCW that came with the billet triples, so didn't have any problems there. Only clearance issue was related to the Scotts steering stabilizer that I wanted to mount under the bars. The PHDS perches are just much bigger than the regular perches, so I had to mill slot-pockets into them for clearance. Can post pics if you want to see what I'm talking about.
You mean like this? (credit to Javahead)

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote