Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #2356
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,859
Now were talking. I had it in my head to mill the tabs off PHDS perches, but then that would allow them to rotate in a crash.

Now to find a machinist who works for beer.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #2357
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,298
Here's what I've got going on right now. Bought an under bar stabilizer mount from PRD. Really nice made little part, Made in the USA, and thought the price was very reasonable considering both of those things. Would have been a straight bolt-in deal except that am running these PHDS perches, and then I wanted to make a few small changes/improvements.

The BRP SUB-mount for the KTM bikes is not made with the same 20mm wide slot that the factory billet KTM triple clamps have, so none of the handlebar perches with 20mm wide slots will not work - at least not without either, 1) modifying the SUB-mount (like Javahead & LukasM), or 2) machining/filing off the slot-tabs on the perches. Have talked to BRP about this issue, so they're aware of it, but dunno if they're going to change the way they make those parts. The PRD underbar stabilizer mount is machined with 20mm wide slots, so I didn't have to modify it to work with the slotted perches that I'm running.

My brother has been through a couple of the BRP SUB-mounts on his EXC, and don't think it's got anything to do with the quality of BRP's parts, it's just a matter of leverage. Not sure why KTM is using smaller hardware than all the other manufacturers, but they just don't seem to hold up very well when used with handlebar risers of any substantial height (+.5-.75" maybe?). After smearing the first BRP SUB-mount, we drilled-out the threaded bolt-holes. 2nd SUB-mount smeared too, but that was during a particularly hard (race-ending) crash during the V2R race. Still think drilling out the threaded perches to secure the underbar stabilizer mount with four bolts is step in the right direction, so that was the first thing I did with this PRD mount.

Then I mocked-up the stabilizer mount and all the rest of the parts to take a look at the overall stack-height. Found that the setup was about an 1/8" taller than it needed to be, so machined that amount off the underside of the PRD stabilizer mount. Know that a lot of people like the additional height, so it's not good or bad, but I like the lower bars position better on this bike.

...and this is what we were talking about: machining pockets into the PHDS perches so they would work with the underbar-mounted steering stabilizer. Think I read something about Neduro having to modify his perches in a similar fashion.

Had to turn-down the heads on a couple of 12.9 allen-bolts in order to work with the new/modified parts.

And this is how it turned-out. Haven't had a chance to ride it off-road yet, but have been bombing it around on the street a bit, and haven't found the vibes to be a problem at all. Not idea if I can attribute that to these perches though, because I just picked this bike up, and never rode it with the hard-mounted perches. What have you guys noticed? Noticeable difference? Talked to Charlie at rallypanam about them and he said they worked great for him. Mine were used, so I poked around online and found out that a company called XTRIG makes them for KTM (along with most of the billet aluminum machined parts that come on KTM's). Evidently XTRIG makes and sells their own version of these clamps, and when I called to ask about purchasing some replacement parts (elastomer bumpers), we got to talking about the perches and I was told the they have made several improvements to the newer XTRIG versions. Wondering what those are. Anybody tried them? They're going to set me a set to do a review/comparison. Will post-up as soon as I get them. Only thing I know so far is that they use a wider slot, so they won't key into the billet tripleclamps, but might work with the cast/forged tripleclamps?

jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #2358
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post

My brother has been through a couple of the BRP SUB-mounts on his EXC, and don't think it's got anything to do with the quality of BRP's parts, it's just a matter of leverage. Not sure why KTM is using smaller hardware than all the other manufacturers, but they just don't seem to hold up very well when used with handlebar risers of any substantial height (+.5-.75" maybe?). After smearing the first BRP SUB-mount, we drilled-out the threaded bolt-holes. 2nd SUB-mount smeared too, but that was during a particularly hard (race-ending) crash during the V2R race. Still think drilling out the threaded perches to secure the underbar stabilizer mount with four bolts is step in the right direction, so that was the first thing I did with this PRD mount.

I did the same thing, and I think anyone with this type of riser, of which there are a few manufacturers, ought to consider drilling the threads out and mounting it with a through bolt to the triple. I mentioned it to PRD, but he hadn't really heard of any problems. It's a shame they aren't drilled already, since the hole alignment is perfect to the triple to allow 4 bolt mounting.

This was mine after a relatively minor high side on ice. After this, I replaced the bent bolts, drilled the threads and it hasn't moved yet, and it has had at one giant wreck, and many small offs.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:05 AM   #2359
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
after a relatively minor high side
I would argue there is no such thing!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #2360
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,273
[QUOTE=FlyingDutchman;17273519]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
FWIW......

QUOTE]

White plastic looks great, eh!?
I think Ned has built a pretty sweet ride there. Seems like he kept it simple and straight forward.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #2361
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,879
Quote:
I would argue there is no such thing!

Yes, you're right on that. Check out the 1:47 mark on. It wasn't super fast, but high sides feel like the same thing a football feels when the athlete throws it to the ground after achieving a goal in that particular 'cup based reward' sporting event.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #2362
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
lost rear brake on my 2011 ?

Fluid is full- adjuster is fine and operating plunger. I have not had time to research this too much yet and thought I would ask incase there is a common problem (and hopefully quick fix). I did take a minute to crack the bleeder and did get it to spit very slightly, but not really anything coming out. I suspect the master is bad ?
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:43 AM   #2363
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
Fluid is full- adjuster is fine and operating plunger. I have not had time to research this too much yet and thought I would ask incase there is a common problem (and hopefully quick fix). I did take a minute to crack the bleeder and did get it to spit very slightly, but not really anything coming out. I suspect the master is bad ?
Happened to me once...I was told that it can suck some air in. I drained it and refilled and it was fine.

FYI: Dealers sell a rebuild kit too...
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #2364
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Steering Stabilizers

I am looking at acquiring one of these devices. Which ones are most effective? Easiest to install? least troublesome? I have seen some folks like the GPR over the Scotts or Ohlins. I am sure this can get into the which oil thing real quick. I am looking for something that does not require a whole lot of modification to install. I am not a machinist and prefer the "bolt ons".
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #2365
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
I am looking at acquiring one of these devices. Which ones are most effective? Easiest to install? least troublesome?
IMO, the Scotts is the best option for a number of compelling reasons. The GPR has a very simple damping circuit that is either ineffective or intrusive. The Scotts, with a separate high and low speed adjustment, does its job much better. It's bolt on unless you have weird ergonomic requirements.

www.brpmoto.com has all the stuff...

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #2366
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,298
Quote:
I am looking at acquiring one of these devices. Which ones are most effective? Easiest to install? least troublesome? I have seen some folks like the GPR over the Scotts or Ohlins. I am sure this can get into the which oil thing real quick. I am looking for something that does not require a whole lot of modification to install. I am not a machinist and prefer the "bolt ons".
GPR is an inferior product and their customer service is TERRIBLE.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #2367
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Not only does the Scotts outperform other brands as Ned and others note, but it is easy to move between bikes once the mounts are set up. I use UTB mounts for one damper shared between my three bikes.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #2368
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,859
Quote:
IMO, the Scotts is the best option for a number of compelling reasons. The GPR has a very simple damping circuit that is either ineffective or intrusive. The Scotts, with a separate high and low speed adjustment, does its job much better. It's bolt on unless you have weird ergonomic requirements.

www.brpmoto.com has all the stuff...
I have both, and much prefer Scotts.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #2369
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
Happened to me once...I was told that it can suck some air in. I drained it and refilled and it was fine.

FYI: Dealers sell a rebuild kit too...
+2. Happened to Flanny's bike, and mine. Bled it, and all has been good since. I think these bikes can boil the rear brake fluid fairly easily and need bleeding after a hard/fast ride or race.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #2370
Fulano
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
I've owned both Scotts and GPR. Both are well made, competatively priced and offer helpfull service. Scott's has more adjustment but GPR will rebuild / service them for free if you are the original purchaser. I set mine and forget it. Usually after about 2 years I can tell the damping tolerances are slacking. Scott's charges $50 to $90 for servicing and recomends not going over 5 years.

All I need are loose shoes, tight pussy and a warm place to shit.
Fulano is offline   Reply With Quote