Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #2371
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,419
I have the Scotts underbar mount on my 300 and 530.

I have crashed on both of them multiple times and have never had an issue with anything bending or breaking.

guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #2372
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
+2. Happened to Flanny's bike, and mine. Bled it, and all has been good since. I think these bikes can boil the rear brake fluid fairly easily and need bleeding after a hard/fast ride or race.

dc

Sounds like the ticket, Maybe I better lay off that back brake a little , but shit, Last time I tapped my front an steep downhill I was superman on the rocks with a bunch of jeep boys watching me from their trail above. I made sure I got up and out before they could come down and tell me how funny that looked (and Im sure it did )
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #2373
malcolmzilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I am looking for a thermostat delete kit; its jetted correctly, I have the Power Parts fan, run water wetter but with the BPD guards and the Christini tank on our tight singletracks, it still nearly boils over, thus I'd like to take advantage of earlier circulation through the rads.

I have seen the machined spacers that go in the housing, but ideally I'd like a hose kit with machined brass or stainless plug to completely remove the thermostat housing and assist in increasing airflow.

Thanks fellas.

malcolmzilla screwed with this post 11-16-2011 at 10:34 AM
malcolmzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #2374
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,305
Think Samco is the only place to get the thermostat-delete hose kit, right?
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #2375
KTM Freak
MILF supporter

Oddometer: 35
There is no reason to spend money on a thermostat delete kit. I have always taken my stock thermostat out and taken a die-grinder and cut off the 2 tabs holding the thermostat a spring in place then file down what is remaining on the gutted housing and re-install. The thermostat is now deleted. It is a quick 5 minute fix.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #2376
malcolmzilla
Adventurer

Thanks for the t-stat tips.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #2377
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Freak View Post
There is no reason to spend money on a thermostat delete kit.
Well, there's one reason: it's kind of vulnerable. My brother broke the t-stat housing on his 450EXC and then got the Samco kit.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #2378
malcolmzilla
Adventurer

None of my buddies Jap bikes, or the 2 smoker XCW's overheat, and all have oversize tanks and rad guards, but also lack the EXCs thermostat and the associated airflow restriction of the tstat housing behind the rad.

Coincidence perhaps, but a couple small improvements may add up.

malcolmzilla screwed with this post 11-17-2011 at 02:48 PM
Old 11-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #2379
Weldit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
spring rates & weight ratings

I have tried the racetech spring rate calculator and it seems to recommend a .52 kg/mm fork
and a p25 shock spring for a 220 lb rider ( p for progressive ?)
the racetech #'s seem high on the fork to me - seemed they were high on there klx450 #'s too
it also seems from what I can read that not many people bother with the progressive rate springs
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
on an '09 exc530 and a 220 lb rider what are the recommended rates ?
not a racer - just a trail rider !
ps. are the stock #'s front .42kg/mm and rear 7.0 ?
Old 11-20-2011, 05:04 AM   #2380
PEET WEET
KTM !!

Oddometer: 1
Well been a keen viewer for months now and saw the nice long range tanks that all the guys on advrider have on their 530's. Anyway got myne a wile ago and apart from adding in range it makes the bike look a bit better for me anyway.

If I did not see it on this forum would have never know of this nice tanks so thanks GUYS !!
Attached Images

PEET WEET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #2381
VOLdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
white

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEET WEET View Post
Well been a keen viewer for months now and saw the nice long range tanks that all the guys on advrider have on their 530's. Anyway got myne a wile ago and apart from adding in range it makes the bike look a bit better for me anyway.

If I did not see it on this forum would have never know of this nice tanks so thanks GUYS !!

Good looking bike !
I think i gotta get the white frt fender now........
VOLdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #2382
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldit View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
on an '09 exc530 and a 220 lb rider what are the recommended rates ?
not a racer - just a trail rider !
ps. are the stock #'s front .42kg/mm and rear 7.0 ?
Easy to call Enduro Engineering to get the answer's plus additonal info...best phone call I made re:530 set-up. You will probably get Allan on 3 rings who is famous for setting up pro suspension and guided me to there stiffest springs.

I'm 270lb +gear and run the .50/9.6 straight rate combo. The suspension was designed for straight rate springs...who am I to mess with that. The suspension has progressiveness desined in through geometry and valving. YMMV

EE Fork Springs:

https://www.enduroeng.com/CategoryPr...C%2FXCW+models

EE Shock Springs

https://www.enduroeng.com/CategoryPr...+Shock+Springs

FlyingDutchman screwed with this post 11-20-2011 at 05:45 PM
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:27 AM   #2383
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Time to order a new tank. Nothing wrong with my original just need a bit more capacity. Would like to find a Clockworks tank in black if there is one made.

Now the trick question... If you had to choose one size of tank what size would it be? Stock 2+ gallon, 3.4 gallon, Super tanker 5-7 gallon? My bike has the electric fan on it also so that could be a limiting factor.

I will soon be needing to replace springs in the front and rear too. Thanks Dutchman for the EE info on the springs. Trying to get set-up for a partial TAT trip and just some overnighters.

Also I am running 14/48 sprockets and am looking for something to help with obstacle negotiation. Thinking of dropping to a 13 tooth up front at first and then maybe going to a 52 in the rear.

I think I will try removing the blue needle in the carb first and replacing it with the red one with the clip in the third position to see if it helps with the off idle stumble and low end grunt to help get the front end up over junk.
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike

Krazyjohnny screwed with this post 11-21-2011 at 06:32 AM
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #2384
KTM Freak
MILF supporter

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
Time to order a new tank. Nothing wrong with my original just need a bit more capacity. Would like to find a Clockworks tank in black if there is one made.

Now the trick question... If you had to choose one size of tank what size would it be? Stock 2+ gallon, 3.4 gallon, Super tanker 5-7 gallon? My bike has the electric fan on it also so that could be a limiting factor.

I will soon be needing to replace springs in the front and rear too. Thanks Dutchman for the EE info on the springs. Trying to get set-up for a partial TAT trip and just some overnighters.

Also I am running 14/48 sprockets and am looking for something to help with obstacle negotiation. Thinking of dropping to a 13 tooth up front at first and then maybe going to a 52 in the rear.

I think I will try removing the blue needle in the carb first and replacing it with the red one with the clip in the third position to see if it helps with the off idle stumble and low end grunt to help get the front end up over junk.
I have the Acerbis 6.3 tank on my 530, with the fan kit and it fits fine. This is the best place to get fuel tanks from.

http://justgastanks.com/Dirt-Bike-Ga...235/index.html
Old 11-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #2385
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
WTF Spark Plug

The listing for the spark plug in the manual and on the frame has not netted me one out of the store. I have been to KTM hutt, and KTM parts and come up empty handed. What is a good NGK number for my 08' 530 EXCR. The LK AR 8A-9 in the book seems to be a rare beast.
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote