User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #3001
barlytreat
FNG

Oddometer: 71
NEW to me 08 excr

Just purchased a new 530. I did not get a super deal on it, but it has lots of goodies. I'll post a pic up soon. Has anyone here had bad luck getting decent fuel in central america? Soon to drive to La Ceiba honduras, thanks
Old 04-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #3002
Bob599
Bob599

Oddometer: 284
Looking forward to the review

Thanks Ned, I know I am looking forward to the review too. That's why I am on this forum, to talk bikes with the 100 or so other similarly obsessed people in the world.

Oh and to say Ned has moved on is funny. Last week this Dakar Racer took time to post some help for a forum idiot who couldn't get His seat back on!
Old 04-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #3003
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 784
Connecting Rod Play

Ok back to serious stuff...I'm re-ring my psiton and noticed that the connecting rod hyas a bit of play in it...

How much play should be OK for another 150 hours??

Bike currently has 180hrs: cylinder looks like new; ring gap looks good, even with the old ones

Oh, and to avoid confusion thiss is the 530, not one of these fancy fuel injected ones

Oh, and I still haven't heard back from anyone on fitting Renthal Twinwalls on this bike...how do you get all the controls to fit?
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #3004
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 883
As stated earlier in the thread I recently traded my 250 xcw for an 08 530. The bike runs great, has had the crank seal replaced as well as the oil seal etc. I have no issues with oil transfer. The bike also has the dirt tricks CCT. I also just checked the valves and they were all in spec. That all being said, can someone tell me what in the hell the ticking noise is?
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #3005
haknslash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
As stated earlier in the thread I recently traded my 250 xcw for an 08 530. The bike runs great, has had the crank seal replaced as well as the oil seal etc. I have no issues with oil transfer. The bike also has the dirt tricks CCT. I also just checked the valves and they were all in spec. That all being said, can someone tell me what in the hell the ticking noise is?
What area of the ticking sound? Mine has a slight tick but it comes from the header area where it goes to the motor. It's only held there with springs and I've pushed fuel out thru there before once when I flooded the bike. So I know it's not a 100% seal like a traditional bolted flange connection is. So it's a real small exhaust leak in my case I believe. That's what I chalk my tick up as anyways. Not sure where you are talking about on your bike though so let us know more...
Old 04-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #3006
Gehrcke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
I agree, might be exhaust.
Gehrcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #3007
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
EE Tall Soft Seat cut down post ride

I went and cut down my Enduro Engineering Tall Soft seat so I could touch the ground much better. It seemed to be the magic bullet. That was until my wife was able to hop on it and take off.

I remember her saying she didn't want another dirt bike

She did say the 530 was bit much for her so maybe I will at least get to have this as my own for a while longer. It is all good no matter. Just trying to keep the three of all on decent machines.
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #3008
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,784
Quote:
I would have said the CCT, but with the Dirt Tricks one, I guess I'm not sure. Does it diminish with revs?

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #3009
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
I would have said the CCT, but with the Dirt Tricks one, I guess I'm not sure. Does it diminish with revs?

I wonder if it's possible that some of these Dirt Tricks CCT's are defective? I have one in mine and mine still has the noise. I could swear it's coming from the CCT area too. Although it's hard to tell forsure.
bikepikespeak.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #3010
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepikespeak.com View Post
I wonder if it's possible that some of these Dirt Tricks CCT's are defective? I have one in mine and mine still has the noise. I could swear it's coming from the CCT area too. Although it's hard to tell forsure.
I think you could pull the valve cover and check tension on the cam chain.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #3011
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 883
For those that were thinking it could be exhaust. I'm positive that's not what this noise is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Yes it does decrease and increase with revs. Does the cam chain make a ticking noise on these bikes if it's loose? I realize we're talking about completely different motors. But I've had experiences in the past with defective cct's (on my V4 specifically) and that made more of a rattling sound. I suppose it's entirely possible that the dirt tricks unit could be bad as it was installed before I got the bike. I guess the only way to find out is to order up a new one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
I think you could pull the valve cover and check tension on the cam chain.
The chain tension looked OK to me when I check the valves.

Edit:
I guess it does sound close to this. I'm going to order a new CCT and see what happens.

onetravdown screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 07:56 AM
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #3012
S H I F T Y
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Is anybody running a Pro Moto Billet Rack and a Giant Loop Mojavi at the same time? How does it work? Pics?
S H I F T Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #3013
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,136
Wow

I've been following this thread for awhile and finally traded my KLR for a 2010 KTM 530exc but now I'm a little worried about asking any questions on this thread since it seems to be getting a little scary I do have faith that it will get back on track soon and with some photos of all the great KTM's out there.

I will ask anyone who lives in Colorado a question though. How high (might be a loaded question there) can you get (stay with me) up onto the passes such as Black Bear, Mosquito, Cinnamon, etc., at this particular time. I know it's different every year and depends on this and that but I'm wondering if anyone's ventured up recently. I am soooooo jealous that you guys have seen temps in the 20c (whoops went metric on ya there) meant in the 70's for the last two months give or take, while the snow has been slowly melting up here. Might be looking to head down there for a week or two nearer to the end of this month and just looking for some input where I can ride the 530.

Thanks!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #3014
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
I've been following this thread for awhile and finally traded my KLR for a 2010 KTM 530exc but now I'm a little worried about asking any questions on this thread since it seems to be getting a little scary I do have faith that it will get back on track soon and with some photos of all the great KTM's out there.

I will ask anyone who lives in Colorado a question though. How high (might be a loaded question there) can you get (stay with me) up onto the passes such as Black Bear, Mosquito, Cinnamon, etc., at this particular time. I know it's different every year and depends on this and that but I'm wondering if anyone's ventured up recently. I am soooooo jealous that you guys have seen temps in the 20c (whoops went metric on ya there) meant in the 70's for the last two months give or take, while the snow has been slowly melting up here. Might be looking to head down there for a week or two nearer to the end of this month and just looking for some input where I can ride the 530.

Thanks!
There are better people than me to answer your question, but I think the gist of it will be "not very far". I would guess another 2 months at the least for the majority of fun/challenging passes to be open.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #3015
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
Calling me a know it all... thats rich... 7000 post trol...I see your a Haydaisy fan, or are you his girlfriend, Tex?

I have no interest in the basement but thanks for the invite. Is this what goes on down there? Are you trying to get this thread sent to the basement?
This is not Jo Momma, enjoy your week off and let's keep Thumpers about the bikes, OK?

Thanks
CA Stu